Jaguar Forum banner

21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
That explains the need for level ground, and a peculiar sump design will account for difficulty in measuring the oil level, but that still doesn't explain the need for an electronic measure - why not build an electronic interlock on a dipstick to achieve the same result (slope, temperature etc), so you can see the oil?

Or are engines smart enough these days to know that oil is dirty? Or does it no longer matter with oil that lasts 26000 km?

·
Registered
79 Posts
My previous Mercedes C class has an electronic dipstick and they are incredibly INACCURATE..
For example it held 6.5 litres of oil when on the full mark.. There was no warning on the dash saying "Add Oil"..
Yet when I came to change the oil only 5 litres came out!!
I think you will agree that 1.5 litres short is NEVER a good thing.
I then was told about "Service Mode"..
This is a way of going into a sub menu on the dash which makes it display the EXACT amount of oil.. For example it would say "LEVEL : 6.3 litres"
Is there a service mode on the Jaguar??

On the Mercedes it is accessed by turning the key to position 1 then pressing the trip reset 3 times.. Voltage is then displayed. You then turn the key to position 2 and wait 20 seconds whilst it measures the oil level.
This ended up being a god send for many Mercedes owners and proved to be very accurate indeed.

My current car (A Mercedes E class V6 Diesel) has a good old fashioned physical dipstick..
It looks like Mercedes have learnt a lesson !!

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Most new drivers would not know a engine dipstick from a gearbox dipstick; that is why it has all gone electronic, but I am suprised if the level is sensitive to 0.5 degree then why is there not a ground level sensor built in.
This way you could be told car is not level reading is not possible.
Better still move the sensor position to the middle of the sump then the level front to rear does not matter.
The car is designed to drive up & down hills so the oil pick up is usually towards the center of the sump to be sure the oil system id not starved of oil.
Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
I have every confidence that Jaguar knows what it is doing in designing oil measurement systems - and I would have thought that the tolerances would be generous given that oil is extremely important in modern diesel engines.

And I also suspect that whilst they didn't explicitly mention 'check when refueling', it makes sense to do so at that time, since service station forecourts are generally flat (though not always in Scotland, I recall).

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
I have every confidence that Jaguar knows what it is doing in designing oil measurement systems - and I would have thought that the tolerances would be generous given that oil is extremely important in modern diesel engines.

And I also suspect that whilst they didn't explicitly mention 'check when refueling', it makes sense to do so at that time, since service station forecourts are generally flat (though not always in Scotland, I recall).
Hi ivanov just to let you know forecourts are not allowed to be flat!
There has to be a fall to ensure any spillages are directed the the site interceptors via the drainage channels installed on all forecourts.
I had to work heavily with Walsall council on the re decelopment of an old petrol station.
I would not call 0.5 degree's as being tolerant to checking when level.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Australia is a little different: we do mandate drainage, but it appears to be flat enough for Jaguar.

My first paid job was at a petrol station - my arrival on day one was eventful in that petrol overflowed whilst filling a vehicle (back in the days when forecourt attendants did all the work, including windscreens - so petrol bowsers could be set 'on' to fill).

Normally this wouldn't be a problem: but there was a bloke smoking near the perimeter drain (again, back in the says when this was tolerated).

So I arrived to see the drains suddenly bursting into flames, which was exciting enough, but got more exciting when we realised that the fire extinguishers were inside the office - on the other side of the wall of flame...

·
Registered
200 Posts
l Scroll through the trip menu to access the
eDipstick display.
l Press the cruise control CANCEL button twice
within 2 seconds.
l The instrument pack display will revert to the
normal display in the trip computer.
l Scroll through the trip menu to access the
eDipstick display once more.
l The graphic now corresponds to the LIVE value.

·
Registered
248 Posts
My previous Mercedes C class has an electronic dipstick and they are incredibly INACCURATE..
For example it held 6.5 litres of oil when on the full mark.. There was no warning on the dash saying "Add Oil"..
Yet when I came to change the oil only 5 litres came out!!
I think you will agree that 1.5 litres short is NEVER a good thing.
I then was told about "Service Mode"..
This is a way of going into a sub menu on the dash which makes it display the EXACT amount of oil.. For example it would say "LEVEL : 6.3 litres"

On the Mercedes it is accessed by turning the key to position 1 then pressing the trip reset 3 times.. Voltage is then displayed. You then turn the key to position 2 and wait 20 seconds whilst it measures the oil level.
This ended up being a god send for many Mercedes owners and proved to be very accurate indeed.

My current car (A Mercedes E class V6 Diesel) has a good old fashioned physical dipstick..
It looks like Mercedes have learnt a lesson !!
Don't forget there is still oil in the system when you drain it, there will be at least a litre. The oil should be preferably hot when you drain, and you can run the engine while you drain for no more than 5 minutes to get the most out, but be very careful.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Don't forget there is still oil in the system when you drain it, there will be at least a litre. The oil should be preferably hot when you drain, and you can run the engine while you drain for no more than 5 minutes to get the most out, but be very careful.
Brian, you can't be serious!! If one of our mechanics did that he would be sacked on the spot! That's complete and utter nonsense.

Sent from my iPad so the spelling probably sucks.

·
Administrator
27,849 Posts
Think he might have meant "before" you drain...... I hope.

·
Saintly Member
1,644 Posts
Maybe its because he's in OZ the oil will run up the way:rolleyes:.

He must mean run till hot BEFORE draining.

Alfie

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
It didn't read that way to me, and besides, we fill from the drain plug, and drain from the fill plug. It's a royal pain turning the car upside down, though.

·
Administrator
27,849 Posts
But, since it is in Oz, the car is already upside down.

Doesn't the oil pour up and out when you take the filler cap off?

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
The sole reason (pardon the pun) that I bought a black car...

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
OK after reading all the post's what oil (Different Makes) can I use and where do I get it from at a decent price, seems the dealers want a lot of money for 1 Lt :banghead:

·
Registered
16 Posts
An interesting discussion. I bought my 2.2D XF as a pre-registered almost at the end of that registration period. I guess the car had been stopped/started many times being shunted around the dealers yard during that period. We visit friends in the southwest of France twice a year and are due to set off this week. I thought it might be a good idea to put in some fresh clean oil before we go roaring down the french motorways. I took the car to my local independent garage, Lanes, Chester Rd, Stonnall near Aldridge, West Midlands. They drained the oil, fitted a new filter and put in the specified amount of fresh oil. I checked the electronic oil a few days later to find it was showing over-fill. I returned to the garage and they took out about a half litre. The level appeared to be correct. A few days later I checked again and it was still showing overfill. I returned to the garage. They were very concerned and intrigued as to why this should be. They ran a full diagnostic check. That showed the oil in the sump was just under 9 litres. It appears the design of the sump is such that a reservoir of oil remains amounting to almost a third of the required amount. So putting in the specified amount of fresh oil meant an overfill of almost 3 litres. I am extremely grateful to the guys at Lanes, they were very helpful and concerned and as a result put in the effort and time to resolve the problem. I have used this garage for about 5 years and they certainly lived up to the good reputation they enjoy locally.

·
Registered
12,126 Posts
That doesn't sound right at all Bob??

3 litres of old oil to contaminate the new!

I'd accept a small amount, but 3 litres, noooooooooooooo :(

21 - 40 of 69 Posts