Jaguar Forum banner

101 - 120 of 142 Posts

·
Registered
6,286 Posts
Could it be a safety thing? I'm thinking perhaps similar to the XF where you can pull and hold the EPB and it will slowly engage to slow you down (presumably if brakes have failed).
Not on the X250. The EPB is hydraulic and doesn’t work if you have a burst brake line.

Mrs S has first hand experience of that ...

On the X260 and more modern models, the EPB is an electric motor on each rear calliper, so this may apply.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
I don’t know How it works on the I-pace. It makes no noise. Only the light on tells you it’s engaged.

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Not on the X250. The EPB is hydraulic and doesn’t work if you have a burst brake line.
The workshop manual says this though Steve:

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
I have just downloaded the IOS beta app MyPace with is the answer to the android Wattcat.
It’s pretty god and seems very precise.
8DA41652-C264-454A-B60E-4BCFD54C975A.jpeg

Average of 2.6 mile per KWh. Not bad considering how I drove it :)
205 miles done of which 12 kWh charged at home. The remaining 66kwh free. 205 miles for 1.50.
1.50 per week not bad :)

Reactions: Statler

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
Sat in the back today, nice place where to seat and enjoy panoramic roof view :).
Quite satisfied by the quality of the door card, same refinement as front. Nice Touch the aluminum speaker grille and side vent for passengers.
Very thoughtful the rear passenger door warning ⚠ light, detects car/bikes coming.
Roomy in the back but less legroom compared to limo space of the Xf.
Useful double usb for rear passengers, double 5v plug and one 12v plug. Lot of space under the rear bench for Laptop and Ipad.

4CBD434C-8535-4C76-B946-8C8555376217.jpeg
24A8100E-673E-40C1-84FC-C06A2B0FB7D4.jpeg
F4AECB39-5EDE-487F-BD91-E326E218D691.jpeg

Reactions: PeteA

·
Registered
6,286 Posts
The workshop manual says this though Steve:

View attachment 181275
That's just it Pete, "they act directly on the same pistons", but if you've had complete hydraulic failure, then there is no fluid to push said pistons the cabled arms act on... no brakes! :oops:

·
Administrator
27,565 Posts
Think you are wrong here Steve, sorry! The EPB mechanically pushes on the pistons, no fluid pressure required. You could drain all the brake fluid away and the EPB would still work, it is classed as an "emergency brake" under construction and use regs so far as I know, so must not be dependant upon the hydraulic system, but must act mechanically.

Reactions: GeoffW

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
I'd completely agree with you Wilf.. though that somehow doesn't fit with what Mrs. Statler had happen to her, as I far as I can recall?... 🤷‍♀️

·
Super Moderator
11,221 Posts
There's a cable goes to each caliper on the rear brakes of the XF to apply the handbrake mechanically.

·
Registered
6,286 Posts
Mrs S experienced total brake failure just before Christmas, you may recall my repair posts?

Having had the brake pedal hit the floor, she tried to apply the EPB to stop the car and it failed to operate. The car fired up a couple of warnings about low brake fluid and when she eventually got it stopped, by slowing down through the gears and keeping her foot planted on the brake pedal, the car refused to restart.

Take my word for it, based on our first hand experience, I can categorically say that the EPB does not operate under a hydraulic failure on a rear wheel.

The EPB was working before this and returned to normal operation once the brake line was replaced and the system was properly bled.

This may not be expected operation, but is our experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
27,565 Posts
Very Interesting.

Glad your Missus got out of that one safely. For some reason I had missed that post. Or clean forgotten about it.

·
Registered
9,871 Posts
Steve, not disbelieving you, I truly trust what you're saying but wonder if your mrs held the EPB switch up for what is it 5 seconds or longer for the emergency brake to apply?

·
Administrator
27,565 Posts
Hmm, seems there are various systems, one of which depends on the hydraulics, the others are indeed mechanical.

·
Registered
6,286 Posts
Steve, not disbelieving you, I truly trust what you're saying but wonder if your mrs held the EPB switch up for what is it 5 seconds or longer for the emergency brake to apply?
She said that had it left the console, the switch and her hand would most likely have left a large dent in the roof Gav, so I imagine she was pullin fairly hard, yes.

Wilf, the cable pulls a lever on the back of the caliper, it's simple thing, no mad rotary motion to wind the piston in or anything like that. It has a spring return attached to it
You can see the sleeved cable in this picture.

Anyhoo, I think we’ve hijacked Mattia’s thread very well, maybe time to get it back on track?

·
Registered
9,871 Posts
She said that had it left the console, the switch and her hand would most likely have left a large dent in the roof Gav, so I imagine she was pullin fairly hard, yes.
ok mate, just a thought, I remember when I tested this in snow in a car park and was surprised how long you need to pull the level for before it activated, having said that 5 seconds will feel like an eternity in an emergency

·
Super Moderator
11,221 Posts
There's a cable goes to each caliper on the rear brakes of the XF to apply the handbrake mechanically.
Like I said, why didn't anybody believe me 😃

Reactions: Statler

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
I'm sure mine has some cylinder type devices next to the caliper which I thought was part of the EPB? I'll need to check next time I'm in there, perhaps the Sportbrake is different or more likely it's my memory.

·
Registered
12,106 Posts
I'm sure mine has some cylinder type devices next to the caliper which I thought was part of the EPB? I'll need to check next time I'm in there, perhaps the Sportbrake is different or more likely it's my memory.

·
Super Moderator
19,908 Posts
It’s an electric actuator motor. That’s how the park brake is applied now.

101 - 120 of 142 Posts