Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, long time lurker first time poster so sorry if this has been covered before! A search brought up a very old thread which didn’t go anywhere so thought I’d pop my posting cherry :)

I’ve got a 2009 XF 3.0d 240 which I absolutely adore, however since buying it last year it’s been in what feels like a near constant state of DPF regeneration, probably thanks to the previous owner. I bought the diesel because I do 60 mile trips on fast national speed limit roads twice a week. In recent weeks, it’s been putting itself in RP mode whenever it’s booted above 3k RPM, which was down to a sticking turbo actuator. I’ve managed to find someone who can refurb the actuator so was going to have it removed and sent away this week. However, 2 days ago the red DPF warning came up on the dash and I decided to have it removed (controversial I know). And the gentleman who did it said it was the most clogged he’s ever seen. Since having it removed and remapped, it has not gone into RP when it would have before (hard acceleration above 3k).

My question for the more technically knowledgeable folks on here is; is it possible the clogged DPF was causing the actuator problem? I’m by no means a mechanic but do know that turbos run off exhaust gases and my caked DPF was obviously restricting flow.

Sorry for the diatribe but I’d appreciate any knowledge!

Thanks!

·
Registered
Battery powered superhero
5,037 Posts
is it possible the clogged DPF was causing the actuator problem?
In a word, no. The actuator is a known issue where it mechanically sticks and usually won't fully open, thus the primary turbo continues to supply boosted air to the intake and the secondary turbo cannot. The engine ECU sees this, doesn't like it and throws the RP mode. More likely the sticking actuator contributed to the clogged DPF.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In a word, no. The actuator is a known issue where it mechanically sticks and usually won't fully open, thus the primary turbo continues to supply boosted air to the intake and the secondary turbo cannot. The engine ECU sees this, doesn't like it and throws the RP mode. More likely the sticking actuator contributed to the clogged DPF.
That makes sense to me, sounds like coincidence and I’m waiting for the lovely red message to appear again! Once it does I’ll get the actuator sent away for refurbishment and hopefully have a fully working car again!

·
Registered
5,037 Posts
A new actuator isn't all that expensive. £70 or so I thought?

Edit: John beat me to it!

·
Registered
5,037 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts