61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
Holy thread revival batman.

·
Registered
67 Posts
.....And thread back from the dead again! I have had this problem and still do, a bit. First time it happened I eventually ripped the flap off because I was in a rush and needed fuel and amazingly it detached perfectly and was easily put back on, thank god! . The next time I was more circumspect and tried pushing the flap at different points. I found middle near top was the golden spot, but still takes an average of 3 pushes I would say. To avoid performance anxiety at the petrol station I open the flap on my drive or ipark up and then go to local petrol station. I have learned to live with it.It always opens eventually, and I’m getting better at hitting the sweet spot, but that tip on the pull ring from the boot is good to know!

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
I would personally... Look at changing the release mechanism on it.

Once it starts playing up, and isn't sorted by a good bit of lubrication, then it'll eventually fail entirely and you'll be a whole load of problems all of a sudden when you can't fill it up.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I had this problem on my first XF (2008). I squirted WD40 into the locking mechanism, opened and closed it a few times and problem was solved for about 12 months. After that I made sure to treat it every six months or so and never had the problem again. I used plastic trim removal tools to lever it open when it first got stuck.

Reactions: Ianf

·
Super Moderator
11,336 Posts
I had this problem on my first XF (2008). I squirted WD40 into the locking mechanism, opened and closed it a few times and problem was solved for about 12 months. After that I made sure to treat it every six months or so and never had the problem again. I used plastic trim removal tools to lever it open when it first got stuck.
Same here

Reactions: Ianf

·
Registered
67 Posts
I would personally... Look at changing the release mechanism on it.

Once it starts playing up, and isn't sorted by a good bit of lubrication, then it'll eventually fail entirely and you'll be a whole load of problems all of a sudden when you can't fill it up.
That maybe what I end up doing, but first it’s cleaning and lubrication, and in meantime we have tge emergency release cable? I haven’t had time to look yet, but I do have a sort of removable cover in the boot that looks to be in the right area..

·
Registered
10,063 Posts
That maybe what I end up doing, but first it’s cleaning and lubrication, and in meantime we have tge emergency release cable? I haven’t had time to look yet, but I do have a sort of removable cover in the boot that looks to be in the right area..
I had the same problem, you can prise the cover off in an emergency but wouldn't want to do this lots of times.
I lubricated with some silicon spray and never had a problem since I sold it.
They're no other emergency cable I'm afraid :(

·
Registered
67 Posts
Thanks for that, but seems to be conflicting info. See Charlie Farlies below...Will be having a look tomorrow...
I had the same problem, you can prise the cover off in an emergency but wouldn't want to do this lots of times.
I lubricated with some silicon spray and never had a problem since I sold it.
They're no other emergency cable I'm afraid :(
[/QUOTE
Just found this on a google search

This actuator can be sorted out as you say... but for now... if you go in the boot area , peel back the carpets in the area of where the fuel flap is .. ( there may even be a cut-out --If I recall ) .... but you will find there a pull - ring...

This is attached to the flap lock and is the emergence release for the flap - for people stuck as you are.

So you just pull the wire - and the flap will open. You can use this as often as you need until you get it fixed properly ;)
Unquote

Anyone else aware of this or ever had to do it ??

Cheers

·
Registered
10,063 Posts
Oh might well be Ian, but can’t remember seeing it, trust Charlie though, sorry!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Today I had a proper look at the interior bit of the boot on the right side. released two retainers and pulled boot lining down. It was a bit cramped but had a good feel around a very busy area, couldn’t find anything that I thought may do the job, so took a couple of photos of what’s there to see if I can make any sense of it. Which I can’t. So, put panel back, cleaned and oiled the little gubbins that I could see on the outside of car with flap open, and all now works as it should... I’m hoping CF is following this thread and may enlighten me, but I’m happy at mo.

·
Registered
10,063 Posts
Ian, CF hasn’t posted in a long time I’m afraid :(

Reactions: PeteA

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
Gav, you are so pessimistic sometimes :rolleyes: .. I mean really, whatever is up with you.. it was only Feb 17, 2016 that he was last seen on jaginfo... :LOL:

·
Registered
10,063 Posts
Gav, you are so pessimistic sometimes :rolleyes: .. I mean really, whatever is up with you.. it was only Feb 17, 2016 that he was last seen on jaginfo... :LOL:
Sorry that’s my Scottish dour thinking shining through:(

Reactions: PeteA

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
A mixture of Scotchland and Yorkshireland is unlikely to be a joyous in terms of positiveness tbh Gav...

It'd be almost as bad a coming from Cornwall... :D

Reactions: Gav

·
Registered
6,473 Posts
Ahh, Yorksh-Ireland, that’s my mate Paul then. It’s decent enough

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

61 - 77 of 77 Posts