Jaguar Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
XF, 2008, 2.7d, Premium Luxury, Metallic Ultimate Black
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All - probably the dumbest question of the year but, out of curiosity, is it possible to swap the 2.7d engine with the 3.0d one (the one JLR developed in 2009 for the 6speed gearbox)?

Was just thinking that with all the mods made to the car, if the engine ever went, is it possible to replace with a 3.0 (and thus retain all the work put into the car) or is the only option to buy a newer model?

·
Registered
6,171 Posts
It's phyically the same size. Whether you can get the software talking corectly is a whole new issue.

Reactions: Amrit

·
Registered
4,207 Posts
A bit pointless really, but anything is possible if you want to.

I don't think the software would be the biggest issue, there's a lot more to change than you'd expect. The engine mounts would be different, not to mention various ancillaries.

Is the rev range the same? If not then you'd likely need another instrument cluster too.

It would be far cheaper to scrap the car and buy a working one with a 3l already in by the time you've sourced an engine/donor car.

Unfortunately most 2.7 engined cars aren't worth a huge amount now. Much like those with the early 3.0 v6 petrol.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

I don't think the software would be the biggest issue, there's a lot more to change than you'd expect. The engine mounts would be different, not to mention various ancillaries.

Is the rev range the same? If not then you'd likely need another instrument cluster too.

It would be far cheaper to scrap the car and buy a working one with a 3l already in by the time you've sourced an engine/donor car.

Unfortunately most 2.7 engined cars aren't worth a huge amount now. Much like those with the early 3.0 v6 petrol.
I thought the earlier 3.0 had the same 6speed gearbox with same rev range etc. and thus didn't think there would be a shitload of work to do... however, not being a mechanic I had a feeling that this may just be a dumbass idea lol

·
Registered
4,207 Posts
It's probably the same ratio box. I believe there will be a crossover point where some were offered with the 6 speed box before the 8 speed was introduced.

I meant that the engine redline may be different and therefore the rev reading on the speedo may be incorrect.

Such as the instrument cluster on my SV8 is different to every other model as it redlines at 6750. The 5.0 supercharged redlines at 7250 and the instrument cluster has a different backing on it if you like.

The gearbox itself may not even be exactly the same as they had different torque ratings as well as ratios too.

·
Registered
6,171 Posts

It’s essentially the same engine. The mounts are the same part number. And the 5.0 SC does not red line at 7250 rpm.

·
Super Moderator
12,086 Posts
Seems a lot of work and a pointless exercise to me, sorry.

Reactions: FCS

·
Registered
MY 2012 XF S Portfolio Ultimate Black
1,621 Posts
Even the crankshafts are the same. Mechanically very straight forward. However you are going to need tuning of ECM. TCM will adopt to the data received from ECM.
unless it’s a fun project it doesn’t worth the hassle. How much more power and torque are you after?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Even the crankshafts are the same. Mechanically very straight forward. However you are going to need tuning of ECM. TCM will adopt to the data received from ECM.
unless it’s a fun project it doesn’t worth the hassle. How much more power and torque are you after?
I was just sitting here thinking whether it’s a doable upgrade at some point in the future - enjoy the benefits of 3.0 without the hassle of buying another XF that would then need modding up and potentially fixing stuff that should’ve been fixed earlier etc.
Plus might be, as you said, a fun project to do.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I was just sitting here thinking whether it’s a doable upgrade at some point in the future - enjoy the benefits of 3.0 without the hassle of buying another XF that would then need modding up and potentially fixing stuff that should’ve been fixed earlier etc.
It’s doable for sure. However, it’s effectively tuned up version of the same engine that in theory should be less reliable even though some known issues are mitigated.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Wasn't there a change from single turbo to bi-turbo also?
There is a change in how turbos interact but 2.7 also have two turbos. There are TDV6 engines with single turbo but they are on PSA cars not Jags.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Hi, I had my 2.7 ECU chipped which raised it to a fraction under the 3.0, in fact a 3.0 and myself took off from the lights and neither could pull ahead of the other. On the 2.7 it can be tuned through the OBD port, no need to remove it from the car. Phil

Reactions: hamedhbb and Amrit

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi, I had my 2.7 ECU chipped which raised it to a fraction under the 3.0, in fact a 3.0 and myself took off from the lights and neither could pull ahead of the other. On the 2.7 it can be tuned through the OBD port, no need to remove it from the car. Phil
Hi Phil - am looking to get Tony Dalton to do the remap at some point in the next few months. The reason for starting this thread was just to see if the engines could be swapped over without much fuss - the 3.0 is more refined than the 2.7, produces better mpg and bhp (according to base stats) and apparently more reliable.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts