Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys, looking for some help, I have a jag XFS 3.0 - was driving a decided to drop the gear and put my foot down, suddenly no power pulled over and say that manifold/rocker cover had blown (common) - I changed the cracked cover (left) and put everything, the car wouldnt start after many attempts - a friend brought some easystart - sprayed in and car would run while spraying. Checked fuel rail and it was getting fuel. Anyhow, friend kept spraying easy start and it backfired a couple of times. Kept spraying and then a LOUD BANG! Both manifold covers, the intake breather and the intercooler exploded (from the outwards before the intake breather) - now spoke to a mechanic he says the DPF is blocked. Also I am worried if I may have affected timing - Any thoughts guys! (Please don’t scare me, already an expensive bill)

·
Administrator
30,511 Posts
The timing will be fine but it sounds as if you’ve destroyed a fair proportion of the inlet. It must have been a fair old bang when it exploded?

·
Registered
Battery powered superhero
5,391 Posts
How can a mechanic state the DPF is blocked without physically checking it? More than likely, the fuel rail had air in it so couldn't get to pressure, it's not unknown to be hard to start these engines after the manifolds have been changed. Not sure what help you want us to give here, seems you are capable of working on engines - I'd suggest to keep your mate away though! Easy start - small bursts to get the engine to fire, not continuous until something blows up, but guess you found that out.

Reactions: FCS

·
Firm Rampant Member
23,116 Posts
Hi Guys, looking for some help, I have a jag XFS 3.0 - was driving a decided to drop the gear and put my foot down, suddenly no power pulled over and say that manifold/rocker cover had blown (common) - I changed the cracked cover (left) and put everything, the car wouldnt start after many attempts - a friend brought some easystart - sprayed in and car would run while spraying. Checked fuel rail and it was getting fuel. Anyhow, friend kept spraying easy start and it backfired a couple of times. Kept spraying and then a LOUD BANG! Both manifold covers, the intake breather and the intercooler exploded (from the outwards before the intake breather) - now spoke to a mechanic he says the DPF is blocked. Also I am worried if I may have affected timing - Any thoughts guys! (Please don’t scare me, already an expensive bill)
Get yourself another mate...

However, best of luck.

Reactions: FCS

·
Registered
367 Posts
Damn! Nice idea to kill an engine. The best thing that could have happend is, that only the plastic parts are blown. But are they blown due to backfiring (only pressure) or due to ingnited air-easy-start mixture? Worst case might by cracked cylinders or damaged camshafts due to this massiv overpressure.
If the DPF is blocked, you should find some DTCs for that. I would first check the stored DTCs before proceeding with any mechanical repairs.
Good luck!

Dirk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the help guys, so put everything back together today, everything where it needs to be, removed the DPF - car is cranking but not starting at all. Just not firing up. Will get a diagnostic check on it to see if it is throwing anything however any help would be most welcome. Thanks all

·
Registered
🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿X260 R-Sport in Aurora Red
13,871 Posts
Yeah you need codes, you dont mention how many miles you‘ve done, but not uncommon for the HP fuel pump to fail at higher mileage.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah you need codes, you dont mention how many miles you‘ve done, but not uncommon for the HP fuel pump to fail at higher mileage.
ill get the codes in a bit. Its got 109k miles so not epic miles on it either. Could the back pressure have affected the fuel pump, as when the first manifold popped, I drove the car home. I checked the fuel rail and it is getting fuel coming out of it

·
Registered
🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿X260 R-Sport in Aurora Red
13,871 Posts
To do a proper test you’d need a pressure gauge

·
Registered
367 Posts
I had cracked manifolds two times. I found no collateral damages to the fuel pump. I drove about 1200 mi with a slightly cracked manifold.
Codes will help you to sort out your faults and the root cause for your current problem.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Thef uel system is "common rail" this means the fuel pressure rail feeds all the injectors together, so if one injector fails the whole system will lose pressure & the car will not start. Did you inspect all the injector tips when you had the car apart?

This was one of mine....

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
ill get the codes in a bit. Its got 109k miles so not epic miles on it either. Could the back pressure have affected the fuel pump, as when the first manifold popped, I drove the car home. I checked the fuel rail and it is getting fuel coming out of it
My high pressure fuel pump failed at 78,000 miles, so don't rule it out. Phil

• Sad
Reactions: sandmaennle
1 - 16 of 16 Posts