Jaguar Forum banner

Dreaded " Rstricted Performance" P006a MAP Mass or Volume Air Flow correlaton.

32K views 41 replies 15 participants last post by  benn.jh1994 
#1 ·

Good evening, only had my 3.0 XFS (2010) for just over a week and the RP mode has already kicked in twice, turning the engine off and locking/unlocking the car clears it and off she goes like nothing ever happened. I've managed to capture the code with my code reader and the code is P0006a Map Mass or Air flow correlation.
The car is from a local dealer with 2 months warranty, his garage also read the code with their reader as it came up on the way to see them A Mass Airflow or Map sensor? cant remember which now the mechanic said is on its way to be fitted next week along with a small oil leak at the top of the engine.
I'm just wondering if anyone has experience with this code? I'm hoping it is just this sensor thing and nothing more serious as i love the car.
Its done 113000 miles and cambelts were done at 110000, Jag history up until 95000. I see the secondry turbo actuator valve can also be suspect at this mileage but RP would normally then happen when you put your foot down. I think RP happened to me when i was just cruising along?
Just looking for any advice here as its knocked my confidence in the car and want the fault done properly.
Great forum by the way with great knowledge here, Besides this hopefully minor fault i'm in love with the car.
Thanks for any advice given.

See less See more
#4 ·
These are the likely causes in order:

Cracked cam cover

Turbo actuator

Air leak (probably intercooler)

Sensor (very unlikely)

#26 ·
Thanks Stig. I've tried cleaning the sensors. Couldn't get a groubd signal from two of the wires and I don't wish to rip into the covers to do so. Looked into smoke testing but I don't have the kit or experience for that. Do you know any good garages in Northern France I could take it to? Main dealer is about 30 miles away :-(

#5 ·
It's a relatively easy job to remove the two MAF sensors and give them a clean or replace (see eBay). Could be a starting point and may cure the issue.

Sent from my Nexus 10 and a Black XF-S 😎

#6 ·
Thankyou for for replies, I also have a feeling it could be something more serious than just a sensor after seeing the oil leak at the top of the engine, as TheStig says cracked cam cover springs to mind. The sensor is being fitted next week so we will go from there. He's not mentioned a smoke test, said the oil will be cleaned off and we should see where its coming from then.
Whatever it is i'll make sure it gets done under the warranty, let you know how i get on. I took some photos of the oil leak at the top of the engine, of course the oil leak could be a seperate issue to the RP but i doubt it too.
Any feedback or opinions on the leak after seeing the photos would be great.
Just need to post one more time before i can upload pictures. :D

#8 ·
Hi Kevin. I had exactly the same and it was the cam cover.

#12 ·
The cost for one fitted by a main dealer is about £1200.

The other side cracked on mine 2 weeks after the first one was replaced. It might be advisable to pay for the other side while the engine is stripped down.

#15 ·
Well i've been assured by the dealer that whatever it is it will be fixed at no cost to me. Its in monday, told him i'll be leaving the car with him until its fixed.
Will keep all informed once i know more.
Good idea TheStig, if it does turn out to be one of the covers i'll ask how much it will cost me to replace the other as well.
How much could i expect to pay being as he'll be doing the one side under warranty? Just the cost of the cover i suppose?
thanks.

#16 ·
I would expect no more than the cost of the cover plus 30 minutes labour.

Interestingly, my first one failed at 112,000 miles & then the other side at 114,000. That's almost exactly the same mileage as your car.

#17 ·
If it is the cam cover or throttle body (in pics could see some misting on it) beware of temporary fixes. I have seem some fixes on fomoco plastic inlet manifolds by using some adhesive fillers.

I would imagine the pressure on the cam cover is surprisingly high on this engine and any such fix would fail over a short time.

#22 ·
Me neither Gav, the mechanic said after cleaning the oil off and taking it for a drive you could see a crack in the throttle body where the oil is leaking from, this is causing the P0006a code (map mass or air flow correlation).
I take it the throttle body is plastic?
I'll be giving it a good run when i get it back to make sure all is cured.

#23 ·
Hi drewdrew, i suppose he may well fit a salvage part but as long as its all good i'll be happy.
I just hope the cam covers don't go in future after the warranty, i've read the cam covers splitting is a common thing with these engines.
thanks for the advice.

#24 ·
update, well the car has been fixed. Trottle body and is it map or maf sensor thats connected directly to it? cannot remember now which sensor he said. The car is running great and the engine now clean, glad to have it back. :D
He kept the old throttle body to show me, it was starting to split at the side. The whole assembly is all plastic.
I was surprised at the amount of carbon and soot inside the old throttle body but then again the car has done 114000 miles.
Not sure if the throttle body was a new part or secondhand but it looks like new and no more RP light which i'm very happy about.

#28 ·
update, well the car has been fixed. Trottle body and is it map or maf sensor thats connected directly to it? cannot remember now which sensor he said. The car is running great and the engine now clean, glad to have it back. :D
He kept the old throttle body to show me, it was starting to split at the side. The whole assembly is all plastic.
I was surprised at the amount of carbon and soot inside the old throttle body but then again the car has done 114000 miles.
Not sure if the throttle body was a new part or secondhand but it looks like new and no more RP light which i'm very happy about.
Going forward I would be extra pedantic about ensuring the correct spec and good quality oil is used from now on. I also use Archoil AR6400-D Max very 5,000 miles and I only use BP Ultimate Diesel but the oil would definitely be the crucial thing.

Might be worth buying an icarsoft LR2.0 so that you can see what condition your DPF is in? It will also allow you to initial an Active Regen plus it reads all Jaguar codes. Very handy tool.

#31 ·
My Jaguar XFS 3.0 V6 diesel from 2009 does that. I recently encountered the P006A code on OBD reader after RESTRICTED PERFORMANCE light up. I do have the hissing sound when accelerating at low speeds. The RP mode goes in when going over approx. 2500 rpm. I read it could be turbo actuator. Not sure what it is yet, just learned today about the P006A error. Will check under the engine cover for oil leaks in the morning. But yes, the hissing sound is there, you notice the sound as its new 😅

#29 ·

Good evening, only had my 3.0 XFS (2010) for just over a week and the RP mode has already kicked in twice, turning the engine off and locking/unlocking the car clears it and off she goes like nothing ever happened. I've managed to capture the code with my code reader and the code is P0006a Map Mass or Air flow correlation.
The car is from a local dealer with 2 months warranty, his garage also read the code with their reader as it came up on the way to see them A Mass Airflow or Map sensor? cant remember which now the mechanic said is on its way to be fitted next week along with a small oil leak at the top of the engine.
I'm just wondering if anyone has experience with this code? I'm hoping it is just this sensor thing and nothing more serious as i love the car.
Its done 113000 miles and cambelts were done at 110000, Jag history up until 95000. I see the secondry turbo actuator valve can also be suspect at this mileage but RP would normally then happen when you put your foot down. I think RP happened to me when i was just cruising along?
Just looking for any advice here as its knocked my confidence in the car and want the fault done properly.
Great forum by the way with great knowledge here, Besides this hopefully minor fault i'm in love with the car.
Thanks for any advice given.
Hello, Just following your thread as my XJ 3.0d is restricted too. Cleaned the sensors and found breather pipe linked to the air filter box. Blew down the pipe and found a leak next to a connector on the back left hand side of the engine.

I do not think any air should be leaking? Any comment gratefully accepted.

Thanks

#33 ·
The hissing sound is a dead giveaway there's an air leak, either a manifold or the intercooler has split, or a hose has failed, split or come adrift. The turbo actuator doesn't hiss if stuck. Or ever, actually!

#34 ·
Thank you for your reply. This is what I found this morning opening the bonnet.
First, I notice the coolant splash all over the engine bay. I suspect the coolant cap, it does not seal properly when twisting, not sure if these caps should have a gasket inside, mine doesn't. Also the hose clip to the coolant reservoir does not seem to clamp properly, hose seem very loose. l think I will order a new coolant cap and secure the hose properly with a new clamp. I hope this will fix the coolant issue.
Second, there is a braided plastic hose to the rear of engine, one for each engine side. The left one is broken and was sticking outside while the right one seems in place secured with a white collar. I can see smoke coming out from where the hose would normally sit on the left side while the engine was running. The hose is so brittle that it snapped again in the middle when I tried handling it. There is some kind of waste in front and around the hole where this hose would normally sit. Not sure if these issues create the P006A error, visually I couldn't see anything else while using my inexperience brain. I took some pictures to get a better understanding. I do apologize in advance for not speaking my mind properly, the images should tell more I hope.
White Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle Car

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Automotive exterior Gas

Outerwear Textile Sleeve Collar Denim