Jaguar Forum banner

121 - 140 of 142 Posts

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #121
Test drive today at high speed on private track.
90mph takes the efficiency down to 2.2 miles per kwh.
Roughly giving 186 miles of range.
I would take 170 into account when planning my trip.
85mph would add another 20 miles of range at 2.4 miles per kWh 204 miles roughly.
65mph takes efficiency up to 2.8 miles per kWh. That would be almost 240 miles range.
Road was dry, no wind, 16 Celsius. Wet and wind would definitely move the range down.

Reactions: JakeBlade and PeteA

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Interesting stuff Mattia, good post! :cool:

·
Administrator
25,940 Posts
Test drive today at high speed on private track.
90mph takes the efficiency down to 2.2 miles per kwh.
Roughly giving 186 miles of range.
I would take 170 into account when planning my trip.
85mph would add another 20 miles of range at 2.4 miles per kWh 204 miles roughly.
65mph takes efficiency up to 2.8 miles per kWh. That would be almost 240 miles range.
Road was dry, no wind, 16 Celsius. Wet and wind would definitely move the range down.
That's pretty much identical to the consumption that my business acquaintance is getting out of his iPace. His commute is 160 miles round trip & he found it stressful driving home with the range showing less than the remaining distance for a considerable part of the journey (any incline, acceleration, headwind etc.). He fitted a charger at work to solve that problem but he still won't take the iPace on a long business trip because destination chargers are often out of service or only the slow ones are working.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #124
Long distance and business go well together. I know people running their Tesla for free for business mileage.
Claim 45p per mile up to 10k miles And 25 after. Based on a Tesla S you need 30k miles per year to repay monthly Car hire contract, insurance and fuel. Get a Model 3 and you are down to 20k miles per year.
It worth the time and effort to go electric!

·
Super Moderator
19,907 Posts
I did see the Model Y is getting a discount of $3000 so maybe we won’t see the discount in the UK.

That model appeals to me.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #126
Apparently Tesla can’t manage to learn from its mistakes. Build quality on this Y is very poor as new owners report.
You get a lot of tech (which is
non working 100 , touchscreen not impressive as someone want us to believe). Mostly you buy range, better than competitor. Range on Y is far less than the M3. I am curious to see it.
It will cost around 40K in the Uk.
Also it depends what car you come
From. I Know people moving from medium size cars to Tesla M3 and they find it fantastic. They don’t find wind noise, road noise and stiff ride problematic.
I couldn’t live with any Tesla at the moment. Jaguar manage to blend comfy ride, quiet cabin, no wind noise and driving pleasure together with an excellent range. None of the EV on the market gives you this.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #127
2 weeks of Ipace and 400 miles hit.
It feels like a bespoke suit. In addition to all the luxuries we are used to when owning a Jag here we get (previously) unknown usability and practicality.
Easy to access, easy to seat in without that orribile (to me) SUV feeling. Easy to park, to access and make use of the boot. Easy to get out: your feet never touch the door card nor the sill which remains scratch free :).
Plenty of room for my bottle of water, my coffe, my phone and passenger phone! All in one place :)
It’s quite nice to leave behind you at the light someone trying to challenge you. Recently left behind M5 competition, RS4, Porsche 911, Subaru wrx. They all struggle, skidding losing power from standstill. The ipace weigh+awd never lose traction. If 0-60 is impressive, more impressive is 0-30.
Last but not least, I have charged once the car at home, roughly 4 pounds. Once at fast charger for 10 pounds. Rest of electricity free from public chargers.
14 pounds 400 miles. Pretty damn good.

Reactions: PeteA and Gav

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #128
120 miles of motorway yesterday.
Jag nailed it. It’s with no doubt the best motorway cruiser ever made by Jaguar.

·
Registered
17,818 Posts
120 miles of motorway yesterday.
Jag nailed it. It’s with no doubt the best motorway cruiser ever made by Jaguar.
Never done a long journey in an XJ then.

Reactions: Shrek

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #130
I have driven the Xj from Glasgow to Berlin and back. The Ipace beats it.
On pair at suspension comfort, beats it on wind noise and cabin noise. And of course acceleration. Do not forget wheelbase is the same between the 2.

·
Super Moderator
26,822 Posts
I see update 20B is now out. Does your car have it available?

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #132
20B available yes! Not installed yet, I prefer not to test it...

·
Registered
17,818 Posts
Do not forget wheelbase is the same between the 2.
Not quite.
And I've driven an iPace. And would contest your assertion that road and wind noise is less. It isn't!

But the XJ beats the iPace hands down in one area . . . . . . .

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #134
I don’t think you have had the chance to drive the Ipace at 90/100 mph.
About road and wind noise is Jaguar itself saying it’s the best of the line. And I agree. Like many others including journalists and owners moving from Xj to Ipace or having Ipace as second car.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #135
Another full charge for free...and VIP parking...
feels good :)
42A4AD0A-2EEE-4000-A207-AD5AC0BC05B3.jpeg

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #136
Found out best combination 50kwh charger/ipace are chargers by Evolt.
Pretty damn quick (and free today again :) ).
F7BF7158-B510-47FB-9F8C-E5B134364411.jpeg

Reactions: PeteA

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #137
After charging it at this speed, message displayed: high voltage system fault detected. Too much juice to handle 😬
now message doesn’t show anymore...hopefully a temporary overload? Have no idea...
12650D39-A896-4E39-9C4A-14D1FEDAC1CF.jpeg

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Sounding good Mattia!.. If you are ever up Tomintoul way.. they not only have free chargers in the car park on Main Street.. but you can also experience the only 'public' toilets (in Tomnabat lane) that I've ever been too that are actually heated!! As you walk in the door you get blasted with warm air from an overhead electric heater fan!!

It was the first time I've experienced it.. and it took me a couple of seconds to work out WTF was going on!!.. :LOL:

Mrs. PeteA (who doesn't do public toilets unless pushed) was suitably impressed!!.. :cool:

Car park link: Google Maps

Any update on your thoughts on the car now you've had it a while and got more used to it?

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #139
Is the seat heated?😬
I know the area well but missed this :)
My wife works for Macallan and we are up there quite a lot. I ll let you know when I ll be there again, wee Jag metup would be nice and you could drive the Ipace.
So far, so good. Electric It’s all about your state of mind and commuting pattern. Still not sure about long Journey, I need a little more time for that. I will rent a car if I feel anxious or I ll get my 1975 Volvo estate (which is the car I use for my travels around Europe usually...).
Free charging at the moment is the feeling good side. 10.000 miles at octopus tarif 5p per kWh means 150/160 quid per Year. It’s the less relevant cost of running the Ipace...
Moving from the XF has not been difficult, miss the rear limo legroom though and width of the rear seats. The Ipace accomodates 2 people in comfort. 3 people will seat tight in the back. Not an issue to me. The last 4 Years I had people in the back probably 10 times.
The Ipace it’s definitely Jag breed.

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Nice update Mattia.. sounds like it's good so far, hope it continues that way.. (y)

I would love to have a drive in/of your I-Pace.. and it's a very generous offer thank you Mattia. :cool:

But as I live ~ 650 miles away from Tomintoul .. it might not be that soon... :D

It's on my 'to do' list now though... ;)

121 - 140 of 142 Posts