Jaguar Forum banner

41 - 61 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Not so sure it is the granny cable they're charging for...

·
Firm Rampant Member
16,085 Posts
There's absolutely no reason why they can't be used all the time. I know many EV owners that do.
this is where I bow to your superior knowledge ,sir

I intend to use my external socket, for the time being .
I suppose that the ipace system monitors plug temp and acts accordingly?

·
Super Moderator
29,143 Posts

·
Super Moderator
29,143 Posts
this is where I bow to your superior knowledge ,sir

I intend to use my external socket, for the time being .
I suppose that the ipace system monitors plug temp and acts accordingly?
I believe the monitoring is built into the charging cable itself. it's only 10A 2.3kW so no different to running a 2kW heater really.

Reactions: DAVENN

·
Firm Rampant Member
16,085 Posts

·
Firm Rampant Member
16,085 Posts
I believe the monitoring is built into the charging cable itself. it's only 10A 2.3kW so no different to running a 2kW heater really.
understood.
same as the hottub ,when heating, ...no issues TOUCH WOOD (ooh) so far.

·
Super Moderator
29,143 Posts
Also bare in mind that the Type 2 cable that comes with the I-PACE is the 32A 3 Phase cable. As the onboard charger is 11kW 3 Phase (7.2kW single phase) on MY21 cars.

·
Firm Rampant Member
16,085 Posts
Also bare in mind that the Type 2 cable that comes with the I-PACE is the 32A 3 Phase cable. As the onboard charger is 11kW 3 Phase (7.2kW single phase).
so not a granny charger cable

Mine comes with a granny charger cable ( as noted)

·
Firm Rampant Member
16,085 Posts

·
Super Moderator
29,143 Posts
so not a granny charger cable

Mine comes with a granny charger cable ( as noted)
Mine came with both. As, per the photo David posted, some EVSE are non-tethered meaning they don't have a cable, so you have to use your own. A lot of destination chargers are the same.

·
Firm Rampant Member
16,085 Posts
Mine came with both. As, per the photo David posted, some EVSE are non-tethered meaning they don't have a cable, so you have to use your own. A lot of destination chargers are the same.
kind of makes sense to have both, with a full EV..
I'm not convinced that me buying a T2 Mennekes socket cable makes good sense, unless I charge ( subtle) to work or seek out foc charging stations.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Interestingly, on the standard equipment for the IPace, a Public Charging cable is listed.

I wonder what the difference between the home charging and public charging cables are.

David.

·
Firm Rampant Member
16,085 Posts
Interestingly, on the standard equipment for the IPace, a Public Charging cable is listed.

I wonder what the difference between the home charging and public charging cables are.

David.
connector and rating?

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
I'm not sure. The CCS rapid chargers are all tethered chargers, I'm not sure what the lower output ones are.

Seems odd that the public charging cable is included but the home charging cable is £220. 🤔

David.

·
Firm Rampant Member
16,085 Posts
I'm not sure. The CCS rapid chargers are all tethered chargers, I'm not sure what the lower output ones are.

Seems odd that the public charging cable is included but the home charging cable is £220. 🤔

David.
I'm sure I've read that the majority of EV charging is domestic... so JLR are looking to turn buyers over.

·
Super Moderator
29,143 Posts
I'd imagine the home charging cable in the granny charger. The public charging cable in a Type 2 to Type 2 cable as most destination chargers (22kW and below AC chargers) will be untethered.

·
Administrator
29,132 Posts
Utterly disgraceful, charging for a connection cable. It's like charging extra for a fuel tank filler flap and cap on an ICE car.

I await the next total rip off from car manufacturers. The only thing I am sure of, is that there will be one.

Reactions: dhallworth

·
Registered
🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿X260 R-Sport in Aurora Red
11,398 Posts
Tyres? You want tyres sir?

·
Registered
7,611 Posts
Wasn't it the case with BMW in the 1980's that their cars were specced from the factory with no radio/radio cassette and you had to choose and pay for one when ordering the car?

·
Administrator
29,132 Posts
Not that long ago when a heater was an optional extra in a British car. As were sun visors etc. Even pasenger seats on some!
Then along came fully equipped from scratch at no extra cost Datsuns etc. And the rise of company cars saw spec levels increase along with the spec level badges - Ford played that game splendidly.

The european car sales model has long been "everything is an extra sir" - Porsche still do that.

41 - 61 of 87 Posts