Jaguar Forum banner

21 - 40 of 72 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,190 Posts
No fan of additives, use the oil spec stated by the manufacturer and that's it. Any purposeful ingredients will be in it.

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
No fan of additives, use the oil spec stated by the manufacturer and that's it. Any purposeful ingredients will be in it.
That is generally how I feel, but despite six month services there's something going on with my lifters (or something) and I'm only at 80k miles. :unsure:

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I’d be interested in your thoughts on Archoil 9100 oil additive Graham.

I’ve been using it in my last 2 oil changes, along with Shell Helix AF-L (C1).
I forgot that they did oil additives, so never looked into it. How do you find it?

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
I forgot that they did oil additives, so never looked into it. How do you find it?
It’s made my engine quieter, and more free revving.

I really like it.

I know some will view it as snake oil, but bear in mind that all oils (and fuels) start off with a base stock, and then have additives added to them.

Oil isn’t just “oil”: it’s a base oil with other things thrown in.

So what I’m doing is throwing in some more additives, which if it were to be marketed as Helix SuperLuboPlus wouldn’t have much of a retail market, given the cost.

·
Registered
4,357 Posts
It would be nice for "oilman", from Opie oils to call in here and have a word. He's a bit like batman of the oil world. Mention his name and he turns up and educates!

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
It would be nice for "oilman", from Opie oils to call in here and have a word. He's a bit like batman of the oil world. Mention his name and he turns up and educates!
That's where I buy all my oil from. I looked for Liqui Moly stuff there but alas none.

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
It’s made my engine quieter, and more free revving.

I really like it.

I know some will view it as snake oil, but bear in mind that all oils (and fuels) start off with a base stock, and then have additives added to them.

Oil isn’t just “oil”: it’s a base oil with other things thrown in.

So what I’m doing is throwing in some more additives, which if it were to be marketed as Helix SuperLuboPlus wouldn’t have much of a retail market, given the cost.
I'll keep that in mind thanks. I've ordered up some Liqui Moly Hydraulic Lifter juice which is the opposite from the Wynns in that it's much more viscous and a fresh batch of the more expensive Millers oils from Opie. If it all arrives tomorrow then tomorrow evening (if my body still works) I'll dump the Liqui stuff in and then top up with Millers.

Just going through a process of elimination.

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
I listened to your videos, and they just sounded like a normal diesel to me.

But that’s probably more a reflection of my hearing quality, and the fact I don’t know one end of an engine from the other.

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I listened to your videos, and they just sounded like a normal diesel to me.

But that’s probably more a reflection of my hearing quality, and the fact I don’t know one end of an engine from the other.
I just took her in to the garage to change the oil and whilst still cold the noise wasn't there, but as the engine warmed up the noise appeared and then got louder. The mechanic was there and he noticed it at well.

I’ve put some Liqui Moly lifter treatment in and fresh oil. When starting the noise was there for a second then disappeared. I'm 100% sure it's lifters.

I drove home, not far, and the noise is back but I need to get out for a decent drive. I'm not optimistic but not overly concerned now. If it doesn't quieten down this time I'll just grin and bear it as I don't want to spend any more time or money on something which hopefully isn't really a problem. At least I can't hear it with the windows up.

If i get a chance I'll film it when cold, the when hot as hopefully it should be more obvious.

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
When was your timing chain/belt last replaced?
The belt was done quite recently, within the time and mileage requirements. I think I've just got a lazy tappet so not too bothered now.

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 · (Edited)
Was just giving up on this when I came across this video which also has the same loud noise:

I note the comments about the oil pump in the YouTube video.

I also came across this: Oil Pump replacement problem.

Could it be poor oil pressure causing this?

EDIT: link removed as videos updated

·
Registered
20,483 Posts
Sounds normal to me albeit a bit clackety (technical term). Injector noise.

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Sounds normal to me albeit a bit clackety (technical term). Injector noise.
Would injector noise not be there from cold though? It only presents itself once the engine is warmed up.

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Here's a video when it's cold and to me this is the sound of a normal diesel engine as I would expect:

Engine when cold link

This is after a 5 mile easy going drive immediately after the above video. That banging noise does not seem normal to me.

Engine when warm link

·
Registered
MY 2012 XF S Portfolio Ultimate Black
1,759 Posts
Was just giving up on this when I came across this video which also has the same loud noise:

I note the comments about the oil pump in the YouTube video.

I also came across this: Oil Pump replacement problem.

Could it be poor oil pressure causing this?

EDIT: link removed as videos updated
Yes. Pressure drops as engine warms up. It’s very easy to check if you get oil pressure gauge. I did change my oil pump during rebuild but I have a similar noise. The only difference is the noise drops when engine is warm unlike your situation.

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Is this LH or RH wheel? Did you also check LH fuel rail?
It's o/s wheel in both videos. I had to pop to the supermarket earlier this evening and pushed the car pretty hard as I was in that kind of mood. When I parked up I sat next to a parked car with her running to let things cool a bit and the engine sounded bloody awful and that noise was amplified even more. Engine sounded clapped out lol

I've never checked but can icarsoft read oil pressure from the oil pressure sensor? I've got the data on what the oil pressure should be at particular rev ranges, so it's the next place I'm going to look. If it's not oil pressure then I'm guessing it's the drivetrain somewhere and to be honest if that's the case then the car will probably go and I'll start looking for a petrol or hybrid.

·
Registered
MY 2012 XF S Portfolio Ultimate Black
1,759 Posts
It's o/s wheel in both videos. I had to pop to the supermarket earlier this evening and pushed the car pretty hard as I was in that kind of mood. When I parked up I sat next to a parked car with her running to let things cool a bit and the engine sounded bloody awful and that noise was amplified even more. Engine sounded clapped out lol

I've never checked but can icarsoft read oil pressure from the oil pressure sensor? I've got the data on what the oil pressure should be at particular rev ranges, so it's the next place I'm going to look. If it's not oil pressure then I'm guessing it's the drivetrain somewhere and to be honest if that's the case then the car will probably go and I'll start looking for a petrol or hybrid.
Unfortunately not. Pressure sensor is actually a pressure switch set at 0.5bar while pressure can go up to 4bar. I have a oil pressure gauge. They are cheap. You have to unscrew the pressure switch and connect the gauge. It’s easy.
I still have some doubt about pressure regulator but that’s more clear on LH. Could you use icarsoft to read fuel pressure? If pressure is higher than spec (it’s in WM) or it’s not stable when you hear the noise, a mechanical valve at that the end of fuel rail will return excess fuel and that makes a noticeable noise. This could be due to fuel flow control valve, fuel temperature or pressure sensor or a blocked injector.
Using a long screw driver on that fuel rail can easily eliminate this from list.

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Unfortunately not. Pressure sensor is actually a pressure switch set at 0.5bar while pressure can go up to 4bar. I have a oil pressure gauge. They are cheap. You have to unscrew the pressure switch and connect the gauge. It’s easy.
I still have some doubt about pressure regulator but that’s more clear on LH. Could you use icarsoft to read fuel pressure? If pressure is higher than spec (it’s in WM) or it’s not stable when you hear the noise, a mechanical valve at that the end of fuel rail will return excess fuel and that makes a noticeable noise. This could be due to fuel flow control valve, fuel temperature or pressure sensor or a blocked injector.
Using a long screw driver on that fuel rail can easily eliminate this from list.
Thanks, that's unfortunate. But I'll see if we have a gauge at work otherwise I'll maybe buy one as they aren't very expensive. If I can eliminate oil pressure then that's a big job off the table, but then it may not leave any inexpensive alternatives. I've not heard any other strange noises, just this one.

I'm not sure how relevant it is that the noise gets much worse when the car has been driven hard, but I can only think that the oil must be very hot and much thinner? I could perhaps drain out a litre of oil and pop in a litre of 5W40 to see if the higher viscosity helps. Or, I could try and engine flush just in case it's sludge causing a lifter or two to stick, but then that's another oil change with no guarantee of success.

21 - 40 of 72 Posts