Jaguar Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just about given up on ever fixing this...

Having searched far and wide on this popular subject I have yet to find a conclusive answer. Many members have posted about this but has anyone come up with a definitive solution.

To clarify it's the droning inside the car at roughly 1100-1200 rpm and 1500 rpm but mainly in 5th and 6th gears with light or a bit more throttle. On mine (2009 3.0D PL) it's worse at lower revs.

I've replaced the fuel filter, most fuel pipes with new rubber pipes, tried to insulate pipes from the body in the front wheel arch but nothing improves it.

Thought it could be the exhaust, so changed bits like flexi joints, rubber mounts, neutralised the system many times. Nothing makes any difference.

I only get it driving, stationary there is nothing, just minor engine vibrations.

Put the car up for sale but hate to be beaten - it must be curable?

Sorry, ranting on there...

Colin

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Hi Colin, welcome to the forum!

What leads you to think the droning you have is fuel delivery related? If only heard during vehicle movement, wouldn't it be more logical to assume it's mechanical and transmission related, read diff, propshaft bearings, wheel bearings etc?

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
Isn‘t this known issue on the early XFs?

·
Administrator
27,963 Posts
Yes - I recall something about it too.

Reactions: Shrek

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Colin, welcome to the forum!

What leads you to think the droning you have is fuel delivery related? If only heard during vehicle movement, wouldn't it be more logical to assume it's mechanical and transmission related, read diff, propshaft bearings, wheel bearings etc?
Thanks for adding some ideas cutlea01,

I did wonder about the transmission but research, been trawling the internet for over 2 years.. Quite a few have had similar noise and changed the torque converter to no avail - too costly to try anyway!

As for wheels bearings etc I would expect most of that to increase with speed revs and be there always. My noise is just a drone from apparently around the passenger foot well/rear (very hard to tell. It's come on with very slight throttle and a bit more. Take your foot off and silence! It's also at very specific revs, goes completely after 1500.

I've also looked at other forums, general internet and fuel line resonance in diesels is quite common but to compound that exhaust droning is also common in large engines, dual exhausts etc.

I'd love to resolve it and enjoy the car. Google brings up post by a now banned member ExFS who investigated this extensively but cannot find more info...

To add to that there is apparently, cant find that either a service bulletin TSB JTB00509V3 on exhaust vibration resonance.

The saga continues... any thoughts welcome

·
Registered
MY 2012 XF S Portfolio Ultimate Black
1,118 Posts
Thanks for adding some ideas cutlea01,

I did wonder about the transmission but research, been trawling the internet for over 2 years.. Quite a few have had similar noise and changed the torque converter to no avail - too costly to try anyway!

As for wheels bearings etc I would expect most of that to increase with speed revs and be there always. My noise is just a drone from apparently around the passenger foot well/rear (very hard to tell. It's come on with very slight throttle and a bit more. Take your foot off and silence! It's also at very specific revs, goes completely after 1500.

I've also looked at other forums, general internet and fuel line resonance in diesels is quite common but to compound that exhaust droning is also common in large engines, dual exhausts etc.

I'd love to resolve it and enjoy the car. Google brings up post by a now banned member ExFS who investigated this extensively but cannot find more info...

To add to that there is apparently, cant find that either a service bulletin TSB JTB00509V3 on exhaust vibration resonance.

Have you ever checked the car on a lift when someone revving the engine?
I guess it’s not a noise from speakers or cooled seat fan? I.e. it is louder when windows are down.

the sound in below video isn’t the one you talk about right?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have you ever checked the car on a lift when someone revving the engine?
I guess it’s not a noise from speakers or cooled seat fan? I.e. it is louder when windows are down.

the sound in below video isn’t the one you talk about right?
Doesn't sound like my noise, that's more like a boom! Mine is a drone, just like something rattling against the body work. If the fuel in the lines vibrates this gets passed into the body working where the lines are clamped under the car, so acting bit like a speaker - that's the theory I've heard. Mine is quite subtle as well but once you've heard it, it's stuck in your head.

Did you find out what was causing that?

·
Registered
18,724 Posts
. . . . . .

It may be worth your while to register yourself on Topix. Search for that TSB and you will probably be told you need to pay to see it. Not sure how much it is but as I said, could be worth it because it does suggest to me it's going to be more the exhaust than a liquid resonating in a small bore tube.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Doesn't sound like my noise, that's more like a boom! Mine is a drone, just like something rattling against the body work. If the fuel in the lines vibrates this gets passed into the body working where the lines are clamped under the car, so acting bit like a speaker - that's the theory I've heard. Mine is quite subtle as well but once you've heard it, it's stuck in your head.

Did you find out what was causing that?
I found some issue and it improved a lot but not 100%. The clip before first turbo was loose. Also the exhaust joint after the catalytic converter was loose. The sealer washer was moving around as well. I think sometimes I still hear that noise and since my gearbox oil is due to change I am waiting to see if it has anything to do with that. Only when I lift off the throttle this noise happens.

while looking for this, I found that one nut on the heat shield between drive shaft and dpf was loose. The symptom was similar to yours but I didn’t have resonance at anything a little above idle . Also when engine was running and nobody was in driver seat noise wasn’t there. When someone was there, noise started. Do you have an audio/video of how it sounds like?

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Have you seen post #2 in below thread? I think it was the exact issue on mine. I took exhaust apart for an engine rebuild and when I put the v clamp on, there was no issues. After few thousand miles they started to leak and made above mentioned noise. I guess it’s due to the expansions while DPF regeneration. All I did was loosen everything and fit the V clamp and tighten them first before tightening other fixings. This is opposite of what WM says that needs fixing the catalytic converter and down pipe first before fitting the V clamp. That way they won’t align properly. I also applied an smear of exhaust repair paste.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I found some issue and it improved a lot but not 100%. The clip before first turbo was loose. Also the exhaust joint after the catalytic converter was loose. The sealer washer was moving around as well. I think sometimes I still hear that noise and since my gearbox oil is due to change I am waiting to see if it has anything to do with that. Only when I lift off the throttle this noise happens.

while looking for this, I found that one nut on the heat shield between drive shaft and dpf was loose. The symptom was similar to yours but I didn’t have resonance at anything a little above idle . Also when engine was running and nobody was in driver seat noise wasn’t there. When someone was there, noise started. Do you have an audio/video of how it sounds like?
Thanks for your posts hamedhbb,
I have spent a lot of time looking for something around the exhausts that could cause a rattle but nothing found. Need to look again - sun is out for a change too :cool: Loosened, as you did, the V clamps, they were tight anyway and readjusted the system. Also have had most of the exhaust off but not the DPF (only have ramps) bit no change at all!

As for a recording of the noise it's so slight I guess you would only hear the road and engine. It's nosiest at about 1100 rpm in 5th at about 40mph - sounds like something is very loose and rattling/droning on the bodywork. I think on a rolling road might be an idea??

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Thanks for your posts hamedhbb,
I have spent a lot of time looking for something around the exhausts that could cause a rattle but nothing found. Need to look again - sun is out for a change too :cool: Loosened, as you did, the V clamps, they were tight anyway and readjusted the system. Also have had most of the exhaust off but not the DPF (only have ramps) bit no change at all!

As for a recording of the noise it's so slight I guess you would only hear the road and engine. It's nosiest at about 1100 rpm in 5th at about 40mph - sounds like something is very loose and rattling/droning on the bodywork. I think on a rolling road might be an idea??
If I look for something loose, I use a rubber hammer and hit different parts from body, to plastic trims, Drive shaft, exhaust etc until I hear a similar noise. And narrow it down.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts