Jaguar Forum banner
81 - 100 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
Take a look at the Autel AP200, does everything that the icarsoft does + gives 7 digit fault codes & only £50. (needs to be paired with your phone).
That might be a better option. The icarsoft is a bit of a pain to have to plug in to the computer to review it. Always thought it was a bit odd that it doesn't have a built in battery.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
I was never comfortable when it showed 2000g AFTER the DPF had been removed and cleaned. Not sure where you go with it from there! But it clearly wasn't doing the job I wanted it for.

Makes sense to go with something else, the AP200 seems to be around £60-£70 on ebay, I haven't had a thorough look yet but I'll probably something like that back for the iCarsoft.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
No news on the car yet, which went in yesterday for the bonnet repair after the pedestrian airbag activation, and the RP/DPF issue, other than a phone call from the garage at 5:20 last night to ask of they could keep it another day as they'd only just got started on it.

I kind of expected it. When I dropped it off yesterday morning, they spoke of having a bad day the day before because the roller shutter to the workshop bay was jammed shut all day. I interpreted that as meaning "we're running about a day behind schedule" And sure enough...

First full day I've had without my Jag. 😢

·
Registered
48 Posts
I've found the Icarsoft a bit clumsy to work with (shame you can't have a 'favourite car' to save going through all the menus), but it has been quite useful, certainly easier to use than SDD on a laptop.

However, the soot reading is annoying. I've contacted them about it, but don't expect they'll ever do an update.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
Well after a week I've got the car back - with virtually no change.

The bonnet has been repaired after the Pedestrian Safety System activation, but now sticks up at the windscreen end about half an inch. No apparent reason why, so I'm wondering if it was warped slightly when the system activated. It's not ideal, but I can live with that for the moment.

As for the DPF/Restricted Performance issue, the car has passed every check and test the garage threw at it - no fault found. No problem with the 2nd turbo, sticking actuator or anything like that and in fact they said it's one of the smoothest running engines they have ever seen compared to others they've had in (with the same engine).

However, they tried doing several forced regens using short motorway runs and no matter what, they could not get the soot level reading to drop below 20mg - but we don't know why. The diagnostic they did showed around 25 failed regens, so as suspected it hasn't been regenerating, or at least not properly. The fact that it won't drop below 20g would cause it to log a failed regen, as the car logs it as successful when it drops to around 7g apparently.

At the moment it's suspected that the DPF itself is faulty, mostly because they can't find anything else. MAFs have been swapped out, pressure readings OK, no oil leaks, no air leaks, nothing.

The only real positive is that I was only charged £100, and he said he'll do a free DPF clean if I decide to buy a second hand one from ebay or whatever. Might be worth a shot as I can get either used or aftermarket ones for under £200, but it's a shot in the dark really. I'm not really sure if there's anything else I can do at this point.

If anybody else has any ideas or suggestions it would be appreciated.

·
Registered
4,331 Posts
I'm not sure if already mentioned, but what about the pressure sensor?

Also, what exhaust temp readings is icarsoft showing? Thinking about the pre and post DPF temp sensors.

Another thought is that maybe it's just clogged up with ash or has some other kind of blockage?

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
I'm not sure if already mentioned, but what about the pressure sensor?

Also, what exhaust temp readings is icarsoft showing? Thinking about the pre and post DPF temp sensors.

Another thought is that maybe it's just clogged up with ash or has some other kind of blockage?
Yes, all that has been checked, in fact they were checked last time it was in for DPF clean as well. Temperatures, pressure readings, you name it.

When the DPF is cleaned it's removed from the car and flushed through, the point being to remove the ash as well, so that should not be a problem. This is the service used, and everybody locally rates these very highly:

Blocked DPF Cleaning Service, the UKs fastest & most effective - UK DPF

It's now been removed and cleaned twice, with only 1500 miles or so between cleans. I think we've established that it is clogging up quickly because it isn't regenerating properly, and only dropping to 20 grams which is creating the failed regen readings. The question is why?

A blockage or some sort of internal damage is probably more likely, we don't know what the previous owners put through it. I'm just reluctant to spend more money on something it doesn't necessarily need, but we're running out of options.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 · (Edited)
For DPF regens I would avoid icarsoft which has issues here and go with the AP200 instead.
Which is the model to go for? There are three, AP200C, AP200H, AP200M.

Edit: The AP200H model doesn't appear to support DPF reset.
I note that these also seems to have a subscription that needs to be renewed each year; how much is that?

The other one on ebay is just listed as AP200, doesn't say whether it's the C or M model. Colour is grey. The H model is red in colour.

·
Registered
48 Posts
You could try blocking the EGR's off, the blanks are £5 from Ebay and about the same for some instant gasket. The job takes about half an hour. I think my EGR was stuck open even though it wasn't logging a fault. It could be affecting a regen.
My soot level has gone up 4.4grams in the last 630 miles. Previously, it would go up 4grams on most journeys to work.

·
Registered
4,331 Posts
Autel subscription is only for additional manufacturers, the first one is for life I believe.

Is the correct spec oil being used? I believe that can block a DPF fast as I think Hamedhbb discovered when using 'break-in' oil.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 ·
I don't think there's a good way to check them without removing them which is a big job.

It may not be the issue, but it would be something to cross off the list.
I've booked it in to be done. Best they can do is next Wednesday, and I go on holiday next Friday but will just have to cope with it if that isn't the problem.
I don't think there's a good way to check them without removing them which is a big job.

It may not be the issue, but it would be something to cross off the list.
Exactly, it makes sense to get it checked. We'll have to get to the bottom of it one way or another.

I've got it booked on for next Wednesday. Only problem now is we go on holiday next Friday, so if it isn't that I'll just have to put up with it until we can track down the problem.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·
Autel subscription is only for additional manufacturers, the first one is for life I believe.

Is the correct spec oil being used? I believe that can block a DPF fast as I think Hamedhbb discovered when using 'break-in' oil.
Yes, oil spec is the first thing I ever check when I change my car, and first thing I do is change the oil. I also did another oil change yesterday in case it was contaminated. Using Shell Helix Pro AF-L (C1).

Notably I got around 6 litres out and it was showing full before I started. I've put 6 litres back in and now it reads around 50-60% and is asking me to add another 1/2 litre. That said, I've often wondered how accurate the electronic dash readout is.

·
Registered
4,331 Posts
Ah Ok, it was just in case a garage was doing the oil changes.

Sounds like a new DPF is the way forward then. Or switch to a glorious V6/V8 petrol and never think about DPF`s ever again!

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 ·
Ah Ok, it was just in case a garage was doing the oil changes.

Sounds like a new DPF is the way forward then. Or switch to a glorious V6/V8 petrol and never think about DPF`s ever again!
Had I known I was going to have this much hassle....I'm still not totally convinced it's the DPF to be honest, especially as it's only done 57k. The diag readings still indicate a turbo issue:

P22D2 and P22CF, "Turbo inlet valve stuck open", and that fact that the RP error only kicks in when I hit 3000 revs or so, usually after a few seconds, not straight away, so I wouldn't mind getting a second opinion from somewhere. I should get the Autel kit tomorrow so I'll retest with that.

This is my first and last diesel, that's for sure.

·
Registered
🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿X260 R-Sport in Aurora Red
13,379 Posts
That sounds suspiciously like the turbo actuator, plenty of posts on here and a relatively cheap (possible free if you can whip it out and lubricate it) fix

·
Registered
Battery powered superhero
5,042 Posts
As I did, got both, no more diesels for me!

Reactions: Coolcity

·
Registered
4,331 Posts
Had I known I was going to have this much hassle....I'm still not totally convinced it's the DPF to be honest, especially as it's only done 57k. The diag readings still indicate a turbo issue:

P22D2 and P22CF, "Turbo inlet valve stuck open", and that fact that the RP error only kicks in when I hit 3000 revs or so, usually after a few seconds, not straight away, so I wouldn't mind getting a second opinion from somewhere. I should get the Autel kit tomorrow so I'll retest with that.

This is my first and last diesel, that's for sure.
As said it does sound like the turbo actuator, the secondary turbo that is.

Or switch to a glorious V6/V8 petrol and never think about turbos ever again! :D

81 - 100 of 127 Posts