Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I got my XK8 I've been iterated that the automatic dimming rear view mirror has not dimmed. The reason being the electrochromatic mechanism inside has given up and you can see the liquid detaching from the glass (see top of picture one). These mirrors are not easy to come by for this year of car. Around 2000 the mirrors were replaced with similar looking versions but critically they have white plugs rather than yellow. They are a different size and have a different number of wires in them. I've been watching eBay and the onle ones that come up are suffering the same issues whereas white plug variants are more plentiful (note, I believe the XK8 and XJ range have the same mirrors).

After a bit of thinking I was faced with two options:
1. Get a good mirror with a white plug, take a deep breath, cut off both plugs and hope to be able to write it back together and everything works
2. Replace the glass.

I oped for option 2 as Jim Forrest (full credit to him) was kind enough to donate a mirror from his old XJ that he had taken apart. All I had to do was work out how to replace the glass in my mirror with his - assuming it is compatible.
I met Jim last week and upon closer inspection the glass really does look the same, just with a white plug rather than yellow.

Today I had the time between other jobs to give the project a go, the good news is, there is a happy ending, here are my steps to replace the glass in a yellow plug mirror with that from a white plug mirror:

1. here is my original mirror in the car, you can tell it's all yellowish and there is a horizontal liquid line about 3/4 of a centimeter running along the top.

2. Pull off the overhear console cover, it's held in with metal clips so just give it a yank

3. Disconnect the plug at the top to remove it out of the way, it's the white one on the right of the picture below.

4. You're now left with this, unscrew the two bols holding the cover on in the middle to expose the yellow plug:

5. Remove the plastic cap over the mirror base where it affixes to the windscreen, mine just dropped off with some light jiggling.

6. The mirror is just held on with a metal pressure clip, I found you could slide the mirror assembly down quite easily

7. Disconnect the yellow plug in the overhead console and just pull it through behind the roof lining so that you can take the mirror away, at this point I got it onto my workbench to look at:

9. I looked at how Jim had tried to open his mirror with a screwdriver and how the plastic has been deformed so I decided to use my Dremil with a cutting disk to make two out of sight slots to help me leave it open - it's just push fit but it seems like a glue is used also. There is a join all around the mirror:

If anyone is interested, this is how the two plugs compare:

10. Here is my Dremil drill with extension to help keep it neat:

12. I didn't take a picture but I cut two old 5p coin slices in the top of the mirror body along the join, one each side of where the fixing arm comes out. I then used a flat bicycle spannel to leaver it working around the body.

13. I got a little too fast too soon and ended up cracking the existing glass, the liquid is very corrosive and I was wearing gloves luckily:

14. The glass has all the electrics attached to it behind, when you have the case open, disconnect the little white plug with a gentle pull:

15. Here are both mirror bodies side by side:

16. Put the new glass in, connect-up the white plug, snap the base back together, and maybe add a little glue to hold it together. I used UHU glue around the join and then taped the mirror up and used a glamp to hold it together:

17. Put the mirror back in the car by doing the reverse of all the steps so far.

18. Turn the engine on, put your finder over the sensor in the back and the one on the front and marvel as the mirror starts to go dark and misty. I'm really happy with the result and as the cuts were made to the top of the case you can't see them at all.

Special thanks again go to Jim Forrest for the mirror it's saved me a fair amount of cash.
Let me know if you have any questions.

·
19,981 Posts
Good write up!

·
Registered
861 Posts
Well done Ed, start off right.

·
19,981 Posts
Ed - I don't suppose you have the pin outs for both the white and the yellow plugs? That way if some-one else has to change their rearview chromatic mirror - they just have to change the plugs? Insertion/removal tools needed obviously.

·
Registered
10,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ed - I don't suppose you have the pin outs for both the white and the yellow plugs? That way if some-one else has to change their rearview chromatic mirror - they just have to change the plugs? Insertion/removal tools needed obviously.
I looked into rewriting the plugs and all the cables both externally and internally are different colours so I had no idea what was supposed to go where. Unfortunately I thew the old bits away with a clear out a couple of months ago.

·
19,981 Posts
I looked into rewriting the plugs and all the cables both externally and internally are different colours so I had no idea what was supposed to go where. Unfortunately I thew the old bits away with a clear out a couple of months ago.
Ah - they're on the PCB mate - in your photo; No 14 :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts