Jaguar Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Maybe it's also harder to notice on pre facelifts due to the somewhat lower resolution of the display. As said I never noticed this on my pre facelift XFS, but maybe also because the fuel level didn't decrease as fast in the XFS and I paid less attention.

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
Maybe it's also harder to notice on pre facelifts due to the somewhat lower resolution of the display. As said I never noticed this on my pre facelift XFS, but maybe also because the fuel level didn't decrease as fast in the XFS and I paid less attention.
It's not how many pixels we have but how we use them that counts...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Mine goes down at a rather rapid rate of knots anyway so a high resolution isn't really required!

·
Registered
5,283 Posts
If you drive heavy more fuel is pumped in to the pump and the lines... it goes in at a higher pressure... if it doesn't get used it goes down the tank return lines and back to the tank... possibly why it went up?
I'm calling BS on this.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Bumping this old goodie because yesterday I had the biggest tank content (n.b. - not range number) display fluctuations I've seen so far. Came back from a drive last night and for once parked the car on my inclined drive up to the garage. Then I parked the car in my garage a couple of minutes later. Never paid attention to the remaining fuel.

A few hours later I had to go out again and when leaving I noticed that the tank according to the graph was about 1/8, just above the red part of the bar. I drove about 15 miles before I was home again, and although I mostly drove it quite hard which usually makes the fuel meter drop quite quickly I noticed that it kept increasing to well above 1/4 of the tank. So while driving it adjusted the displayed level of (supposedly) remaining fuel by more then 1/8 of a tank.

I guess parking for a while on the incline messed up the measurement and that the car "remembered" that faulty measurement a bit later, although it also had been parked on level ground.

It's really a bit odd how this readout, although it looks like it shows the amount of fuel in the tank, actually is some kind of graphical representation of the expected range which is calculated on the fly but with a bit of a delay and obviously being quite sensitive to if the car is level or an an incline. Doesn't bother me though, since I know that it works this way. One of the things that give these cars their character I guess. ;)

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Yep, it's not a direct read out of the tank contents. You can only really access that by plugging in. What you think is the actual tank contents is actually more closely aligned to the shown range figure.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
No doubt about how it works now and interesting that it can fluctuate as much as 1/8 of a tank. I suspect that these fluctuations are most noticeable in petrols where the tank is a bit smaller (IIRC) and the consumption can vary more than in the diesels.

Can’t remember ever noticing this in a non JLR car and I wonder how other manufacturers solve this.

·
Registered
9,572 Posts
It'll be the sender. They're damped but drive up or down a long slope and the fuel gauge will change, all cars are the same except those manufactures that could measure the attitude of the car and compensate suitably

21 - 29 of 29 Posts