Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I have been looking at used cars (mainly on Facebook marketplace) and noticed some which seem priced very keenly. When I scroll down to seller it always (to me anyway) was a seller with an unusual or foreign sounding name. I mentioned this in passing to my sister who was looking a car after hers was written off. A few days later she messaged me saying her old car was for sale on Facebook marketplace by a person with unusual name. It was advertised as 1 owner and full dealer service history......both not accurate and also my sister still had all paperwork/books for car. She contacted seller to 'enquire' about car. She asked if it had been written off as she had read that somewhere and he said 'That is just not true'.
Anyway, the car appeared the next day on another Facebook ad with a different seller name but same pics.................

·
Firm Rampant Member
22,354 Posts
"foreign sounding name "?

must resist...

Nope...

Monsieur Hulot has been at it again, methinks

Arsebook is full of this kind of cack .

My personal favourites ( atm) those who promise you 37 yrs of bad luck if you don't say "amen" or share some complete bum dribble.

Reactions: Guest

·
Registered
762 Posts
Ever heard of Caveat Emptor? - Let the buyer beware. The reason you are looking on facebook to make a purchase is because you are trying to save money and get an absolute bargain, remember there is no such thing as a free meal - you get what you pay for. You have very little protection with a private sale in law. If you want warrantied mileage and history then buy from a reputable dealer - of course you will pay more and even then you still get dodgy sales outfits - but - you have protection in law under the consumer act, Pay at least £100 by credit card and you also have section 75 protection too - so the credit card company are liable if the vehicle doesn't turn out to be how it was described.

If you buy in shady circumstances then you know your are taking a chance - If its a banger your after then Faceache may be ok. Buy cheap buy twice

·
Registered
Battery powered superhero
5,037 Posts
The write-off category is on the front of the V5 nowadays, but of course, if you buy without seeing the V5........ or doing a car history check.......

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Ever heard of Caveat Emptor? - Let the buyer beware. The reason you are looking on facebook to make a purchase is because you are trying to save money and get an absolute bargain, remember there is no such thing as a free meal - you get what you pay for. You have very little protection with a private sale in law. If you want warrantied mileage and history then buy from a reputable dealer - of course you will pay more and even then you still get dodgy sales outfits - but - you have protection in law under the consumer act, Pay at least £100 by credit card and you also have section 75 protection too - so the credit card company are liable if the vehicle doesn't turn out to be how it was described.

If you buy in shady circumstances then you know your are taking a chance - If its a banger your after then Faceache may be ok. Buy cheap buy twice
A bit strong, Gripper.
Surely you're not suggesting all sales outside dealerships are dodgy ?
Many people successfully buy and sell privately ...but , obviously, if you can afford it then going through a dealer is usually safer...But not always :)

Reactions: thistle4celtic1

·
Registered
10,762 Posts
Just bought young Dan an A4 Avant from a private seller and at 10 years old it had a full service history, MOT and a list of things that had been replaced over the previous 4 years.
Bought it from a young lad, at his family home. Ran an HPi check on it before handing over the cash and it came back clean.

So it can be done.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've bought 2 or 3 things off Ebay without trouble but always met the seller in person.
One time I was after a new small notebook. Called the bloke advertising a new one at a fair price but turned out he was in Romania so I declined.
He pestered me until about 1am saying * this is the last one. I'm in the factory. If you want it this is your last chance. Just send me the money by Wester Union '.
Joker!. I went to bed.

·
Registered
5,037 Posts
I've used Facebook Marketplace loads and had plenty of bargains, but just be very cautious and go meet the seller at their place, don't part with money before you've seen the item and don't leave a deposit etc. Pay in full and take the item away. Never agree to any postal deal via FBMP, there's zero protection and no mediation.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
I've used Facebook Marketplace loads and had plenty of bargains, but just be very cautious and go meet the seller at their place, don't part with money before you've seen the item and don't leave a deposit etc. Pay in full and take the item away. Never agree to any postal deal via FBMP, there's zero protection and no mediation.
That's exactly what I did.

Reactions: Coolcity

·
Registered
350 Posts
It can, but Facebook is the new Ebay. Wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.
There are some decent sellers on ebay - me, for example (seriously), I've had a business account on there for 16 years but it's rife with scammers. These days it's mostly buyers though, because it's too easy to manipulate the system. We do very little on ebay nowadays.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Just listening on Radio 4 to an investigation into fake online car sales,
People losing £1000s paying fake car sales sites.

·
Registered
5,037 Posts
Very sophisticated scams some of them too, involving fake websites but using very convincing company names, registered at Company House, and physical addresses that were or still are garages. So all the usual sort of checks you'd do pan out without raising suspicions. Comes down to don't transfer huge sums of money without having seen the car in person. Now, what did I do when I bought my F-Pace....? That involved multiple bank transfers for a total of around £32,000 before I'd seen the car in the flesh, to a dealer I'd never been to. My bank did confirm the account I was transferring to was registered to the business name though, else it won't allow me to make the transfer. And it was a Jaguar main dealer.

Reactions: Popeye

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
I am looking for an older XF for a family member and, having had a few details sent to me, thought I'd see what you could do to protect yourself when buying privately.
I was quite surprised when What Car's advice was, if you do online checks and there is any finance involved, WALK AWAY.
There must be some safe ways to still do a deal, surely ?

·
Registered
5,037 Posts
You MUST do a finance check on a proposed car purchase, using for instance HPI, which is a chargeable action. Any finance registered to the car, rather than the person, stays with the car on sale, so if you bought such a financed car you also bought the debt. Stupid situation. And of course the seller then defaults on their payments and the finance company simply look for the current registered owner's address via DVLA, and send a tow truck to legally take the car away for sale via auction.

• Sad
Reactions: Popeye
1 - 19 of 19 Posts