Jaguar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have a number of questions regarding the diesel exhaust filter.

I bought a second hand XFS 3.0 diesel a couple of months ago (16 plate) with about 27,000 on the clock. After around 3,000 miles, the red warning indicating a full exhaust filter has come on and the car entered "limp home mode". I have never seen an amber warning so am surprised it has gone straight to red. Surely that should have happened first? Also, should the filter get blocked after just 30,000 miles? Might this indicate another problem (perhaps a faulty sensor)? The car is still under warranty. Do I have to take it to a Jaguar dealership to protect the warranty or will an independent do? (my nearest dealer is an hour away). Any advice would be much appreciated as I need to get it back on the road asap!

Cheers,

Rich

·
Registered
6,171 Posts
I think you’re missing the point a little.

A DPF can become blocked very quickly, even from new, while doing lots of short journeys, so nothing to do with the car having 30k on the clock.

What sort of journeys have you done in 3000 miles? Town/motorway/A-roads?? You’ve either bought the wrong car for your usage, or you’ve bought someone else’s problem car.

·
Registered
20,258 Posts
It's just the DPF and needs a regen' which you can do yourself by going for a 30-minute blast on the motorway.
Alternatively, as it's still under warranty, take it into the dealer.
Unfortunately, a life of short journeys is bad news for a modern diesel.

Sent from my Nexus 10 and an XJ Portfolio. . . ☺

·
Registered
6,171 Posts
It's just the DPF and needs a regen' which you can do yourself by going for a 30-minute blast on the motorway.

It won’t regenerate while in limp home mode.

·
Firm Rampant Member
16,085 Posts

With it being in limp home mode, would a blast up the motorway sort it?
I'm assuming that manually holding it in gear, therefore keeping the revs up, would help?

·
Firm Rampant Member
16,085 Posts

·
Registered
6,171 Posts
Was wondering the same...
Indeed. And it will never need ‘a blast’ even if the amber light is on. Just a 15-30 minute drive on an open A-road driving normally.

·
Founder member
5,263 Posts
With a red dpf full warning it will need a forced regen by the dealer

·
Registered
20,258 Posts
It will regen in RP mode. Been there.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm not sure I am missing any point. My point was that I thought modern diesels are designed to regenerate themselves during normal operation and that, even if I had been doing lots of short journeys, I should have seen an amber warning before going straight to red. Once the red alarm has occurred, you are unable to instigate a regenerate by taking it for a fast run. Also, I have not being doing short runs. The shortest tends to be 90 minutes/80 miles of mostly motorway and the longer one is 3 hours/150 miles (again predominantly motorway. That is why I was surprised to see it go straight to a red warning and cam on here to ask for helpful advice.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Also, I forgot to mention, I was actually on a motorway at the time the alarm came on which, as it was after dealershis have closed, I continued to drive for a further 80 miles or so on the Motorway. I assumed it goes into limp home mode to protect the car from damage - is this not right?

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Given your sort of motoring it is surprising this has happened. I can only assume the dpf was near full when you bought the car.
Maybe the previous owner did mainly short trips.
You need to get the car to someone who has the right testing gear to check it out and, if necessary, clean out the dpf.

Good luck.

·
Administrator
29,132 Posts
Needs a dealer to investigate. Could be a failed DPF differential pressure sensor.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all your help, especially Popeye and Wilf. I'm guessing it's best to use a Jag dealer rather than an independent until I know why it has occurred.

·
Administrator
27,359 Posts
Also, I forgot to mention, I was actually on a motorway at the time the alarm came on which, as it was after dealershis have closed, I continued to drive for a further 80 miles or so on the Motorway. I assumed it goes into limp home mode to protect the car from damage - is this not right?
With your pattern of useage you shouldn't be getting amber DPF warnings let alone red one. My driving pattern is similar to yours & I've never seen a DPF warning in over 200,000 miles.

The problem is either one of the differential pressure sensors or there's an underlying problem that's preventing the engine running in the emissions sweet spot. A leaking intercooler flange on mine reduced the regeneration cycle from 1000-1200 miles down to a couple of hundred miles or less. That gives some indication of how much more soot is produced by poor combustion.

·
Firm Rampant Member
16,085 Posts
I'm not sure I am missing any point. My point was that I thought modern diesels are designed to regenerate themselves during normal operation and that, even if I had been doing lots of short journeys, I should have seen an amber warning before going straight to red. Once the red alarm has occurred, you are unable to instigate a regenerate by taking it for a fast run. Also, I have not being doing short runs. The shortest tends to be 90 minutes/80 miles of mostly motorway and the longer one is 3 hours/150 miles (again predominantly motorway. That is why I was surprised to see it go straight to a red warning and cam on here to ask for helpful advice.
Ahhh...OK. Dealers it is.
One thing, have you noticed any smoking from the tail pipe?
Mine does that, occasionally, with no warning lights at all.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just thought I would give you an update on how my exhaust filter red warning has been resolved in case it happens to anyone else. Jaguar recovery came out to the car and found that the filter was not blocked at all (only 5%). It has done a regeneration about 100 miles ago but had not told the computer that it was done. The technical reset the computer an applied a software update and said it should not happen again, but if it does, just call them out again. In any event, the filter was clean.

·
Firm Rampant Member
16,085 Posts
Good to hear..but not too.

At least you're sorted.

·
Registered
20,258 Posts
Thanks for the update. Always good to learn the outcome.

·
Registered
4,529 Posts
Interesting Rich, never heard of that one before. Glad it’s sorted.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts