Jaguar Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I've had an intermittent crackle from the driver's door tweeter for about a year now. It is mostly evident when opening and closing the door or when going over bumps. Recently it got to the point that the speaker was no longer outputting any sound, however disconnecting and reconnecting the amp brought it back to life temporarily.

I took the door card off and looked behind the tweeter as some other threads mention it shorting out on the bodywork. Mine looked fine, but I did some poking about and found that moving the loom where it comes through from the inside of the door would trigger the crackle. Couldn't really see in there properly, so followed the cables with my hand and found that it was routed under a very sharp vertical metal beam which presumably the window mechanism mounts into. Over time it has worn away the insulation and was grounding out the speaker cable. The loom is held in place with one of those fir tree cable ties, so I just moved it to an alternative hole a few cm above where it was originally mounted, so it could no longer touch the end of that beam.

Haven't had a single crackle for over a week now so I'm pleased this is fixed and hopefully it will help someone else.

Interestingly, I didn't see any Meridian branding on any of the speakers or inside the amp, so maybe their contribution is purely software based.

Registered
I've had an intermittent crackle from the driver's door tweeter for about a year now. It is mostly evident when opening and closing the door or when going over bumps. Recently it got to the point that the speaker was no longer outputting any sound, however disconnecting and reconnecting the amp brought it back to life temporarily.

I took the door card off and looked behind the tweeter as some other threads mention it shorting out on the bodywork. Mine looked fine, but I did some poking about and found that moving the loom where it comes through from the inside of the door would trigger the crackle. Couldn't really see in there properly, so followed the cables with my hand and found that it was routed under a very sharp vertical metal beam which presumably the window mechanism mounts into. Over time it has worn away the insulation and was grounding out the speaker cable. The loom is held in place with one of those fir tree cable ties, so I just moved it to an alternative hole a few cm above where it was originally mounted, so it could no longer touch the end of that beam.

Haven't had a single crackle for over a week now so I'm pleased this is fixed and hopefully it will help someone else.

Interestingly, I didn't see any Meridian branding on any of the speakers or inside the amp, so maybe their contribution is purely software based.
Excellent well found, thanks for posting

Registered
Cracking info mrgristle! (y)

Registered
I have the say problem but was told it could be a optical cable . Hopefully Its an easy fix like mrgristle

Registered
Thanks for the info mrgristle
Was also told that I require a new battery is required and that this could also be adding to the problem so I will be replacing this and then start the removal of the door panels to upgrade the wood trims so will be looking for damaged for damaged cables

Registered
Interesting, we had an intermittent speaker crackle as well, really irritating! Then we needed a new central locking solenoid (passenger side) and since this was replaced there has been no crackle! Might just be coincidental but it has gone completely.

Registered
Interesting, we had an intermittent speaker crackle as well, really irritating! Then we needed a new central locking solenoid (passenger side) and since this was replaced there has been no crackle! Might just be coincidental but it has gone completely.
Welcome to the forum, Steve.
And that's an interesting post. Suggesting perhaps localised RF interference generated by the failing solenoid.

Registered
And that's an interesting post. Suggesting perhaps localised RF interference generated by the failing solenoid.
Or. more likely the cable was chaffing like the op and they鈥檝e disturbed/relocated the wire so no longer chaffing

Registered
Or if the same situation as mrgristle, when the solenoid was fitted the position of the speaker wire was changed.

Registered
is there an echo echo echo in here ? :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: OBC John

Registered
1 - 13 of 13 Posts