Jaguar Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1995 Daimler Double Six LWB
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, allow me to introduce myself.

My name is Paul, and I've been Jaguar enthusiast nearly all of my life but only just taken the plunge into Jaguar ownership.

As a child of the 70s, I grew up with The Professionals, The Sweeney, The Saint and of course... Arthur Daley in Minder.

I also had a Scalextrix when I was young, and my Dad converted two of his old Scalextrix cars from his childhood (both D-Types) to run on the track. Consequently, the D-Type is still my favourite Jag, preferably a long nose one with a fin!

But the D-Type is not the only Jag I'm keen on, I love E-Types (who doesn't?), XJSs (probably since Return of the Saint), Series 1,2 and 3 XJ6s and XJ12s (most likely Arthur's influence, and I didn't know the difference between the Series models until lately), and I do love an XK8 and the XJ220 - which I remember seeing at the motor show when it was released.

When the X300 XJ6s came out in the 90s, I fell in love with them too. I love the classic styling, but also the more smooth and rounded look of them.

I started driving at 17, and got into Land Rovers not long after, buying my first one in '91, a '65 Series IIA SWB, which I still own. I also have a Land Rover 101FC Ambulance, which I've also owned for over 20 years.

Ten years ago I got a cheap Volvo 850, as I needed a workhorse, and I fell in love with them too. I now own two of them, and they are (in my limited experience), the best all-round car.

Five years ago, I got into MX5s (which I've always loved since they were released, probably because I'm a MG, Spitfire & Stag fan too!). I now own three MK1 MX5s.

I have a few other cars too, but needed something to validate and 'cement' my collection, I needed a Jag (or two). But which one? Sadly, I can't afford a D-Type or E-Type. I really wanted a V12. So what was it to be? I love the look of the X300 XJ6s and the X308 XJ8s. I also love the look of the XK8s, but none of these would fulfill my V12 desire. So it had to be an XJS. The trouble is, as I'm sure you're all aware, XJSs have got pretty expensive lately too. I could afford a rusty one (though they've also got a bit pricey), and although I can weld, I can't be bothered with another long project right now.

So I stumbled across a '95 Daimler Double Six, in pretty good condition, with 12 months Mot, I had to have it. It ticks both boxes- great looks with a silky smooth V12. I do love it. My first Jag.

I still fancy an XJS and an XK8. So I'll still keep an eye out. Any one stripping an old XJS or XK8 for parts, keep me in mind before you cut up that rusty shell. I might be interested for welding practice.

I'm not ready for another long project, but I do fancy getting a SWB X300, and building a one-off XJR12C! I've worked in composite engineering before, and I reckon I could build a carbon-fibre two-door coupe 'insert' to replace the four doors and B-pillar. As a nod to the original Coupe's vinyl roof - how cool would an unpainted carbon fibre roof look? (Anyone got an unwanted X300 shell? Or anyone know whether the V12 will fit in a X308 shell?)

Sorry for posting such a long first post, but at least you know what's going on in my head!

Cheers, Paul.

·
Administrator
28,196 Posts
Welcome to the forum Paul, great intro.

·
Administrator
26,341 Posts
Welcome to the forum Paul.

My dad had a Daimler Double Six in 1970 & it seemed like a rocket ship in it's day. It did have a drink problem & could drain both tanks very quickly.

·
Registered
19,092 Posts
Hello Paul. Welcome to the forum.
Clearly a petrol head. Good luck with your quest for an XJS!

·
Super Moderator
11,600 Posts
Welcome to the forum Paul.

My dad had a Daimler Double Six in 1970 & it seemed like a rocket ship in it's day. It did have a drink problem & could drain both tanks very quickly.
I had a 1970 Daimler Sovereign 4.2, went to Spain in it TWICE!

Happy days.

·
19,043 Posts
Welcome Paul,

nice intro. Do you have any pictures?

·
Registered
533 Posts
Welcome Paul great intro.
I had a 3.8 MK2 a 3.8 E-Type a 4.2 E-Type and a V12 XJS also a MK11 Long wheelbase Landrover The XJS did 9MPG The loudest sound the car made was the fuel pump behind my head, it went from a tick to a buuurrr with the slightest push of the throttle.
My favorite was my 3.8 E . But to be fair none of them compare to my XFS

·
Firm Rampant Member
13,711 Posts
Welcome to the forum Paul, great intro.
yes I agree

no photos though...

Paul,

we love photos...in fact no photos...it didn't happen.

Welcome.

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Hello & welcome, a varied stable you seem to have there, must have a large barn to store them in.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts