Jaguar Forum banner
161 - 180 of 238 Posts

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #161 ·
Picture stolen from eBay... but this is the one we have. Single cylinder Diesel engine, whacks the shit out of anything that it comes into contact with... Needs to be moved by picking it up with the JCB as it's a heavy sod.

Renting is dead money, at least if you buy something it's always here when you want it and you can sell it if you no longer need it. We don't use this one often but it has done a lot of work in the past and is a very handy thing to have sitting around :)

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
You have a jcb too David? :eek:

·
Firm Rampant Member
17,586 Posts
Picture stolen from eBay... but this is the one we have. Single cylinder Diesel engine, whacks the shit out of anything that it comes into contact with... Needs to be moved by picking it up with the JCB as it's a heavy sod.

PCP is dead money, at least if you buy something it's always here when you want it and you can sell it if you no longer need it. We don't use this one often but it has done a lot of work in the past and is a very handy thing to have sitting around :)

View attachment 187978
Aldi did whacker plates??

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #165 ·
Charger pedestal is finished tonight. Just need to wait until next Tuesday before the charger is installed. Decided against trimming the bolts, reinstating the driveway and tidying up until the charger has been installed and the cable has been run just in case there are any issues.

Just worked it out tonight, it’s a 22kW charger being installed. 22kW at 415v is a 53A draw so it’ll be quite a heavy 5 core cable that’s being run to the charger. We’ve pit cable threading rods through the conduit in the concrete this evening so with a bit of luck the cable should pull through without any issues.

Come on JLR, we just need an IPace to charge now!

David.

·
Super Moderator
30,287 Posts
Ah that’s good. Full 11kW charging then :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #167 ·
Indeed.

Although the IPace won’t charge at the full 22kW that the charger can supply, it seemed daft to install a small charger when all likelihood is the replacement for the IPace will support more then the 11kW that the current IPace does.

At least this way the charger is future proofed :)

Said to Dad tonight that if the IPace doesn’t turn up soon he should look at a pre-registered F-Pace SVR but he didn’t seem impressed at that idea 🙄

David.

Reactions: ChrisSB

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
I don't know if the calclations are correct. Presumably we are talkin 3-phase so the current is split between the wires. Our 11 kW charger draws 16 A so yours should be 32.
Also, won't that structure need earthing?

·
Firm Rampant Member
17,586 Posts
I don't know if the calclations are correct. Presumably we are talkin 3-phase so the current is split between the wires. Our 11 kW charger draws 16 A so yours should be 32.
Also, won't that structure need earthing?
And signing off ?

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #170 ·
Calculations are wrong, my bad. I worked it out at 22kW divided by 415v giving 53A but forgot to factor in the 3 phase conversion.

For 3 phase it’s P = V x I x √3

22,000 / 400 √3 or 22,000 / 400 / 1.732

I = 30A

We’ve just mounted the pedestal. If it needs an earth rod then the installer who mounts the charger to the pedestal can sort that out. To be eligible for the grants we have to have it installed by an approved installer. We just wanted the base and pedestal in a certain place so have done the preparation works for him.

David.

·
Super Moderator
30,287 Posts
Yes the I-PACE only charges are a maximum of 32A per phase.

Reactions: dhallworth

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #172 · (Edited)
Zappi charger was installed today.

It’s in 3 components:

Zappi Charger which is mounted on the pedestal.
Harvi which they describe as a “Energy Harvesting Wireless Sensor”.
Hub which links the Harvi and Zappi to the router allowing them internet access.

Unfortunately they’ve provided a black Zappi but it’s not the end of the world. I think a white one would have looked better on the pedestal.

Automotive parking light Car Wheel Parking meter Tire

I was going to fill in the hole and reinstate the driveway around it this evening but the app wasn’t working properly. I deleted the pairing from the Zappi itself then repaired the hub and the charger which got the app to recognise the charger but the information coming from the Harvi was incorrect and it was intermittently dropping out.

It was showing a 0.3kW draw on the grid but switching the kettle on and off in the house made no difference to the reading. I had a look in the cupboard at the front of the house and it had been installed incorrectly. It was only monitoring the power consumption going into the workshop. The Zappi was also only configured for the Harvi to be monitoring single phase.

I moved the Harvi outside and put it in the meter box mounted on the outside of the house. The instructions stated to put the clamps around the cables with the arrows pointing in the direction of current flow so I pointed the arrows from the meter towards the fuse box and reconfigured the Zappi to tell it the Harvi was monitoring 3 phase.

It then showed that we were feeding the grid with energy. The readings looked correct this time though.

White Light Handwriting Line Font

I reversed the direction of the clamps so the arrows were pointing from the fuse box towards the meter and this time it showed the direction of current properly and when switching things on and off in the house or in the workshop the readings were changing like you‘d expect.

The app on the iPhone is working properly now too so we’re all set up and all good. The installer said that OVO energy aren’t great for EV’s and suggested swapping suppliers. His suggestion was Octopus so I think Dad’s going to do some looking into it.

On a positive note, I saw the email from the dealer earlier. The IPace is due for delivery to the dealer on 24th September, not to be built on 24th September like I believed it was. The build slot that’s been assigned and hasn’t changed for about a month now is 10th September - this Friday 😱

If it changes now I’ll be pissed off as surely to god they should know what stock they’ve got to allow them to plan builds in 3 days time!

Hopefully the next update will confirm it’s built!!

Tomorrow’s job - reinstate the driveway.

David.

·
Super Moderator
30,287 Posts
Good work.

If your dad needs a referral for OctopusEnergy let me know. £50 for each of us if he signs up.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #174 ·
Are Octopus as good as any of the others for an EV?

·
Super Moderator
30,287 Posts
One of the better ones. 5.5p for 5 hours at night and 15. Something for the rest of the day. There are several options to choose from. 5p for 4 hours.

·
Administrator
27,822 Posts
And you can make the most of the off peak tariff for the WM, TD, DW etc. Save 70p a day on those & you can drive the iPace 300 miles a week without increasing your leccy bill.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #177 ·
The official feed in tariffs for solar have finished but we’ve been looking into the possibility of installing our own panels and having them generate for us. Previously we looked at putting a 10kW system in but decided against it as the company quoting for it were a nightmare to deal with.

If we can do it ourselves buying the parts at trade prices it’s probably a much better option.

David.

·
Administrator
27,822 Posts
The official feed in tariffs for solar have finished but we’ve been looking into the possibility of installing our own panels and having them generate for us. Previously we looked at putting a 10kW system in but decided against it as the company quoting for it were a nightmare to deal with.

If we can do it ourselves buying the parts at trade prices it’s probably a much better option.

David.
It’s got to be done by an MCS installer before you can tie it to the grid. You’d also need DNO approval for a 10kWh array which can be tricky… although your 3 Phase may help in that respect.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #179 ·
The plan we considered was buying in the panels and the kit and mounting them in a the field rather then on a roof and then getting someone in to do the official wiring part of it.

It’s still in the planning stage at the moment though.

David.

·
Super Moderator
30,287 Posts
The plan we considered was buying in the panels and the kit and mounting them in a the field rather then on a roof and then getting someone in to do the official wiring part of it.

It’s still in the planning stage at the moment though.

David.
The challenge you might find is that as you already have the hardware the installer is only making a profit from the install so many are less interested.

161 - 180 of 238 Posts