Jaguar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Basically, this is info for anyone with bother on either or both these units.
I have problems on both the parking brake (had a warning for a while, but now does not operate) and the LHS headlamp (Xenon).
Have chased the fault down to a plug on the central junction box (fusebox) on the driverside footwell. There has been a bit of corrossion and the pins on the module have parted company, (bottom 2 on C5). These are for the LHS headlamp and supply to the footbrake switch (needed for the EPB module), so explains both my faults.

Now looking to c/o fusebox. Has anybody done it? Where did you get a spare? Does it need programming?

Might get the soldering iron out (probably about 5 minutes after I get a price from Jaguar), will let you know how it goes.

Hope this saves others a bit of grief.
Stuart

·
Administrator
29,272 Posts
Never seen this specific problem aired before Stuart, you have been unlucky. Has water been getting in there somehow?

Good fault diagnosis btw.

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
+1 from me. If you've got it so far I think I'd try to repair before replacing as I'm sure it'll be expensive for Jag to repair. Probably better with a small independent car electrical shop.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good news, predictably an OEM part was crippling, so out came the soldering iron, attached a couple of wires to the back of the PCB where the pins had corroded off, drilled a hole through the side of the junction box, and spliced onto the wiring harness.
Outcome is that everything now works, no error messages, and as a bonus the windscreen washer delivers at reasonable power as opposed to the dribble I was getting (pin found to be corroded and cleaned up).
Needless to say I am fairly chuffed with myself.
Absolutely no evidence of water ingress, but will monitor periodically for any recurrance.

·
Super Moderator
29,371 Posts
Great news. Unfortunately these issues can happen with any car so I hope this hasn't put you off Jaguar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20,471 Posts
Good news, predictably an OEM part was crippling, so out came the soldering iron, attached a couple of wires to the back of the PCB where the pins had corroded off, drilled a hole through the side of the junction box, and spliced onto the wiring harness.
Outcome is that everything now works, no error messages, and as a bonus the windscreen washer delivers at reasonable power as opposed to the dribble I was getting (pin found to be corroded and cleaned up).
Needless to say I am fairly chuffed with myself.
Absolutely no evidence of water ingress, but will monitor periodically for any recurrance.
Well, give that man a pat on the back! Well done! Great result.

·
Registered
🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿X260 R-Sport in Aurora Red
11,488 Posts
Excellent, well done, you didn't take any pics per chance? It'd be good collectively to see where about this was....

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Pics attached, for info its the fusebox in the drivers (RHS) footwell. Easy enough to remove, lift off sill trim and the rigid moulding just pulls off. Remove 9 or 10 plug connectors (suggest battery disconnected), unbolt supply cable at top, then there are only two bolts holding it on.

Attachments

·
Registered
🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿X260 R-Sport in Aurora Red
11,488 Posts
Wow, thanks Stuart, and no water ingress you can see? Does look very much like it though... well done again. :upyeah:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Stuart
I had a very similar park brake problem on my July 2011 XF 2.2D.
An independent Jag man found a corroded pin on the live feed to the pedal brake switch in the central junction / fuse box in the RHS footwell.
He patched in another feed via an in-line fuse and all is well but he suggested that water may be getting through from the area around the washer reservoir which is under the wheel arch lining at the back of the front wheel.
I just pulled the lining off but couldn't see any leaks from the reservoir or pumps, however, what I did see is that rain water from the "scuttle tray" under the windscreen drains down behind the wheel arch lining and pours over the loom where it enters the passenger compartment (in a grommet). It continued down to the sill which was blocked with black muck.
Should rain water take this route ?
It seems crazy to me but I couldn't find any water in the fuse box area - did you find any water ingress ?

The pic shows what's behind the wheel arch liner - washer reservoir / pumps - rain water ran down over the loom on the right

Cheers Peter

Attachments

·
Registered
118 Posts
Stuart - you sir, are a genius.

For the past few weeks, I've been having random electrical issues - DRLs not coming on properly, and culminating in issues with the Apply Park Brake/Park Brake Fault ( see separate threads)

Having replaced the brake light switch, no change.

Then I found your thread, and voila! IMG_1976.jpg

Thanks so much for this.

Now the challenge is on to find a replacement fuseboard, as I'm not the soldering type.

·
Registered
8,199 Posts
And another thanks from me too.
I have been having random park brake failure warnings over the last few weeks.

I will check the fuse box tomorrow.
I need to pull the arch liner to get a dent fixed anyway.

There is a spray called Contact Cleaner and Lubricant. I think WD40 do a version. Worth putting a small spray into the connector as an extra precaution. Don’t go mad with it...

·
Registered
9,276 Posts
Stuart - you sir, are a genius.

For the past few weeks, I've been having random electrical issues - DRLs not coming on properly, and culminating in issues with the Apply Park Brake/Park Brake Fault ( see separate threads)

Having replaced the brake light switch, no change.

Then I found your thread, and voila! View attachment 168214

Thanks so much for this.

Now the challenge is on to find a replacement fuseboard, as I'm not the soldering type.
Delighted you got sorted guys. Love when the solution suddenly appears .

·
Registered
118 Posts
So... I called Jaguar dealer(s) today to get said fuse box. €591 +VAT - so €728.....And its a 2 week lead time.. That will be a no then 😳😳😳

Going to my local electrical/electronics repair shop in the morning to try STuarts recommendation of scolding some wires and matrix-ing them in.

I’ll keep you all posted.

·
Registered
4,251 Posts
Pat, an autoelectrician might be an option as well.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Okey dokey... so here goes.

Local auto electrician didn't want to touch it, worried about liability if it didn't work :)

So got my nephew and his soldering iron, and said we would give it a go.

Taking the box apart was easy - it prises apart, and removing the fuses ( taking a picture of the fuses in place first!)and 5 screws reveals the board in all its glory:

IMG_1984.jpg

Turning it over you can see the area that will need to be soldered to ( the bottom 10 pins):

IMG_1986.jpg

From examining the top side, I can see that the bottom 2 pins, and number 3 on the right and 4 on the left are corroded through

Soldering complete:

IMG_1990.jpg

Now we have to fit them through the fusebox: - using a Dremel, drill 4 holes though the same size as the wire:

IMG_1988.jpg

And we also have to cut off a little plastic to allow room for the wires, JIC

IMG_1987.jpg

Slide the wires through as you drop the fuse board itself back into place

IMG_1991.jpg

IMG_1992.jpg

Put the 5 screws back in, clip everything back up, and replace the fuses in the correct order.

Now take the block for C5 - what I did was clip the correct 4 wires, and using clip connectors join them all up.

Bolt the fusebox back in place, hook up the power feed and push the connectors back in.

As a preventative measure, I smeared around C5 with a little Vaseline as a repellent.

Then bolt the battery back up for the moment of truth - and it all works!

No warning light, EPB works correctly, happy days!!

·
Registered
8,199 Posts
Excellent result, well done!

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Be careful with the Vaseline, I'm sure you know it's conductive.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts