·
Registered
18,243 Posts
A failing injector?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
It will remain a mystery for now. The car runs well as it is (it’s just my ocd that notices these slight problems). It’ll either remain the same or get worse and if that happens at least I’ll maybe have more of a clue as to what the problem actually is.

leaning towards primary turbo or injector fault.

thanks for the input guys and I’ll keep you posted.

·
Registered
5,588 Posts
In my industry we occasionally get 'slight' problems, they are a pain!!

Never quite enough evidence to formulate a plan.. it's much better when things have the decency to fail properly... (y)

Reactions: FCS and hamedhbb

·
Registered
585 Posts
It will remain a mystery for now. The car runs well as it is (it’s just my ocd that notices these slight problems). It’ll either remain the same or get worse and if that happens at least I’ll maybe have more of a clue as to what the problem actually is.

leaning towards primary turbo or injector fault.

thanks for the input guys and I’ll keep you posted.
Sorry to hear that. Have you tried a turbo or injector cleaner additive?
I guess you have already checked the throttle shutoff motor.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Decent diesel and a turbo cleaning additive for now.

wrt the the throttle shutoff motor do you mean the actuator on the primary turbo?

·
Registered
585 Posts
🤔. Hadn’t even thought to check that bit. How would you check it’s working ok - just strip it off and inspect inside it?!
if it fails you should have a fault code so I would suggest just cleaning it and check if it’s not sticky when cold. You don’t have to remove the Y piece. Just remove the right angle air box in front of it and have a look.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Cleaned the butterfly valve in the throttle body today and fitted a new o ring on the front of the throttle body.

no change I’m afraid.

I have noticed some oil misting on the left side egr hose (orange one) and looks to be a slight leak from either that pipe or the intake pipe to the turbo. It’s very slight so not sure if this could be a contributing factor?

·
Registered
585 Posts
Cleaned the butterfly valve in the throttle body today and fitted a new o ring on the front of the throttle body.

no change I’m afraid.

I have noticed some oil misting on the left side egr hose (orange one) and looks to be a slight leak from either that pipe or the intake pipe to the turbo. It’s very slight so not sure if this could be a contributing factor?
Check the intake pipe to left turbo. It’s not fixed with any clip. Maybe It has popped out.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Checked the intake pipe seemed to be ok - don’t know if the orange pipe is split somewhere. Can’t see any signs of oil anywhere apart from these 2 pipes. The orange pipe looks like a fun job to replace 😜

·
Registered
585 Posts
Checked the intake pipe seemed to be ok - don’t know if the orange pipe is split somewhere. Can’t see any signs of oil anywhere apart from these 2 pipes. The orange pipe looks like a fun job to replace 😜
I don’t think there is any leak there. Mine is way more dirty than that. That is very easy to replace from under the car but I highly doubt you need it. We are running out of ideas. How about a smoke leak test?
How

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Thanks for driving that out Hamed, I really appreciate the time you’ve taken to try and help me out.
But after using a bottle of turbo cleaner and using branded diesel (and everything else Ive done) the problem has disappeared. This leads me to think that it was a problem with the actuator on the primary turbo.
Either that it’s something completely different 😂.

thanks again,

alan.

·
Registered
585 Posts
That should have been quite a soot build up causing those symptoms. I would use a C1 grade oil for the next service just in case.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts