Jaguar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently finished renewing both inlet manifolds because LHS one had hairline crack, causing RP. I also renewed the MAP sensor, cleaned the EGR tubes, throttle body and diesel injectors. Purring along beautifully now and even using bit less fuel than before (due to injector cleaning I presume).

The car has high mileage (about 160.000 miles) but has always run really well, was Jaguar serviced up to 216k (when I bought it) and I look after it and service regularly.

After reading a bit more about potential benefits of ECU remapping (rather than adding a tuning chip), I decided to look more closely and found a place close to me that can do this - they claim the following gains for my car model:

I find this hard to believe and realize this is likely not attainable, however I would like a bit better lower torque, better gearbox changing and improved fuel efficiency. More HP would be a welcome added benefit, of course!

I have asked the garage for a quote but I would like to ask if anyone here has experience with remapping the lower powered 3.0d.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
I'd be tempted to ask the garage for proof of the claimed increase, i.e. request dyno graphs of their test or customer vehicles. If they won't/can't then treat any claims as suspect. Not saying they produce a decent increase but with no proof would you still go ahead? Bit like asking for a quote then being given only a rough estimate or allowing a tradesman to work with no references.

·
Registered
MY 2012 XF S Portfolio Ultimate Black
1,303 Posts
Also those figures are not far from XF S spec (275bhp and 600nm). Map is probably taken from that and modified slightly. I think someone mentioned some parts are different between XF S 3.0D and XF 3.0D. Probably that’s why they claimed lower torque. Also the same engine is now available with 300bhp /700nm in XJ, Fpace or RR. So long as injectors can deliver enough fuel and fuel pressure is high enough, it should be achievable.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Don't forget that you most likely will need to get the mods OKed by the TÜV (Änderungsgutachten).

·
Firm Rampant Member
13,711 Posts
Don't forget that you most likely will need to get the mods OKed by the TÜV (Änderungsgutachten).
I'm familiar with TUV for boiler approvals etc but would the TUV be involved with aftermarket mods?
Wldnt declaring the mods to your insurer ...and ensuring that the car still passed any road worthiness criteria be enough?

·
Firm Rampant Member
13,711 Posts

·
Super Moderator
20,214 Posts
is that legislated?
e.g cars with X bhp must have discs of Y
My 240bhp 3.0d came with the standard brakes from the factory so I would assume JLR thought they were fine. That said i did swap them to 355 fronts and they are significantly better.

·
Registered
19,092 Posts
Why not "just" plug in a tuning box? I've not seen any convincing argument for mapping over a box and there are advantages with a box. Not least of which is that you can take it off with no detrimental effect.

Reactions: DAVENN

·
Firm Rampant Member
13,711 Posts
Why not "just" plug in a tuning box? I've not seen any convincing argument for mapping over a box and there are advantages with a box. Not least of which is that you can take it off with no detrimental effect.
exactly.
a bluefin may work too.

however.. if the TUV are all over this type of mod, they'd be the same with boxes..I wld have thought.

·
Registered
25 Posts
How even TUV can measure that anyone has done this mod? Put it in a rolling rode/dyno?
Only thing they would test are exhaust gasses, if dpf is in place, no worries. And I would recommend to do the remap on dyno/rolling rode. As they can measure initial power and after remap. Also tweak the remap to the waer level of Your car engine.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all your replies.
I will wait for the quote before calling them and discussing over the phone.

I did have a tuning chip box added a while ago (cant remember name) but removed because the wires melted a bit and have not bothered again. Also because I got RP - which was probably the first time I forced open the hairline crack on manifold that was forming...(now both sides replaced ;)). This indeed gave a significant boost to lower end torque and improved gearbox shifting in my opinion. It did make the car more responsive but not hugely. It plugs into fuel-rail and additionally the MAP sensor and has 3 modes (A, B, C), 3 power settings and 3 other settings.
I had it only on lowest settings - mode A, with lowest settings for other buttons because it did not run well on higher settings.

My understanding is that a proper remapping will take more seriously the various other electronically controlled components and optimize for best performance/efficiency and thus less risky than simply pumping up fuel pressure alone. Would like to test this, if not too expensive.

I already have the 355 disk upgrade and I would ask my local garage guy about whether the TÜV needs to be informed if I do this. But if it is just a remap (no physical additions visible), how would they find out?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How even TUV can measure that anyone has done this mod? Put it in a rolling rode/dyno?
Only thing they would test are exhaust gasses, if dpf is in place, no worries. And I would recommend to do the remap on dyno/rolling rode. As they can measure initial power and after remap. Also tweak the remap to the waer level of Your car engine.
what do you mean by "tweak the remap to the waer level of Your car engine"?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Does anyone know for sure if there are some upgraded hardware parts on the XFS 3.0d compared to the lower powered models?
I would presume that exhaust manifolds would need to be different, however from what I can see on workshop manuals, everything seems to be identical. Why would one limit a "safe" (not overtuned) 275hp capable engine to only 211hp? The new 3.0 d only comes with 300hp.

·
Registered
19,092 Posts
I have a "Tunit" box on my XJ which I have evidence to show is increasing the power to around 319 HP and torque up to about 680 N-m.
I learned some time ago that in "S", the waste-gate will open at around 4000 rpm (like hitting a brick wall) so if I want to get down the road a bit faster, I always now use the paddles and change up around 3 to 3.5k revs. (Have only ever had a Tesla stay with me while doing that in "daft" mode).

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
I've used tuning boxes on previous cars and both of them I had issues with the poor connections between the box and fuel rail sensor, so for that reason I wouldn't personally recommend them (causing occasional stuttering and also engine run on). Also they're not really changing the mapping as such, they're just boosting the fuel pressure due to them not being able to read the correct pressure. I'd rather personally have a proper remap, but I guess a tuning box is another option.

Anyone know what the implications are regarding the DPF, I'm guessing they will fill up somewhat more quickly with this type of thing?

Reactions: DAVENN

·
Firm Rampant Member
13,711 Posts
I've used tuning boxes on previous cars and both of them I had issues with the poor connections between the box and fuel rail sensor, so for that reason I wouldn't personally recommend them (causing occasional stuttering and also engine run on). Also they're not really changing the mapping as such, they're just boosting the fuel pressure due to them not being able to read the correct pressure. I'd rather personally have a proper remap, but I guess a tuning box is another option.

Anyone know what the implications are regarding the DPF, I'm guessing they will fill up somewhat more quickly with this type of thing?

the boxes don't change the map at all...that's tge beauty of them

it could be argued that , in event of in warranty engine issues, that the dealer may look at readings but I'm not at all sure if they could spot that a box had been used

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
This is what the TÜV say:
I WANT TO INCREASE THE PERFORMANCE OF MY ENGINE. WHAT DO I HAVE TO NOTE?
An increase in performance is generally subject to the requirements of VdTÜV Notice 751. In these requirements, several pieces of evidence are required, which can only be provided with high costs. Additional boxes without a certificate are usually cheaper, but can only be entered at a very high cost. It is therefore advisable to trust a tuner who will provide the necessary evidence in the form of a parts certificate. If you have any questions, our TÜV SÜD experts will be happy to help you using the contact form.

"ICH MÖCHTE DIE LEISTUNG MEINES MOTORS STEIGERN. WAS MUSS ICH BEACHTEN?
Eine Leistungssteigerung unterliegt grundsätzlich den Vorgaben des VdTÜV Merkblattes 751. In diesen Vorgaben sind mehrere Nachweise erforderlich, die nur mit hohem Kostenaufwand zu erbringen sind. Zusatzboxen ohne Gutachten sind zwar meistens günstiger, sind aber nur mit sehr hohem Kostenaufwand eintragbar. Daher ist es ratsam, einem Tuner zu vertrauen, welcher die nötigen Nachweise in Form eines Teilegutachtens zur Verfügung stellt. Bei Fragen helfen Ihnen unsere TÜV SÜD-Sachverständigen über das Kontaktformular gern weiter."

·
Registered
19,092 Posts
Mein Gott!
Was the TUV formerly known as the Gestapo?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes, the TÜV can be very strict here, however there are huge differences in the extent of this degree of strictness! Depends where you go and the mood of the inspector.

DPF may indeed fill up more quickly with tuned ECU however if one performs a forced DPF regeneration using e.g. iCarSoft then not a problem. I bought this OBD connector so would definitely do this to prevent also the car having to perform by itself, which means, as far as I understand, injecting in more diesel to raise the exhaust temperature sufficiently for expelling the particulate matter from the DPF unit as soot.

I just did a comparison of a remap for all 3 versions of the 3.0d from this garage website:
(compression, bore stroke and ECU component are identical)

1 - 20 of 69 Posts