Jaguar Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2010 XFS 3.0d Portfolio
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have have 1 fault code that keeps coming back after clearing the codes - P2261-73 Turbocharger/supercharger bypass valve - mechanical

Any ideas what could be causing it?

I've been advised to check the following:
Throttle body o-rings for oil leaks which can cause vac pipes to fall off.
Map sensor
Carry out a smoke test for boost leaks

Thanks

·
Registered
106 Posts
To be honest the description of the DTC is fairly generous. Sometime you don't understand what they mean or they don't give away much information. In this instance it seems pretty clear to me.

"Turbocharger/supercharger bypass valve - mechanical "

in English:

"Your boost pressure control value has a mechanical fault - please replace"

I don't know what car you have so can't advise on which one to get but they generally look like the item in the attached photo and are fairly cheap.

Good luck!

Attachments

·
Registered
533 Posts
Be careful driving it until you fix it. If the thing is stuck closed or your MAP sensor is clogged you will get excessive manifold pressure which could lead to damage ie cracks. Map sensor is easy to check, look on the forum, Hamed gives a good write up.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Ignore my first reply. I was using previous experience on a different car that solved my issue.

In the case of that discussion you posted, it may well be that part that is needed. My thoughts are that their fault code specifically talks about P22D2 and their fix was to replace the secondary turbo bypass valve.

But it seems from the first diagram that there is another bypass valve, #1. Or in the second diagram it is #15. #8 in the second diagram is what I was referring to earlier.

Attachments

·
Registered
19,092 Posts
Failure of the secondary turbo bypass valve actuator is a common fault on the V6 diesel. Happened to me. Easy and not-costly fix (one or two FMs have DIY'd it).
This is the offending article . . .

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Would taking the car above 2,800 rpm throw a restricted performance and therefore help double confirm that it is the secondary turbo actuator?

Reactions: OBC John

·
Registered
2010 XFS 3.0d Portfolio
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Be careful driving it until you fix it. If the thing is stuck closed or your MAP sensor is clogged you will get excessive manifold pressure which could lead to damage ie cracks. Map sensor is easy to check, look on the forum, Hamed gives a good write up.
thanks for this, I’ve taken the map sensor off which is pretty good condition.
16AE32F0-35CF-4D3D-A7EE-CDF4C983CFFD.jpeg

·
Registered
2010 XFS 3.0d Portfolio
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ignore my first reply. I was using previous experience on a different car that solved my issue.

In the case of that discussion you posted, it may well be that part that is needed. My thoughts are that their fault code specifically talks about P22D2 and their fix was to replace the secondary turbo bypass valve.

But it seems from the first diagram that there is another bypass valve, #1. Or in the second diagram it is #15. #8 in the second diagram is what I was referring to earlier.
yes I did notice the fault code is a different number.
When I search for the fault code that I’m getting there are no matches.

·
Registered
2010 XFS 3.0d Portfolio
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Failure of the secondary turbo bypass valve actuator is a common fault on the V6 diesel. Happened to me. Easy and not-costly fix (one or two FMs have DIY'd it).
This is the offending article . . .

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk
Thanks, how much was it and do you know the part number. Also what is the process of changing it and is it a straight swap?

·
Registered
2010 XFS 3.0d Portfolio
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Would taking the car above 2,800 rpm throw a restricted performance and therefore help double confirm that it is the secondary turbo actuator?
I’ve never had the restricted performance kick in.

·
Registered
19,092 Posts
Thanks, how much was it and do you know the part number. Also what is the process of changing it and is it a straight swap?
(Sorry, have only just caught up with this.)
Try a PM to Johnw777 (see post #7) as I think it was he who did his own swap.
It was a few years back when mine was done under warranty but if memory serves it was around £250 for the job.

·
Registered
376 Posts
(Sorry, have only just caught up with this.)
Try a PM to Johnw777 (see post #7) as I think it was he who did his own swap.
It was a few years back when mine was done under warranty but if memory serves it was around £250 for the job.
Although that is a picture of my valve, it was fitted by Jamie Harris (Jag Doctor).
There is a post where a member of one of the forums did a write up on how to change the valve!

·
Registered
376 Posts
The valve number is C2D23020 £63 + vat

Found it.....

·
Registered
19,092 Posts
Thanks John!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts