Jaguar Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not expecting too much input here since this after all mainly is an XF forum but anyways - does anyone have any impressions of the ingenium four cylinder F-Type?

I had a good test drive in one today and liked it. Certainly doesn't have the sound and shove of the V6 or the V8 but still sounded quite nice and shifted well, albeit with a bit of lag. It's been a few years since I had an AJ126 V6S F-Type loaner so can't quite compare but i kind of liked the concept of a lighter and simpler engine.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Plenty of views and opinions over on the Yank forum: F-Type ( X152 ) - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum
Never driven one myself, but some like it and some dislike it. Most of the love comes from the Euro members and most of the hate comes from the Yank members.
Sharper turn in and more nimble handling than the "big brothers" (BBs) due to the lighter front end.
Adequate power, quick enough, smooth and not too laggy (being a sequential twin scroll turbo).
Better fuel economy than the BBs.
A lot cheaper than the BBs, especially for the Euro members where the "carbon tax" on the BBs is horrendous.
Looks like an F-Type!
Dislikes:
Not enough power, a bit gutless compared to the BBs (since when has "adequate" or "quick enough" been acceptable in an F-Type???).
Crap exhaust sound, not in the same universe as the BBs.
Still some turbo lag, not the same instant throttle response as the BBs.
Who cares about fuel economy!

·
Registered
18,220 Posts
I've said this in another thread but I'll repeat it here. I assume the P300 engine in the F-Type is the same engine in the E-Pace P300 AWD I drove last year. And I was thoroughly underwhelmed. I wouldn't swap it for the V6 diesel in my XJ let alone the V6 supercharged petrol in the OP's XF.

·
Registered
12,126 Posts
Go for it!! Mated with the F-Type aluminium chassis, should be a peach with the lighter front hand - handling is the key :cool:

Reactions: DAVENN

·
Super Moderator
27,084 Posts
I'm not convinced that the P300 is a good engine. I know the F-Pace is 500kgs heavier (considering it has AWD that isn't too bad) but the it was totally underwhelming to drive. The engine sounded horrible, you have the rev the tits off it to get it going.

Personally, the V6 S/C is a peach of an engine in an F-Type. The P380 I had a couple of years ago was awesome.

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input guys. No buying planned yet, but checking out the options for the future and I was quite curious about the engine since it's the only modern Jag engine I wasn't already familiar with and I'm not sure I'd like to have another AJ126 or AJ133.

I thought about the yank forum too and will definitely have a look there as well.

Agreed, the AJ126 is a peach of an engine in the F-type but I'd also say the question about how much power an F-type should have is a bit of a how long is a string question. If you shift the focus from noise and straight line grunt to agility, modernity and running costs I think the P300 F-Type makes sense. Not sure if that's what would float my boat but I'm trying to see the rationale behind it.

The P300 worked very well in the F-type but I can imagine it's totally underwhelming in a lardy AWD SUV.

Do we know anything about the reliability of the P300? Maybe too early days to tell but it seems like a rather straight forward construction hopefully with fewer weaknesses than the supercharged engines.

·
Firm Rampant Member
12,757 Posts
Go for it!! Mated with the F-Type aluminium chassis, should be a peach with the lighter front hand - handling is the key :cool:
stick a box on and you'll get 364bhp and 468 torques

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
stick a box on and you'll get 364bhp and 468 torques
Sounds like a lot from that engine.

My local mapper seems to go for about 320hp
and 450 torques. Funnily enough a young sales assistant at the dealer suggested it and looked it up for me. :)

·
Firm Rampant Member
12,757 Posts
Sounds like a lot from that engine.

My local mapper seems to go for about 320hp
and 450 torques. Funnily enough a young sales assistant at the dealer suggested it and looked it up for me. :)
it's straight from Tdi tuning.
I've found that the maps tend to be below the figs of the boxes...but Tdi are decent.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts