Jaguar Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, can someone tell me why when I'm filling my car with diesel the fuel pump pistol just keeps "bouncing" and stops, it should do it when the tank is full but it just happens every few seconds...I could also swear that the pistol is not going far enough into the hole in my opinion...When I'm looking into the fueling hole I dont see anything blocking it - there are two little plastic "bolts" inside on each side of the fueling entry hole but they dont look like they are to be moved or anything...did any one had a similar problem and was able to fix it ??

Thanks

Registered
has the misfueling device been triggered? There should be a yellow reset tool on top of your battery.
Failing that try a different pump and some seem more sensitive than others

Registered
Quite often caused by low quality fuel that lacks sufficient anti foaming additive. Much more likely to get it with supermarket fuel than something like BP Ultra, It never happens when I use ultra but is a real pain if I need to load supermarket fuel, just try it and see.

I don't want to get into the no difference in quality/waste of money debate of buying premium fuels but there is plenty of info out there to research if required ;)

Registered
If it's every few seconds, the misfuel protection has been triggered and needs to be reset.

If it's every 30s or so, then it's the pump foaming.

Firm Rampant Member
I found the x250 was more susceptible to this.
i used to turn the nozzle 90掳 towards the boot and this seemed to help.

Registered
I get it all the time, refuelling is a bit of a slow process.

Registered
Thought it was air pockets in the tank. Disappears normally after a while/drive. Had it on various pumps over the years on various cars, even without misfuel protection devices

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
I have occasionally had this, often next fill at a different station was OK. Have had to use the reset tool even though not had incorrect nozzle in (ooh err missus). On my first XF I was having some problems and had to have the filler neck replaced, was under warranty so no idea of cost.

Firm Rampant Member
I have occasionally had this, often next fill at a different station was OK. Have had to use the reset tool even though not had incorrect nozzle in (ooh err missus). On my first XF I was having some problems and had to have the filler neck replaced, was under warranty so no idea of cost.

That's a good call, I'd forgotten about that.
With the X250 I had the neck replaced with the baffles ( a fix to stop the issue with fuel slapping about).

Registered
If it's every few seconds, the misfuel protection has been triggered and needs to be reset.

If it's every 30s or so, then it's the pump foaming.

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, we can close the post now. I have now learned that the pump I was using was a high speed pump and the flow of diesel was triggering that...there was no indicator on the pump that it is a high speed mainly for filling tanks as it is in the same line with normal pumps :) Nothing like that ever happened at a normal pump :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts