Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! Last week i bought my first ever Jaguar, and it is XF-S 3.0 Petrol 2013.

But after some time i've noticed that something is wrong with my fuel level.

I had 1/4th tank left and I filled a full tank, as a result, 40 liters went into the tank. As far as I know, the total volume of my tank is 70 liters.

After that, I began to notice that the fuel level drops sharply to a quarter of a tank, and then the fuel level seems to slow down.

I removed the petrol pump, filter and fuel gauge and cleaned them out. As a result, it got worse. Now that I've filled the tank full, I only see 3/4.

I cannot understand what is the problem.

Has anyone experienced this? Please help.

The official service requested $600 to replace the fuel level sensor, but I am sure that this problem can be solved in an easier way.

Car Wheel Vehicle Automotive parking light Grille

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
The official service requested $600 to replace the fuel level sensor, but I am sure that this problem can be solved in an easier way.
Why are you sure there's an easier fix? It would need to be changed if it's faulty. You should be able to check this, if you can operate the level sensor while removed from the car, although messy having the fuel tank open and exposed. Move the float to it's full tank position and turn on the ignition. There isn't an easier way to fix without testing the existing or replacing it to check it was actually faulty. Of course, if testing or replacing the level sensor doesn't fix the displayed level then further investigation will be needed, though it's likely the level float is faulty. Or maybe you can get a used one from a vehicle dismantler? Caution, the parts catalogue shows 2 different arrangements depending on chassis number and year. Early cars had a seperate fuel pump and a separate sender, later cars a single combined unit.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
If removing the float/sensor, be very careful. Remember this is petrol.

But reading MoJo88's post, sounds as if this won't be necessary.

Paul.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts