Jaguar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I was thinking of getting myself a dash cam to mount on the XF I've just purchased. It's the new 2015 shape, but I can't find instructions or any videos online showing how best to do this. Can anyone advise? I was thinking of getting the Viofo A118 or A119.

Thanks in advance,

Rak.

·
Registered
997 Posts
I am hoping to do the same, I would think the loom is similar to that of the previous model. I will check it out when the time comes, probably find contacts in the front roof console.

·
Registered
10,063 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Watching this with interest. I'm intending to fit front and rear DDPai M6+ cameras to my new one and want to hardware the power.

DASHCAM REVIEW - DDPai M6+ GPS, WiFi, Magnetic Mount
I had a look at those as well, like the idea but my concern was how far away from the screen the lens would be with the bracket supplied. Found it's baby brother & thought this was a bit more discreet for me, especially for the rear screen.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262683626523?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Doesnt have the GPS, & it won't share the same WiFi NW if you have more than one but then I currently run 3 separate cameras anyway:eek:
Like the M6 I like the idea of having a remote button to capture/lock recordings for those 'moments' you want to save.

Only received it yesterday, & intending to fit it in the car in the next few days but having played with it on the table it seems quite good so far.

·
Registered
10,063 Posts
hmmm, I'm sure another FM posted they found a switched live on that very connector, thought it was a FL too...

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've got myself a Nextbase 402G which I've had for about a year now. I recently got hold of one of their hardwire kits, which despite being a bit more expensive than necessary, did make the process of hardwiring the dashcam child's play. All I had to do was run the power lead from the top centre of the windscreen, across the roof lining, down the driver's A-pillar trim, into the fuse box. On the end of the cable you then need to find a good earth point (there was one in the pedal box) and then replace one of the fuses with the supplied fuse tap. Install the original fuse back into the tap and it's done - really easy, only took half an hour or so and I didn't even need to remove any trim to do it.

As for the camera, I can't fault it, it's really easy to use and I've never had a single issue. The only problem now is that I've got to figure out which fuses in the footwell fuse box are switched live and tap into one of those, instead of the permanent live I'm currently tapped into :facepalm6:

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
hmmm, I'm sure another FM posted they found a switched live on that very connector, thought it was a FL too...
I could only find perm live on that one too. I used the ignition live that plugs into the actual overhead lights.

James

·
Registered
10,063 Posts
Have you a FL?

·
Registered
10,063 Posts
How long was you checking the voltage for after locking the car as it's not instant. iirc mine takes about 10-15 seconds to switch off.

James
James I think Rich was looking for a ign live not a permanent..

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
James I think Rich was looking for a ign live not a permanent..
I know, that's what I was getting at. My camera is on an ignition live, however the ignition live in the overhead doesn't go dead immediately, it takes between 10-15 seconds after locking the doors.
I sat in the car with the multimeter while my son locked the doors from the outside to check.

James

·
Registered
345 Posts
I know, that's what I was getting at. My camera is on an ignition live, however the ignition live in the overhead doesn't go dead immediately, it takes between 10-15 seconds after locking the doors.
I sat in the car with the multimeter while my son locked the doors from the outside to check.

James
Furthermore, most dash cams run for a further 10 - 15 seconds after the power is turned off so you need to check with a multimeter as mentioned or a simple light bulb. It is no good testing with the dash cam.

·
Registered
4,788 Posts
After my car was seriously damaged when parked, I want to fit the rear camera to my My witness front setup.

Can you please give me advice on the best way to route the video cable from the rear window to the rear view mirror where the camera is mounted?

Must remember to order some ferrite cores...
Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
983 Posts
After my car was seriously damaged when parked, I want to fit the rear camera to my My witness front setup.

Can you please give me advice on the best way to route the video cable from the rear window to the rear view mirror where the camera is mounted?

I feel your pain John. It happened to me a few years back and decided to have cameras running both front and rear all the time when it's parked up.

I ran the rear cam cable along the rear roof lining to the C pillar and then tucked it along the top of the rear door seal to the B pillar and then the same to the A pillar. Does that make sense? If not let me know and I'll take some photos over the weekend.

·
Banned
16,506 Posts

I'm sure Mark or Tony will be along soon

I'm sure it's just run sound the edge of the headlining .. mark fitted shreks in about 30mins Max

I've had mine in and out of the last 3 or 4 cars

Have you got the power magic set up?

·
Super Moderator
27,106 Posts
Yep mine is run around the headlining.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18,261 Posts
The problem with going the headlining route is you have to be sure to run the wire BEHIND the airbags!!
I went the low road and ran the wire under the door treadplates.

Sent from my Nexus 10 and a Black XF-S 😎

1 - 20 of 29 Posts