·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Good news chaba!.. I bet you can't wait!!.. :D

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #42 (Edited)
Extra 140 Nm torque, which will provide a much better drive-ability for sure.
He is fitting something else now to car in order to allow the insurance to be informed.

Here are some pics and text that he sent me:

"Dieser Motor hat mega viel Potential. Ich musste mich extrem zurücknehmen aufgrund der Kilometerleistung😆😉.

Gute 140 Nm und 40 PS mehr als Original.

Werde Ihn jetzt auf der Straße testen."

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
An extra140Nm!! Nice. and still a nice flat line.. looks very good!!.. (y)

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I presume that dip is the imperfect switch from primary to secondary turbo?

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
That'd be my guess.. probably looks like that because it's full power right through the rev range.. probably doesn't translate like that when actually driving it normally I'd imagine, full power from very low revs to the limiter isn't how most people would drive...

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
E-Diff/LSD?

·
Registered
19,054 Posts
That'd be my guess.. probably looks like that because it's full power right through the rev range.. probably doesn't translate like that when actually driving it normally I'd imagine, full power from very low revs to the limiter isn't how most people would drive...
Power and rpm is directly proportional. 0 revs = 0 power. Max revs = max power. A theoretical straight line although in practice it usually curves over towards the top. But you can't get max power through the rev range, it's just not how it works.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Aware of that thanks John.. we were talking about the pronounced dip just below 2500RPM...

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
E-Diff/LSD?
as far as I am aware it is not an electronically controlled differential. I ordered 1 litre of the appropriate Castrol Syntax Longlife 75W-90 oil. According to WM it needs 0.85 L after draining.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Sorry chabba, I didn't see the all important 'oil'... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
E-diffs we're only added to XFR and XFRS as far as I am aware. The XFS I have driven all had standard diffs, indeed Jaguar put some tests at the Experience days to drive both cars and see the difference.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
E-diffs we're only added to XFR and XFRS as far as I am aware. The XFS I have driven all had standard diffs, indeed Jaguar put some tests at the Experience days to drive both cars and see the difference.

and was there a significant difference that you know of?

·
Registered
19,054 Posts
Aware of that thanks John.. we were talking about the pronounced dip just below 2500RPM...
Ah, sorry Pete. The "full power right through the rev range" had me perplexed.

Reactions: PeteA

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Collected car this evening and drove back about 30 km so had a good chance to feel the difference - which I certainly did.
The difference between 450 Nm and 600 Nm is very obvious and how the car continues to pull effortlessly (even in 6th gear) is very impressive. I have not tried sport or dynamic mode yet.
He tried out 5 different map constellations (he removed the ECU completely from the car for some reason) and successfully tested up to 650 Nm. The gearbox, exhaust temperatures etc were perfect apparently but he nevertheless decided to turn it down to 600 because of the high mileage. Apparently the ZF6 gearbox can handle up to 800 Nm.
To be honest I am glad he did not release its full potential - otherwise it would no longer be such a relaxed driving experience, I think.
I have to get used to the difference and remember to be lighter on the right foot. Brilliant to have that extra power however for overtaking!

He gave me some "High-tech ceramic wear protection" additive (called CERATEC) to add to the engine oil. I should change oil, but, before refilling with new, pour the 300 mL additive directly into the oil filter hole before then screwing on filter as normal and filling up with engine oil. Apparently this is the optimal way to treat/lubricate the most important engine bearings. This should also provide a small performance boost but main reason is to protect the engine and turbos and make it run quieter. The ceramic microparticles will somehow embed onto the surfaces of bearings and provide better protection and reduce friction.

The entire remapping process was expensive (€ 800) and I guess time will tell if I feel it has been worth it. I have to say it gives me peace-of-mind knowing that everything was functioning properly during the various stress-tests that were performed.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
They sound a very competent company, they know what they're doing and are sensible too. Enjoy your new-found torque!

I'm undecided about engine oil additives. Are they cut out to be what their manufacturers claim or snake oil? Or are they even potentially damaging to the engine?

Reactions: PeteA

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Collected car this evening and drove back about 30 km so had a good chance to feel the difference - which I certainly did.
The difference between 450 Nm and 600 Nm is very obvious and how the car continues to pull effortlessly (even in 6th gear) is very impressive. I have not tried sport or dynamic mode yet.
He tried out 5 different map constellations (he removed the ECU completely from the car for some reason) and successfully tested up to 650 Nm. The gearbox, exhaust temperatures etc were perfect apparently but he nevertheless decided to turn it down to 600 because of the high mileage. Apparently the ZF6 gearbox can handle up to 800 Nm.
To be honest I am glad he did not release its full potential - otherwise it would no longer be such a relaxed driving experience, I think.
I have to get used to the difference and remember to be lighter on the right foot. Brilliant to have that extra power however for overtaking!

He gave me some "High-tech ceramic wear protection" additive (called CERATEC) to add to the engine oil. I should change oil, but, before refilling with new, pour the 300 mL additive directly into the oil filter hole before then screwing on filter as normal and filling up with engine oil. Apparently this is the optimal way to treat/lubricate the most important engine bearings. This should also provide a small performance boost but main reason is to protect the engine and turbos and make it run quieter. The ceramic microparticles will somehow embed onto the surfaces of bearings and provide better protection and reduce friction.

The entire remapping process was expensive (€ 800) and I guess time will tell if I feel it has been worth it. I have to say it gives me peace-of-mind knowing that everything was functioning properly during the various stress-tests that were performed.
Sounds great chaba.. do let us know how you get on with the remap as time goes on please.. (y)

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Took a highly extended detour on way to work this morning in order to get a better overall impression of car now in nice daylight driving conditions.
Once engine warmed up I tested it on Autobahn and can 100% confirm that it is significantly improved in all aspects. When accelerating it now pulls better without having to downshift as much.
I reset the fuel economy a few times to see the average fuel consumption under different driving conditions, always flat road with no wind and slightly damp road surface (but not raining):

Constant 100 km/h: 5.6 L/100km
Constant 130 km/h: 6.4 L/100km
Constant 150 km/h: 7.3 L/100km

So this is indeed better fuel economy to previously.
This, together with the knowledge that I can use that extra torque when needed confirms that remap was worth it :)

I will change the differential oil and engine oil (will also try CERATEC additive) this weekend, if dry.

·
Administrator
26,325 Posts

The regular XF mimics an LSD by applying the brake to the unloaded wheel. It works reasonably well but results in a voracious appetite for rear pads & discs.

41 - 60 of 69 Posts