·
Registered
2010 XFS 3.0d Portfolio
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
I believe that oil is suitable for the 3.0D rear diff. There is a specific quantity to fill the diff, not to the fill plug, if you've got that much in, it's overfilled. I don't have the exact quantity to hand, pretty sure it's been mentioned several times. Someone will be along shortly to state, or use the search function.

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
Yeah there's a specific fill quantity which is below the level of the fill hole.

That means it's virtually impossible just to do a top up, it's got to be emptied to know how much you're refilling.

I believe opie oils generally have a very good reputation too, and very helpful. I'd drop them a line or email just to check it's the correct jaguar spec and I'm sure they'll check thier details.

We used to have the "oilman" as a user on mg-rover.org when they first set up the business and he regularly on explaining all things oil related.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
One of the other diff threads covered the quantities. I’ll try and fish it out for you.

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
Hi

We're still on forums, just not as busy on forums as we used to be.

Yes, the Gear 300 is ideal for the diff and it's top end stuff. It holds 0.9L.

Cheers

Tim
Ah nice to hear from you again, I used to enjoy your posts regarding all things oil and the technicalities of it. I'm sure everyone else would too if you got chance.

Reactions: ChrisSB

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi

I think we are posting some of the technical articles on some forums, but also on Facebook. It's difficult with forums now, we were on 1000+ at one point and probably 100 of those were very active. From what I see now, a lot of forums are dead, so many have shifted to Facebook.

Cheers

Tim

·
Super Moderator
28,976 Posts
Hi

I think we are posting some of the technical articles on some forums, but also on Facebook. It's difficult with forums now, we were on 1000+ at one point and probably 100 of those were very active. From what I see now, a lot of forums are dead, so many have shifted to Facebook.

Cheers

Tim
Opie Oils used to be very active on my forum, Punto Sports Club, but as you said, like many others, it’s pretty dead on their now. Pretty sure Opie Oils sponsored me on one of my Europe rallies back in 2007/2008.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Hi,

Can someone confirm for me if its ok to use this oil for my diff, recommended by Opie Oils - Motul Gear 300 75W-90 Synthetic Car Gearbox & Diff Oil 1 Litre for Jaguar XF Diesel Saloon 3.0 D

Also from searching on here some people suggest the diff shouldn't be filled up to where the oil begins to come out of the filling hole, I thought this was the process for all diffs?

I used Castrol Syntrax Longlife 75W-90 Fully Synthetic Car Gearbox Oil - Formerly SAF-XO which I think has been superseded by Castrol TRANSMAX Axle Long Life 75W-90. But I would be happy using Motul as well, I use their engine oil for the XF and she seems to love it.

The diff fill hole is a bit awkward to access, tucked away. Mind to crack open the fill plug before the drain plug, I always have to consciously remind myself to do that! lol

Opie Oils is my go-to place for both the Jaguar and our Suzuki. I've never had anything but excellent service from them and fast deliveries.

Reactions: Oilman
1 - 12 of 12 Posts