Jaguar Forum banner
141 - 160 of 196 Posts

·
Registered
23,876 Posts
But you did say something John, hence the reply from Coolcity...
Really, Pete?
You got anything to add to this discussion or just waiting to have a (another) pop at me?

My last post (#112) was reinforcing @Coolcity 's point so didn't really understand his reaction either.

·
Registered
10,569 Posts
Yes John, really.. You did say something..
Define "worth".
Which was post #134.. not the "My last post (#112)" that you quoted..

And as for "having another pop at you".. no, that's never been the case at all...

·
Registered
23,876 Posts
I know what I posted and when I posted it. Really didn't need it being pointed out by anyone.

·
Registered
10,569 Posts
Apparently you do..

·
Registered
10,569 Posts
;)

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
A quick search gives the manufacturing costs of an iPhone as $570. Add to that development costs, warranty repair costs, sales costs, tax etc. and you will see that the margin is high but not excessive for what is a "want to have" product. The app tax is another matter though ...

·
Registered
23,876 Posts
So now we have its value. What's it worth to Apple fans? £1000 maybe?

·
Registered
5,996 Posts
A quick search gives the manufacturing costs of an iPhone as $570. Add to that development costs, warranty repair costs, sales costs, tax etc. and you will see that the margin is high but not excessive for what is a "want to have" product. The app tax is another matter though ...
Are those manufacturing costs inclusive of dev costs? I would suggest unless it specifically says so, then it probably does include dev costs too.

·
Super Moderator
32,339 Posts
People forget that Samsung, Google and other Android phone manufacturers also sell their devices for £1000+.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
32,339 Posts
Are those manufacturing costs inclusive of dev costs? I would suggest unless it specifically says so, then it probably does include dev costs too.
I thought they were the BOM costs.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Given the number of devices that Apple sell every year and the number of people who are pre-ordering new phones every 12 months from them I’d say Coolcity is probably in a minority.

As for saying Android phones are better, well that’s entirely an opinion. I’ve been given several Android phones over the years for work and have had friends with them too and can’t say I’ve ever liked them or would ever have spent a few hundred quid on one but I’m quite happy spending a grand on an iPhone as in my opinion they are a far superior product.

·
Registered
23,876 Posts
People forget that Samsung, Google and other Android phone manufacturers also sell their devices for £1000+.

Of course. That's not the point.
The "worth" of ANYTHING is what it can be sold for. Mobile phones, cars, works of art . . .

·
Super Moderator
32,339 Posts
Of course. That's not the point.
The "worth" of ANYTHING is what it can be sold for. Mobile phones, cars, works of art . . .
Missed the point John. I wasn’t referring to that. It was more the “iPhones only cost £200 make, equivalent Android..” comment. (I’m paraphrasing).

·
Registered
10,489 Posts
OK I give in, because if £300 for an £18 part isn't anything BUT blatant profiteering then I must be from a different planet. Remember we're not talking about £18 wholesale or manufacturing cost vs £300 selling price, we're talking about simply buying the exact same part.

I'm pretty sure that most reasonably sane people would be pretty unhappy if they found that one part on a Jag cost 16 times more than the same part on a Ford. And yes, I do know it goes on between different models but I doubt there are too many instances where the difference is over 16X
Again, this is an example of ‘what the market is willing to pay’. Your average Lotus owner will pay £300 for that part. Your average car flipper will not as they are trying to make as much ‘profit’ upon reselling it. Is than not just basic business sense?

BTW, the washer fluid level sensor I just replaced on my Jaguar was £34 delivered from a main dealer. There is an exact equivalent Ford part which was £48 delivered.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I'll answer the Android phone one, as there are different models so there's no 'one example fits all'. As for the rest, it's pointless, we're just going round in circles. I understand the points being made but I'll just say that by some of the definitions here, it seems that there's no such thing as a rip-off.

Android phones; there have been many that are not particularly good and there have been many that are, technically and in physical build quality, considerably better than the iPhone. There are countless examples on YouTube and elsewhere.

I've already explained that Apple use marketing techniques to suggest their product is superior and use this not obit to seek their products, but to do so at a higher price than their competitors. Such as the Retina screen trick, where they suggest that because it's a "Retina" screen it's superior to anything out there. I could give a disengaged more examples where they've used terminology to suggest that their product is better, or indeed that it is unique when in fact it isn't. In many cases it's only unique because they've given the component a name and trademarked it (such as the Retina screen), while the reality is that there were always better screens out there than that screen. This is just one example and they've used it to good effect throughout. It's nothing but a marketing technique to suggest that the product, or that part of it, is better than the competition. It's ripping people off not only because its deliberately deceptive but because its not actually true.

This is just one example and I could have used many other products, I'm not dissing Apple phones for the sake of it and I'm not suggesting that they are a bad product, but they create the perception that they're the best amongst their fans in a similar way that BMW fans claim their car is superior to a Jag. But there have been countless tests that gave proven otherwise, that there are phones with better spec and comparable build quality that easily outperform the iPhone in just about every way but cost a fraction of the price.

There are Android products now that are above £1000 because the market has been created for it, the likes of Samsung realised that if they could produce the kind of hype that Apple had produced then they could sell their products at similar prices.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Again, this is an example of ‘what the market is willing to pay’. Your average Lotus owner will pay £300 for that part. Your average car flipper will not as they are trying to make as much ‘profit’ upon reselling it. Is than not just basic business sense?

BTW, the washer fluid level sensor I just replaced on my Jaguar was £34 delivered from a main dealer. There is an exact equivalent Ford part which was £48 delivered.
Not in my opinion it isn't, it's telling the Lotus driver that's what he'll have to pay because its something he most likely needs and they know that he doesn't realise that he can get the exact same part considerably cheaper elsewhere.

Would you go into a chip shop and pay £1 for chips but £2 for fries if you knew they were exactly the same thing?

·
Firm Rampant Member
21,813 Posts
Not in my opinion it isn't, it's telling the Lotus driver that's what he'll have to pay because its something he most likely needs and they know that he doesn't realise that he can get the exact same part considerably cheaper elsewhere.

Would you go into a chip shop and pay £1 for chips but £2 for fries if you knew they were exactly the same thing?
Your final comment contradicts the sentence before.

141 - 160 of 196 Posts