Jaguar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Detailing Guru
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had this the day I picked the car up and asked Stratstone to sort it when it was in for service but yesterday when trying to fill up the blooming fuel flap refused to open... Took an age but it finally popped open.

When home I sprayed a bit of WD 40 on the mechanism. Well I did when I finally got it open again !! I know from memory this is a common issue on the XF but cant remember the remedy ?

When it does pop open there is a sort of electric sound like from a small servo ? So Im assuming its not just a sticky catch.. The car has been stood for some months so this may be partly to blame ??

Thanks.

·
RIP Tony, member number 7
5,839 Posts
When I bought my car the dealer told me about this issue...although I believe it had been fixed on the MY11 cars...The emergency solution is to slide a credit card passed the locking mechanism...I seem to recall reading the dealer fix for this is free..irrespective of whether your car is in warranty or not

·
Administrator
27,753 Posts
I recall this was a problem in early cars and there was an official fix for it.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
I asked before I bought my 2.7 knowing it was an early one and the salesman told me the key to avoiding it sticking is lubrication. He suggested door hinge grease was best. He said the problem is if it does get sticky, the mechanism can get damaged trying to force it, then you need new parts. He showed me the grease on mine and I never had any problems with it.

·
Detailing Guru
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I asked before I bought my 2.7 knowing it was an early one and the salesman told me the key to avoiding it sticking is lubrication. He suggested door hinge grease was best. He said the problem is if it does get sticky, the mechanism can get damaged trying to force it, then you need new parts. He showed me the grease on mine and I never had any problems with it.
Where exactly does it need grease ??

Thanks ...

·
Registered
654 Posts
On mine it stuck a few times, Jaguar assistance attended, they filed part of the plastic where the catch meets the locking mechanism, It still stuck intermitently after that, dam annoying and quite embarrasing when your at the pumps.
As you press the flap cover it activates a servo that retracts the locking system, the cure is a new servo, which was done under warranty.
Mine was an 08 model

·
Registered
32 Posts
I had the same problem and applied some grease to the catch and that did the job ( this was well over a year ago and it's still fine...well it was!)

·
Registered
629 Posts
After 3.5 years of ownership I had this problem for the first time at the weekend - I blame the cold weather we had recently! A well timed pull/flick using a credit card got it open and it now seems fine but will use some WD40 or grease when I get a chance.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Where exactly does it need grease ??

Thanks ...
On my 2.7 it was spread fairly liberally all round the hinge pivot area, although I never took a really close look at exactly where. Sorry, I know that's not much help.

·
Executive Member
3,188 Posts
Guys - don't use WD40. It has many uses but not one of a long term lubricant. It dries to a thick treackly mixture and ceases to lubricate, rather cakes things up. Use oil or grease as appropriate to the job.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Guys - don't use WD40. It has many uses but not one of a long term lubricant. It dries to a thick treackly mixture and ceases to lubricate, rather cakes things up. Use oil or grease as appropriate to the job.
Second that. Salesman definitely said use door hinge grease and mine was covered in a white grease that looked like it had been sprayed. He also said push in the middle of the cover to release it, not at the end where it opens. Don't know if everyone knows that.
It seems to be a very complicated system to do a relatively simple job.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I agree, WD40 is basically white spirit and light oil, but doesn't work well as a long-term lubricant for some reason. I swear by aerosol spray grease for many hinge type applications.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
On mine it stuck a few times, Jaguar assistance attended, they filed part of the plastic where the catch meets the locking mechanism, It still stuck intermitently after that, dam annoying and quite embarrasing when your at the pumps.
As you press the flap cover it activates a servo that retracts the locking system, the cure is a new servo, which was done under warranty.
Mine was an 08 model
How long ago?
My dealer wanted about £200 for a new bowl to cure it and as of yet I have not bothered. A bit of grease sounds cheaper!

·
Saintly Member
1,644 Posts

·
Detailing Guru
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks guys .. I have taken the liberty of sending a PM to Sturges to ask if this servo can be fixed outside of warranty as the car has only 17.000 miles on it now.
We re locate back to the midlands late this month as contracts were exchanged last Thursday and even though Sturges is a hike from where we will be I shall be visiting them for service ect when the time comes up due to the reputation and recommendations I see here on an almost daily basis.....
In the meantime I will apply some grease to see if it eases the problem...

Thanks again !

·
Administrator
27,753 Posts
Charlie - don't ever take your wife into Sturgess with you, they will only sell her an Evoque too.............:facepalm7:

·
Detailing Guru
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Charlie - don't ever take your wife into Sturgess with you, they will only sell her an Evoque too.............:facepalm7:
Yes good advice Wilf.. Though when we travel to have the car serviced which is what we have done while living in Scotland we tend to go to the dealers and drop off the car and our old dealer was kind enough to drop us in the town centre (Stirling) and pick us up later in the day when the car was done.. So that allowed us a day out somewhere different ... May have to steer the wife away from the showroom door ?

What is Leicester town centre like ?

Cheers !

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Ahhhh....we'll be gentle Charlie :)

Leicester is good for shopping, especially if you are a woman ;)

I've got an answer for you....I'll send you a PM in the morning if that's ok......fit to drop right now :eek:

1 - 20 of 77 Posts