Super Moderator
Building Tree House Wood Brickwork

• Haha
Reactions: Shrek

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Registered
Not as harsh as that 2.0 I4 from JLR! 馃槀
I have the V6S, passed on the V8 as it felt a bit too heavy, wasn鈥檛 much faster and wasn鈥檛 worth the 20k extra. IMHO of course. Also have an XE 250, plenty of power so I can imagine an F Type with another 50 BHP to be fine. Also using the smaller engine I believe it is set back behind the front wheels, coupled with the weight reduction it should handle really well.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have the V6S, passed on the V8 as it felt a bit too heavy, wasn鈥檛 much faster and wasn鈥檛 worth the 20k extra. IMHO of course. Also have an XE 250, plenty of power so I can imagine an F Type with another 50 BHP to be fine. Also using the smaller engine I believe it is set back behind the front wheels, coupled with the weight reduction it should handle really well.
It goes fine. It sounds crap.

Oh and the V8 is the sweet spot of the range. IMHO of course 馃槈

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, you pay your money and take your choice.
Indeed. 70 kgs between a V8 and a V6 is hardly ground breaking. And the V6 has most of the V8 anyway.

Registered
2014 F-Type S V6 coupe most of the fruit and a few mods.
Nup, the V6 is not set back any further than the V8, it's the exact same block (externally) mounted in the exact same place. The V6 is effectively the V8 with the rear two cylinders blanked off, see here: Block Party: Creating a V-6 By Declaring Two Cylinders Redundant
I suppose JLR could have designed the V6 for better weight distribution by blocking off the front two cylinders instead but that would have been far more complicated and costly.

Reactions: Shrek

Registered
Nup, the V6 is not set back any further than the V8, it's the exact same block (externally) mounted in the exact same place. The V6 is effectively the V8 with the rear two cylinders blanked off, see here: Block Party: Creating a V-6 By Declaring Two Cylinders Redundant
I suppose JLR could have designed the V6 for better weight distribution by blocking off the front two cylinders instead but that would have been far more complicated and costly.
I didn鈥檛 say the V6 is set back further than the V8, I was referring to the 2ltr model. I am aware that the V6 and the V8 is the same block.

Administrator
The difference in handling between the V8 & the V6 around Dunsfold was night & day. Even with a warning from the pro drivers NOT to carry as much speed into the corner as the V6, most of us ran wide through the cones on the first lap. The V8 was very impressive on the straight! :D

Reactions: ChrisSB

Super Moderator
The difference in handling between the V8 & the V6 around Dunsfold was night & day. Even with a warning from the pro drivers NOT to carry as much speed into the corner as the V6, most of us ran wide through the cones on the first lap. The V8 was very impressive on the straight! :D
Was the V8 AWD as well? Or were there two different V6? I can鈥檛 remember. But I do remember the RWD V6 handling very well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Administrator
Think there were two V6s, one was AWD.

Reactions: ChrisSB

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Corners are done differently in an AWD. But 70kgs difference between an AWD V6 and an AWD V8 isn鈥檛 going to amount to much on a lap. RWD is a different matter though.

Registered
I'd presume the V6 AWD would drive around the V8 RWD, but the RWD would be more a "drivers" car? I've not driven a F-Type AWD with anything like aggressive throttle usage so never had the chance to find out if it pulled out of corners much the same way a FWD car does (maybe with a tad of understeer) but a RWD car would oversteer (or enter a spin)?

Registered
I'd presume the V6 AWD would drive around the V8 RWD, but the RWD would be more a "drivers" car? I've not driven a F-Type AWD with anything like aggressive throttle usage so never had the chance to find out if it pulled out of corners much the same way a FWD car does (maybe with a tad of understeer) but a RWD car would oversteer (or enter a spin)?
Never mind all that! What did the cardiologist say? @cutlea01

Registered
V6S RWD coup茅 is clearly the way to go. ;) Then we're starting to talk about a bit more significant weight differences compared to the AWD V8 cars too.

Quite a difference traction wise compared to AWD though. Getting the power down through the stock rear 295 P Zeros in the wet can be shockingly hard compared to the lardy AWD X250 with the same supercharged V6 that I had before the F-Type.

The 2.0 goes ok and IMHO even sounds quite nice - for a four banger - except on startup when it almost sounds like a good old 2.2D. 馃槵 Having said that I don't really think that engine ever should have been fitted in the F-Type.

Reactions: OzXFR and ChrisSB
1 - 17 of 17 Posts