Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Though I'd start a thread about the woes of what I thought would be a simple enough job, to replace the front suspension front lower arm large bush which my last MoT identified as "soft".

Put the car up on stands, didn't think I'd need the ramp. Removed the wheels and the undertray and the nearside wheel arch liner. Undid the bolt holding the front lower arm (banana arm) to the rear control arm and discovered the bolt was bent. Would have taken some force to bend that.

Next I couldn't remove the bolt holding the front lower arm to the chassis, as ChrisB found out, there's a trans cooler bolted to the subframe and one of the mounting bracket's bolts protrudes enough to prevent the suspension bolt being removed. Solution here is to remove the single 8mm screw holding the trans cooler to it's bracket, lever it up, put a large socket between the cooler and bracket acting as a spacer, allowing access to the 13mm bolt head. Using a swan-neck spanner, loosen it enough the chassis arm bolt can pass below it.

Having the correct tools makes replacing the bush a doddle.

But then I noticed the small end bush where the bent bolt was has a shattered insert, and that bush isn't available so a new arm is needed :mad:

Anyone bought one of the "cheap" unbranded arms which seem to be on Ebay? I'm not paying Jaguar £500 for one.

·
Super Moderator
30,287 Posts
That’s bad luck all round :(

Matt @ Spires seemed to think you can get the bolt out without moving the trans cooler but I tried for a good 20 minutes and couldn’t find the right angle and rotation of the bolt (as the head is eccentric). A few people on Facebook mentioned trimming the last 5mm or so off the trans cooler mount bolt that’s in the way but I don’t like cutting bolts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The method I came up with, once I saw how you did it, worked a treat, but you do need a 13mm swan-neck spanner.

Reactions: ChrisSB

·
Super Moderator
30,287 Posts
I used a small ratchet to get that bolt out just enough to get the suspension bolt past it.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Decided to go second hand. The small bush tends not to wear, except when you find yours is shattered, and I have a brand new genuine Jaguar large bush I'll fit to it. I suspect the car hit something hard, before my ownership, causing minor suspension damage. I can't see anything else damaged.

Reactions: ChrisSB

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
XJ Portfolio.2014.Amethyst Black.
942 Posts
Naive question…..if Jaguar fit Lemforder as OEM, why are they charging £500.00 and Trodo £106.00…? No reply solicited…just needed to type question. Usual answer will be overheads.
Overheads are the same whether busy or quiet.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Because they can and where genuine parts are required the insurance companies pay the price? It's just a big rip off really.

Off side bush replaced in the arm, just need the new nuts, bolts and the replacement N/S arm to complete now. There was a tiny tear to the small bush boot, a smear of decent quality RTV should sort that.

Reactions: BigKev and ChrisSB

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hmmmm. WM states that the front lower wishbone outer bolt should be replaced if removed, along with all nuts. As above, one of mine is bent anyway, so duley ordered the correct parts, superseded to part number T4N3679, item 11:

Font Auto part Automotive exterior Automotive window part Motor vehicle

This is the bolt or rather screw this is now being supplied, I don't agree it is correct as from an engineering perspective it should be a shouldered bolt, a screw will have the threads acting inside the steel bushing sleeve. It is the correct part, Jaguar supplied however.

Household hardware Tool Nickel Screw Fastener

Thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
30,287 Posts
When I looked the WM said to replace the nut. That’s all I did.

·
Registered
6,395 Posts
Hmmmm. WM states that the front lower wishbone outer bolt should be replaced if removed, along with all nuts. As above, one of mine is bent anyway, so duley ordered the correct parts, superseded to part number T4N3679, item 11:

View attachment 188059
This is the bolt or rather screw this is now being supplied, I don't agree it is correct as from an engineering perspective it should be a shouldered bolt, a screw will have the threads acting inside the steel bushing sleeve. It is the correct part, Jaguar supplied however.

View attachment 188060

Thoughts?
I wouldn’t fit that in place of a shouldered bolt personally.

·
Registered
8,572 Posts

View attachment 188059

View attachment 188060

Thoughts?
Bearing in mind that the previous bolt was slightly wider just below the head/washer.. and had pressure applied just before the threads start which caused it to bend, I'd not be happy with using a screw due to the forces involved at that point and the weaker nature of a screw...
As Shrek just said.. but in fewer words... :D

• Haha
Reactions: Shrek

·
Registered
8,572 Posts
When I looked the WM said to replace the nut. That’s all I did.
Your shouldered bolt wasn't bent and needing replacing though..

·
Super Moderator
30,287 Posts
Your shouldered bolt wasn't bent and needing replacing though..
No. Just responding to his comment about the WM.

·
Registered
21,308 Posts
Funny that the exploded diagram shows it as a bolt but that's a set-pin in the photo.
If you know the thread size or have a thread gauge, there'll be an engineer's supplier who will sell you a suitable, high tensile bolt.

Reactions: Ben Scott

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Jaw Gesture Font Elbow Art

WM says to discard the nut and bolt.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have compared both fasteners and reviewed how each fits.

Household hardware Font Auto part Tool Nut

The original bolt is shouldered at the top, this shoulder fits totally within the upper flange of the rear lower arm. The thinner section of the bolt fits within the bush center sleeve, which has an internal bore of 12.1mm. 10mm of the threads remain in the bush sleeve. Therefore, the top section of the front lower arm bush can move quite freely against the non-threaded portion of the bolt. Replacing the bolt with the screw, there is much less lateral movement, due to the overall larger diameter of the thread. I'm not actually 100% happy to fit either now! But I'm happier to fit the screw than the bolt due to the lesser free movement of the non-tightened parts. I do wonder if the lesser diameter of the bolt shank and therefore the free movement of the bush sleeve contributed to the bent bolt under whatever stress caused it?

·
Registered
21,308 Posts
It's a flanged head bolt. You could use a standard hexagonal head bolt with a washer. The shank should be the same diameter as the screw thread. I'm wondering if the used bolt has stretched.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts