Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First oil filter delivered was a WIX, and from prior experience in other applications, they have been good. This one looks a bit cheap, the filter media is some kind of thick paper. Build quality is middeling. Made in Jordan. I didn't feel a lot of confidence with this filter so I ordered a MANN.
The MANN filter showed up today. Made in China and looks like it. Very questionable build quality and quality control.
I'm not sure what kind of filter media is used but it is surrounded by a plastic wire mesh. The filter media is fitted poorly to the end caps, the caps themselves are quite flimsy. Disappointed. The other MANN filters for the cabin and air intake are German made, and look like it.

I'm not taking any chances on my engine with shite filters. I suppose I can buy an OEM filter. Experiences? Suggestions?
20210527_145050.jpg

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
I guess the only way to get a genuine item, will be from your dealer. However you will pay dear for the experience.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
I have bought a range of oil filters, mainly from Rock Auto in the US and a couple off Fleabay, and all were perfectly good.
Mann, Mahle, Wix, ACDelco etc etc, see here: 2015 JAGUAR XF 3.0L V6 Supercharged Oil Filter | RockAuto
I ignore the cheapies on that page and go for the mid-range brand name ones and whichever one is going at the best price at the time, and I usually get two at a time.
The same filter is used across the range of Jags from XF to XJ to XK to F-Type so you get the same listings no matter which modern Jag you search under (dunno about the 4 cylinder variants though).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
These filters are from RockAuto. I grab a filter at the dealer tomorrow so I can get this oil change done. I might try an aftermarket filter another time. These are going back.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
These filters are from RockAuto. I grab a filter at the dealer tomorrow so I can get this oil change done. I might try an aftermarket filter another time. These are going back.
I suspect the OEM filter is supplied by one of the companies I listed above and is most likely made in China like most of them. I suggest you ask the dealer "who makes it?" and "where is it made?", and I bet you get answers as follows:
Who - "no idea" (and there will be nothing on the box to help identify the who).
Where - "it'll be written on the box" (and odds on it says China).

·
Registered
253 Posts
Just because something is made in China does not mean that it is of low quality. It is the specification that it is made to. As in every country there are those companies that churn out counterfeit goods and put them in boxes with established manufacturers name on them.

Certainly, the filters in the images do not look good quality.

As for Jaguar branded items, they will source them from wherever they can get them the cheapest but they will be made to a specification and the items, hopefully, regularly checked to ensure compliance.......

As for Chinas abilities engineering wise, well they have a Rover on Mars, only the second country to do so.

·
Super Moderator
12,243 Posts
If you have any sort of warranty on the car it needs to have a OEM filter on it. If a disaster happens aftermarket oil filter is a no no.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
I've used Mahle for all my oil changes as it comes with the service pack from Opie Oils. It looks good to me and is very strong as you have to press down hard to click it in place.

·
Premium Member
400 Posts

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
If you have any sort of warranty on the car it needs to have a OEM filter on it. If a disaster happens aftermarket oil filter is a no no.
Only if it specifically says so.

Otherwise it should be to OE spec, not necessarily an actual OE part.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Interesting, I'll maybe try one from the dealer next time to see if there's a difference with the 3.0d version. (y)

·
Super Moderator
12,243 Posts
Only if it specifically says so.

Otherwise it should be to OE spec, not necessarily an actual OE part.
Not worth the gamble for the difference in cost.

·
Registered
11,442 Posts
I’ve used non-Jaguar specific parts and never had any problems.

I only use MANN filters now for oil, air and pollen.

·
Administrator
29,471 Posts
I use MANN filters on Buttercup!

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
Not worth the gamble for the difference in cost.
That's always the problem. They pretty much have everyone who uses them, over a barrel at every possible opportunity.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I picked up an oil filter from the dealer today. It was slightly less than double the price of the MANN. Unfortunately, I was in such a rush to get this service off my list I forgot to take a picture of the new filter. It looks very much like the MANN filter, except constructed with greater care. The pleats were equally spaced and straight, which was identical to the old filter I removed from the car, also a dealer Jag oil filter. The dealer filters were Made in China, just like MANN. Perhaps I got a bad MANN filter, or perhaps the Jag branded product has a higher quality standard even if they are made by MANN. I only have the two nice Jag filters to compare with two aftermarket filters that were disappointing. The service is off my list which is the goal here. Also changed out the air filters, the pollen filter, and cleaned the MAF sensors. Looking forward to tomorrow's drive.

·
Super Moderator
12,243 Posts
Many moons ago there was a huge Crosland Filters factory in Nottingham, I went on a tour of it. Besides Crosland filters they were making major car manufacturers branded filters too, obviously car manufacturers don't make there own filters. The factory is no longer there, an Italian company bought it out and Eurocarparts bought the Crosland name.

·
Registered
11,442 Posts
I’ve had a MANN and Crosland air filter side by side, and the Crosland is clearly made on a budget now, and Crosland in name rather than quality.

The MANN is just £1 or so more from ECP/CP4L.

The Crosland had been fitted by my Indy, and was ripped when I removed it to check for water egress.

This is the main reason that I now source my own service parts, and hand it all over for them to use.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
I've just bought a "genuine" oil and air filter from Jaguar and it's a FoMoCo stamped Mann filter.

It actually felt thinner than the Mahle one I've just removed, although used so temperature etc may have something to do with that? Doesn't bother me though, maybe it's meant to be for filtration reasons or something.

Never heard of the air filter before

·
Registered
340 Posts
I bought a Mann filter recently and it too is made in Czech Republic and looks the same as your pic of the Jaguar part, but without FoMoCo, Peugeot or Citroën logos. Other filters I have for our Z4 and Corsa are Mann filters made in Germany.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts