Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ordered these oil filters from Chinese website Aliexpress, described as Genuine, at £1.42 each, plus shipping, plus VAT. Shipping was more than the items. They look exactly the same as a genuine item. Are they fakes? Having checked them very, very carefully, I'd be happy to use them, they appear better quality than the cheap brands I've seen sold here. Would the Chinese company have them made in Germany, sent to China, then sell them via Aliexpress or is the country of manufacture a lie too? I don't have a JLR one handy to compare against.

High Quality Oil Filter Kit Car Car Accessories LR011279 8w93-6a692-ac For Discovery 4 Range Rover 5.0 V8 Oil Filter
Table Wood Textile Drinkware Font

·
Firm Rampant Member
20,784 Posts
Ordered these oil filters from Chinese website Aliexpress, described as Genuine, at £1.42 each, plus shipping, plus VAT. Shipping was more than the items. They look exactly the same as a genuine item. Are they fakes? Having checked them very, very carefully, I'd be happy to use them, they appear better quality than the cheap brands I've seen sold here. Would the Chinese company have them made in Germany, sent to China, then sell them via Aliexpress or is the country of manufacture a lie too? I don't have a JLR one handy to compare against.

High Quality Oil Filter Kit Car Car Accessories LR011279 8w93-6a692-ac For Discovery 4 Range Rover 5.0 V8 Oil Filter
View attachment 192334
Perhaps the saying that cheap things aren't good..and good things aren't cheap is true..or not ?

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Interesting post as I bought these a couple of weeks ago from China.

Paid by credit card in case it turned out to be a scam. So far, I’ve had emails from them with a dispatch notice and have a tracking number where I can see their progress between here and China.

Am intrigued to see if they’re genuine or not as they’re obsolete from Land Rover. My Dads RR has them as standard so I’ll be comparing them closely when they arrive. If they’re not genuine I’ll claim the cash back from the credit card company.

Nothing to loose through taking a punt :)

David.

·
Registered
4,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think I'm happy to use these filters, fake or not. They're well made. I've seen much, much worse in Halfords, that I wouldn't use.

·
Firm Rampant Member
20,784 Posts
Definitely fake I think. I mean stamped made in Germany but from China. That's not to say they are not of good enough quality to use.
One of "my" controllers was copied and manufactured in China.
They did such a good job that they even copied the dimple flaw that was present in the back plate.

·
Registered
🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿X260 R-Sport in Aurora Red
12,887 Posts
One of "my" controllers was copied and manufactured in China.
They did such a good job that they even copied the dimple flaw that was present in the back plate.
Laser scanned?

·
Firm Rampant Member
20,784 Posts
Laser scanned?
Not sure..... I suppose so...but bloody hell it was a belting copy.
I had a 100mm gas valve presented to me ( I was product manager) by a major none OEM.
They could purchase "my" product from a.n.other supplier , 10% cheaper than I was currently supplying.
It was an absolute carbon copy, including internal pcb design, casting, part Nos , documentation, CE/EN cert etc.
I took the valve off to Italy for testing and a thorough inspection..
The valve would not close on loss of power.
We stripped it down and found a piece of metal , I will assume from the casting process, on the valve seat...

I presented our findings and recommended that they pulled each and every valve ( many were installed, not necessarily commissioned) from the field immediately.

Cost them thousands.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
At least yours turned up from China as an oil filter…

I ordered illuminated tread plates for the Range Rover and got this…

View attachment 192380
Rectangle Wood Font Flooring Triangle

🙄

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Thankfully I used a credit card so I’ll be able to get the money back easily enough.

·
Registered
4,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I returned some exhaust tips I ordered from Aliexpress, you send them to a UK address. I wasn't sure I'd get refunded, though the site does say returns are accepted for full guaranteed refunds. Took quite a while, I think the UK address send the items back to China, then when the seller receives it, you get refunded, which I did, in full.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Good point! Pictures deleted :)

Reactions: ninjag
1 - 20 of 31 Posts