Jaguar Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Thanks for that simple explanation, enlightened me as well.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Many thanks James. I asked for a simple explanation and you obliged. I am now enlightened and also appreciative
Harry
Simple answer to why it's in the boot is space, there is no space to put it in the cabin. The most unique aspect of bass is that it is non-directional to the human ear, which means that regardless of where the subwoofer is placed in the vehicle, the bass sound is heard as coming from all around the car. This is why so many subwoofers are placed in the boot of a vehicle where they seemingly would have their sound distorted by the rear seats of the car. The direction of the bass range cannot be determined by the human ear, so the sounds coming from the boot have the same impact as if they were emanating from in front of or on the sides of the listener.

James

·
Registered
2 Posts
Simple answer to why it's in the boot is space, there is no space to put it in the cabin. The most unique aspect of bass is that it is non-directional to the human ear, which means that regardless of where the subwoofer is placed in the vehicle, the bass sound is heard as coming from all around the car. This is why so many subwoofers are placed in the boot of a vehicle where they seemingly would have their sound distorted by the rear seats of the car. The direction of the bass range cannot be determined by the human ear, so the sounds coming from the boot have the same impact as if they were emanating from in front of or on the sides of the listener.

James

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
Lots of them, with plugs on the end. You really need to be much more specific! Plus this thread is 8 years old, the OP hasn't been around for years. Try an intro in the new members section and start a new thread in an appropriate section for what you're wanting info on. Welcome, BTW 😁

·
Registered
9,346 Posts
There is also a thread on fitting an aftermarket sub in the X260 section. Gav and I have done it.
You'll need an x250 wiring diagram for the correct wires to tap into.

One thing of note, placement of the sub in the boot is important due to reflection of the waves.
I initially placed my two 8" sub enclosures behind the back seat facing backward, this didn't really produce and real thump with the doors closed, but I noticed that opening the drivers door increased the bass levels markedly. Obs not ideal to drive along with the door open....

After a lot of experimentation I found that the best place for the boxes was right at the boot opening facing forward, which gave great bass and allowed me to keep the door closed!
It's not particularly practical though.

I've just aquired a 12" single and will have a play with that to see if placing it facing up from the floor is any better.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
What wires go to amp for speaker's
It’s been a while since I’ve had a look so I don’t remember. If you have a look at the Amp you may be able to see which wires are for the speakers.
If I get a free 10 mins I’ll go take a look at mine.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts