Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
XF 2021 P250 R-Dynamic HSE, Bluefire blue. Back up is a Cosworth
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
comments please. Had car less than a month and have scanned it (tonight and 7 days ago-neither cleared). Got this on both occasions:

P2B61(73)
Raw code: 2B6173
ECU: Engine control unit
Status: Pending, Test failed since last DTC clear, Test not completed during this operation cycle.

Seems to be a known issue with 2 litre Ingeniums but haven't seen any evidence/comments in a car as 'new' as mine (reg June 2021, 13000 miles). Found some recent links on google latest from Jaguar North America, info, advice and a previous forum discussion.

I don't have the 'excessive noise' (yet?) but I notice an occasional whine from the front when driving (something else? getting paranoid?) and the climate control seemed to want to air fry me (even though it was set at 17C) when I put car in 'Park' tonight after a long drive and inserted the ELM.

It's a pending code so what to do? Should I clear the code and see if it reappears? I'm considering contacting Jaguar Assist to see what they say as I don't fancy waiting for a warning light before doing something. Also wondering if the much vaunted "stringent 165-point inspection process" includes an obd2 scan.

Any thoughts/suggestions appreciated

Paul

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Hi Paul, in your position I would give it to the garage (main dealer) to sort, it is under the 3 year warranty, let them sort it. Phil

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I emailed them 1st thing yesterday (no response) so called today. As they're 120 miles away they said I should contact a local Jag dealer to get it sorted under warranty. I mentioned that the engine also sounds like it's about to rattle itself apart. And whether they were aware that I'm within my rights to reject the car within 30 days of purchase - they were (you might've guessed I'm pee'd off with them - it's not the 1st issue). Wasn't expecting this sh*tty hassle so early on. Shame, it's a lovely car.

As a contrast - my brother has just bought a 2 yr old 'approved used' BMW 330M tourer (spec is amazing). He's gone up today to collect it. Dealer spent 45 minutes on test drive explaining how everything worked. He was told he'll spend at least 2 hours today with them whilst it's all set up to his requirements and shown various things. All I got was - "it's all online nowadays".😡

I need to de-stress 🙏 before I make a decision.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When I examined my scan in more detail I noticed 'distance since last code clear' closely matches the mileage of car when I first saw it. Suspicious, moi? This is a big, well known main dealer.
BTW - the 165 point inspection includes obd2 scan (see attached)

Attachments

·
Registered
Battery powered superhero
5,391 Posts
Ask for the proof the tests were completed and the documented results, I'll bet they won't provide them. Any dealer, main or otherwise, can sing and shout and boast all they want, and say they do all these hundreds of tests prior to sale, but without documented proof these are totally meaningless. It does appear suspicious that DTCs were found, prior to sale, and cleared. That in itself isn't an issue: standard practice when fault-finding, would be to record displayed DTCs then clear them, run the car and rescan to see which DTCs have returned and investigate them further. But of course the suspicion here is that DTCs were found, cleared and no further action taken. Does sound as though you've bought a bit of a duffer from a rubbish dealer.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ask for the proof the tests were completed and the documented results, I'll bet they won't provide them. Any dealer, main or otherwise, can sing and shout and boast all they want, and say they do all these hundreds of tests prior to sale, but without documented proof these are totally meaningless.
You're right. I used to do some work for the UK Accreditation Service - one of our sayings was "if there's no evidence, then it never happened".

However, they did send me the report - no DTCs but there was a vague "telematics" issue flagged but they couldn't find the manifestation or fault. The sales manager said it was fortunate I'm able to perform my own scans (no sh*t - was always going to be a regular thing, more so now). Now waiting for the local jag service dept to call - I'll discuss it all with them.

·
Registered
Battery powered superhero
5,391 Posts
As you have a full Jaguar manufacturer's warranty, I wouldn't stress too much as this stage. Hopefully more of an annoyance and consumer of your time going to and from the dealer than anything else.

Reactions: Popeye

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Went to local Jaguar main dealer. Issue resolved - as expected, it just required an update to the PCM as the cooling system shroud wasn't opening when it should.

While I was there their lead service guy spent an hour with me answering lots of questions and going through some handover issues (which I never got from the car supplier - Stratstones Nottingham). They even washed the car for me. Feel a lot better now.

·
Registered
10,972 Posts
Good news Paul, you'll be able to relax and enjoy your new car now.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
... but never let any dealer wash your car.
Yes - they did ask me if I wanted it washed and I said 'No' but they did it anyway :rolleyes: I've looked it over and it looks ok - no obvious swirls but ... I'll let it go this time.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Gave the car another scan today - guess what popped up - same 'pending' code (it wasn't there when scanned 10 days after fix) :(. Contacted dealer who did the fix 5 weeks ago: JLR manual says "If code but no excessive blowing of fans, esp after turning off engine: return car to owner" with the comment 'don't worry about it unless the fans go mad'. OK - so it's an intermittent, random, 'pending' code. Anyway, I've cleared the code and will just keep an eye - and an ear - on it. Also wait and see if this occurs elsewhere on these later models.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts