Jaguar Forum banner

41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Normally garages drain out your old oil & if they drain out 5L then they re- fill with 5L then check level & top up acordingly.
There is always some oil left in the oil coolers & block.I have also used Lanes & found them most helpful with my old S-type 2.7 diesel & apart from having to pay extra for the uls engine oil was well pleased with the service.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi I bought my Jaguar XF 3.0 supercharged 2016 one day before Jaguar shutdown for Covid 19.
I checked the oil level it was showing 1/2 when I checked it the next day it was full, the next day 3/4 and it’s been fluctuating every day since I’ve had it. The car was purchased from Inchcape Jaguar Norwich with 12 months warranty, I booked it in for the oil sensor to be looked at, on the first visit I was told that the sensor had been changed. The next day the same problem. Went back again two weeks later and they told me it is working fine and it was checked with no problems. Next day oil reading was incorrect. The car was booked in again, this time I had a courtesy car so they had my car for four days.  I have been told again there are no problems and it is working fine. I have given Inchcape numerous pictures of the oil reading with dates and times showing all the faults over several weeks.
I believe that if all Jaguar owners were to check the oil level once a day for a week they would find the same problem and that would force a recall, Jaguar will not tell you about this problem.
If anyone has had the same problem and knows the cause of the problem and have rectified the problem please let me know.
Thanks Glenn

·
18,754 Posts
Hi I bought my Jaguar XF 3.0 supercharged 2016 one day before Jaguar shutdown for Covid 19.
I checked the oil level it was showing 1/2 when I checked it the next day it was full, the next day 3/4 and it’s been fluctuating every day since I’ve had it. The car was purchased from Inchcape Jaguar Norwich with 12 months warranty, I booked it in for the oil sensor to be looked at, on the first visit I was told that the sensor had been changed. The next day the same problem. Went back again two weeks later and they told me it is working fine and it was checked with no problems. Next day oil reading was incorrect. The car was booked in again, this time I had a courtesy car so they had my car for four days.  I have been told again there are no problems and it is working fine. I have given Inchcape numerous pictures of the oil reading with dates and times showing all the faults over several weeks.
I believe that if all Jaguar owners were to check the oil level once a day for a week they would find the same problem and that would force a recall, Jaguar will not tell you about this problem.
If anyone has had the same problem and knows the cause of the problem and have rectified the problem please let me know.
Thanks Glenn
Welcome Glenn,

sorry to hear that. I've had mine nearly a year now - and I've not noticed anything like that to be honest. That said - I'll have a look tomorrow.

Sorry to ask the obvious - but the engine was warm every time you took an oil level reading? If you did one hot and one cold, you will definitely get a variation.

·
Registered
2010 XFR Ultimate Black
1,189 Posts
From a completely technical point of view, it is crap 😂

I'm having issues with my oil level reading but I don't believe it to be related to my actual oil level. I had a tiny leak from my vacuum pump seal and replaced it, it was so tiny that even when I added UV dye to my oil at over the dosage recommended it couldn't be located via UV light.

It has been suggested to me that early XFs suffer with oil sensors failing, however looking at the part number it has been the same from 2008 until even now in XF, f types, XJ, f pace and the V8 x150 XK.

I have very recently done an oil change, however with the part itself being relatively inexpensive I'm debating changing it and cleaning all connections.

Potentially at the weekend I may get it on a ramp and inspect it, and clean up connections.

Obviously yours has been replaced under warranty, or so you've been told and the issue persists. In order for a recall to be instigated you'd have to have many failures reported with significant potential outcomes.

With the part being so widely applied, there would have to be thousands of failures reported outside of expected failure rate from age.

So no actual help to you I am afraid

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Just one point Jordan, the 2008 model has a dipstick, the electronic rubbish came later. Phil

·
Registered
18,531 Posts
My personal opinion is that the oil level sensor is very reliable. I have been on this forum for over 7 years have never, ever read of a case of engine failure caused by a low oil level (or indeed, low oil pressure but that's another topic).
So my advice would be, let the car do its thing. It will tell you if there's a problem. Because clearly, madness lies in the direction of checking the oil level every day.

·
Registered
2010 XFR Ultimate Black
1,189 Posts
My personal opinion is that the oil level sensor is very reliable. I have been on this forum for over 7 years have never, ever read of a case of engine failure caused by a low oil level (or indeed, low oil pressure but that's another topic).
So my advice would be, let the car do its thing. It will tell you if there's a problem. Because clearly, madness lies in the direction of checking the oil level every day.
But previous in the thread is an extract from the owners manual stating it doesn't read oil level whilst being driven. If that is the case it won't tell you when something is wrong.

An example of engine failure through low oil is also on either this forum or another, cannot remember which now.

This morning after a drive the oil shows on maximum, so in summary my oil indication went from being so low that it wouldn't be displayed, to half full to maximum by adding 0.5l of oil. Those 3 readings are an extreme swing for 0.5l, the dipstick range alone should be double that.

I don't check the oil everyday (apart from now to try and locate a fault with the oil level, be it the level itself or the reading).

I've always run my oil level to be half on the dipstick to allow for variance, but I can't consciously ignore variations as wide as that. Even if the level is fine for operating but is low it may increase wear, whilst it may not be terminal or even create small faults, I'd rather it didn't wear quicker than it would do if the oil level was correct.

The potential inherent faults with the engine I have seem to be more avoidable with oil changes, so level will also be an important factor.

Im seeing if my mechanics new Autel can read live oil information and will compare that to displayed readings to try and decipher if it is a level issue or reading issue.

I may just buy a sensor and change it at the next oil change, for the sake of £40, it would be peace of mind...

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Oil density, hence volume, changes noticeably with temperature. Also how level the car is has quite an effect on the level reading. Add these two variables and it can easily be the difference between half and full reading. That would be 'normal' variation but if yours is worse or varies in controlled conditions it's well worth your extra efforts.

·
Registered
2010 XFR Ultimate Black
1,189 Posts
Yeah ill accept a 0.5l of variance perhaps, even that is a little much, but going from unreadable to brimmed with 0.5l of fluid is not useful at all. Especially when you've just change an item to prevent oil loss

·
Registered
897 Posts
Agreed. I never had that fluctuation. Mine is always on the same spot in dash. They are very easy to take off and clean next time you do an oil change. I did it recently maybe that’s why reading is consistent. It’s a US sensor. Contamination and debris could cause errors in readings.
On the other hand, what if oil pump is worn and oil between pump and filter will drain back quickly or the oneway valve under oil filter doesn’t prevent oil to go back? That is about 0.5lit in volume and makes the readings fluctuate depending on return speed.
If you leave the car for a long time like a day before reading the oil level you should get same reading if this the case. But if within minutes it changes, I guess the sensor is faulty or contaminated. Live reading could help with that. Only one decimal place changes when read live oil level at idle.

·
Registered
2010 XFR Ultimate Black
1,189 Posts
I've ordered a obd2 to be able to check the live data, to be honest I will likely just replace the sensor at the next change. I know I typically work on things to save expenditure unnecessarily, but with it being such a nominal amount and the consequences of it being faulty being catastrophic it can just go.

A decade is a good run for a sensor, but as I am still wanting to know the level ill just measure with that obd2 against displays for reference

·
18,754 Posts
Just a bit from the other side of the fence.

I took a few oil level readings today at various times - all on level ground, but with varying engine temps (as can be seen on right gauge). Scuse dusty dash - it'll be getting done shortly.

When I first got to the car, no engine start over - and this is what I would fully expect to see.

A few miles later. It's been sitting like that, as I was in the barbers this afternoon getting pre-lockdown haircut. All in all about 30 mins sat still.
Again - fully what I would expect to see.

Got back from the barbers - and straight away on shut down, I get this. Tried opening the bonnet, but that didn't work either.

Only a few minutes later however - and I get a reading. Again - fully what I'm expecting to see. If it had been filled to the brim then I would have been more worried. You can have too much oil in an engine, and end up blowing a seal as the temperature rises, so does the pressure. Unlikely, but still a possibility.

·
Administrator
27,874 Posts
I am going to pull you up on that one. 😛

Overfilling with oil doesn't increase pressure, in fact it can do the very opposite - due to the crank rotating in the (too high) oil bath and foaming it.

·
18,754 Posts
I am going to pull you up on that one. 😛

Overfilling with oil doesn't increase pressure, in fact it can do the very opposite - due to the crank rotating in the (too high) oil bath and foaming it.
Thats fine in the crank - but what about the rest of the oil circulation path?

What about the air pressure?

Surely that's affected too?

In truth Wilf - I'm not entirely sure.

I've always been told that underfilling is more desirable than over filling though - and I'm hazarding that is based on experience.

·
Administrator
27,874 Posts
Oil pressure is determined by the oil viscosity, the pump and the relief spring (OK and bearing clearances etc.). So long as the pump intake is getting oil, the level of that oil is immaterial. An extra inch or so in the overall level of the oil makes zero effective difference to what the pump "sees". But that higher level could take it past areas not designed to be sealed against a permanent oil presence and hence cause leaks.
Like I said, the main issue is if the crank webs thrash through the oil and foam it. Foam doesn't pump very well.

·
18,754 Posts
Oil pressure is determined by the oil viscosity, the pump and the relief spring (OK and bearing clearances etc.). So long as the pump intake is getting oil, the level of that oil is immaterial. An extra inch or so in the overall level of the oil makes zero effective difference to what the pump "sees". But that higher level could take it past areas not designed to be sealed against a permanent oil presence and hence cause leaks.
Like I said, the main issue is if the crank webs thrash through the oil and foam it. Foam doesn't pump very well.
No - not at all - and will ruin your oil pump though cavitation in short order.

·
Registered
14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi first of all thanks to all who replied to my post.
Inchcape Jaguar Norwich contacted  me to collect my Jaguar and told me all was working as it should be and the reading on the gauge is staying in the same place every time. I told them if I check the car and it was still reading wrong I would be keeping the courtesy car till it was sorted. As we went to the car the customers service 
assistant told me the levels have been checked all day and has been on 3/4 full every time, which was strange as they have constantly told me they always fill to top! When I took the reading it was only half full, I was told to keep the courtesy car and now the Jag is being looked at once again. Hopefully now they know there is a problem perhaps they will deal with it.
My mechanic predicted it could be wiring loom or ECU unit, hopefully we will find out soon, I will post the results.
The thing to remember is if you buy or lease a car it is your responsibility to check the fluid levels and this is impossible if the gauge is reading incorrectly.
Thanks Glenn

41 - 60 of 69 Posts