Jaguar Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2014 XF 3.0D V6
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had an intermittent exhaust smell in the cabin for quite a while. Recently it has become worse and is now present most of the time when the car is stationary.
So I’ve done some investigation and have found an exhaust leak from a crossover pipe that runs between the exhaust manifolds.
This pipe runs across the rear of the engine. Removing / Replacing it looks to be a nightmare or even impossible to remove without dropping the engine.
Has anybody carried out this job? Or know how to go about it?

·
Registered
MY 2012 XF S Portfolio Ultimate Black
1,118 Posts
I have had an intermittent exhaust smell in the cabin for quite a while. Recently it has become worse and is now present most of the time when the car is stationary.
So I’ve done some investigation and have found an exhaust leak from a crossover pipe that runs between the exhaust manifolds.
This pipe runs across the rear of the engine. Removing / Replacing it looks to be a nightmare or even impossible to remove without dropping the engine.
Has anybody carried out this job? Or know how to go about it?
I have done this. It was part of removing the transmission. Nothing wrong with cross over pipe. Are you sure it it cross over pipe? Never heard of one failing.
Anyway, it’s all done from under the car. You have to take cat and down pipe first. It gives access to both ends of cross over and the bolts that keeps them attached to the gearbox. Then it slides out. Not very difficult if you can lift the car on jack stands and have long extension bars and universal joints.

·
Registered
2014 XF 3.0D V6
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have done this. It was part of removing the transmission. Nothing wrong with cross over pipe. Are you sure it it cross over pipe? Never heard of one failing.
Anyway, it’s all done from under the car. You have to take cat and down pipe first. It gives access to both ends of cross over and the bolts that keeps them attached to the gearbox. Then it slides out. Not very difficult if you can lift the car on jack stands and have long extension bars and universal joints.
Thanks for your reply. It has been helpful in giving me a bit more confidence knowing the job can be done without removing the engine.

Pretty sure it’s the crossover pipe. There is soot all around the area and I can see a hole in the insulation surrounding the pipe. Then after poking it with a screwdriver, it emitted a plume of dust as the engine was started.

Just for information I got a quote from Grange Jaguar. They said it was a big job. Part cost £321 +VAT with 10 hours labour @ £200 an Hour. Nearly £2400 is outrageous for basically a days work.

Think I’ll get a used part and have a go at it myself. Good to know it’s possible from under the car.

·
Registered
2014 XF 3.0D V6
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The flexible joint used to be a source of exhaust leaks.
E.g. Dreaded Flexi Joint
Not sure exactly what flexible pipes are being referred to. The only ones I can see are after the DPF about half way down the car and mine are OK.
Are there any more lurking away somewhere nearer the engine compartment?

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I am surprised because it is a stainless steel pipe and not positioned somewhere that water will condensate there. On 2.7D engine the flexible pipe that goes to cat and down pipe used to split and there is some videos about this on Utube.

Have you downloaded the Workshop manual? All steps are listed there.
Difficult part is to spend time under the car. If you have proper lift it’s easy. As mentioned Extension bars and universal joints with a bit patience will do it. Once you have removed cat and down pipe, there is enough room to get to all flange bolts with a universal joint.
I am surprised they say 10hours. That’s about the time for a DIYer to do it on jack stands.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
If it helps, I found this (which corresponds with Hamedhbb re. 2.7d):

And from the Workshop manual for the 3.0d it doesn't seem to show a flexi on the CAT side:

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Thanks Graham. There is one immediately after flange. Also there two on cross over pipe.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Thanks Graham. There is one immediately after flange. Also there two on cross over pipe.
Good God, so there's five flexi pipes in total?

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
I came across this 3.0d right side pipe. Is that a small flexi section there?

·
Registered
2014 XF 3.0D V6
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks to all for supplying the diagrams, photos, tips and other useful info. I do have a PDF of the manual but it doesn’t seem to have the same level of detail as the diagrams that have been posted here. (Maybe I have an outdated manual)

I have ordered a used part online and am expecting its delivery around Wednesday. Also hoping to get access to a car lift, which should help enormously.

Provided all goes well I will try to take some photos of the process and do a small write up.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Best of luck!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts