Jaguar Forum banner
181 - 196 of 196 Posts

·
Firm Rampant Member
21,813 Posts
So regarding the OPS question about the price of oil back in 2006 compared to today and the difference in price; did anyone factor in that oil is sold in $US and that the exchange rates were very different then?

Someone work that out and then tell me oil companies are fleecing us daft.

Something else driving up prices is the after effects of covid. My job is crying out for people and the wages are going up significantly to attract experienced competent personnel. I heard yesterday that an agency is offering 50% more than what I'm on now. Tempted? You're bloody right I am!!!
Who do you have in mind?

·
Firm Rampant Member
21,813 Posts
So regarding the OPS question about the price of oil back in 2006 compared to today and the difference in price; did anyone factor in that oil is sold in $US and that the exchange rates were very different then?

Someone work that out and then tell me oil companies are fleecing us daft.

Something else driving up prices is the after effects of covid. My job is crying out for people and the wages are going up significantly to attract experienced competent personnel. I heard yesterday that an agency is offering 50% more than what I'm on now. Tempted? You're bloody right I am!!!
I predicted this rebound during the first pandemic, sir.
Many outfits took the opportunity to offload staff without considering for a moment that the rebound would be huge.
I'm sure that you'll take the right decision ....and enjoy the extra cash..

Reactions: Rigger

·
Super Moderator
32,340 Posts
I call 9p pretty far off.

Reactions: PeteA

·
Registered
237 Posts
demand and need.

I had a Windows phone ( stolen whilst in Emmen).
I thought it was bloody great ( after being stuck with a blackberry for years)... anyone else had a Windows phone?
Well following an enforced absence, I think everything's been said that needed to be said, but I had intended to replying to thins one.

Yes - I had one and was gutted when Microsoft decided to throw the towel in. I thought they were streets ahead of anything else, remarkably simple to use yet with all the features of the rest. The Lumia 950 had face recognition long before the iPhone did, and it worked in the dark too. It's still a better system than the camera-based ones on most Android phones now.

This was another thing that Apple conned the buying public with by giving their version a different name, Face ID, thereby suggesting nobody else had the same feature. This is probably Apple's most common marketing trick, and I'm not going back into whether they're overpriced or not; people pay what they want to so - to them at least - it doesn't really matter.

I have a Sony now. Oddly that doesn't even have face recognition, which for a manufacturer well known for their cameras seems to be an unusual decision.

·
Super Moderator
32,340 Posts
Windows phone was garbage. Can’t remember how many I had to reply for a customer. The phone hardware was ok, I had a Lumia 1020 as a work phone, but the software was terrible. That’s why they binned it off.

As for Face ID, it’s not just normal face recognition. It’s far more advanced than that. Same goes for Touch ID, which I miss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
237 Posts
I'm actually quite familiar with Microsoft and the mobile phone issue and the reasons it were scrapped is because of the apps, the software, as you say. There was a general media-led misconception that there were hardly any apps (there were almost a million, how many do you need?), but take up was slow, particularly in the US (in some European countries it outsold the iPhone!), and as a result it was harder to get the more popular apps and bigger companies, banks etc. on board. They were gradually beginning to break through but then Microsoft had a change of CEO, who wasn't a fan, and that really was the end of the Windows phone. It didn't help that they had to bail Nokia out, who were nearly bankrupt, on the verge of the release of the new OS.

Yes, Face ID is a lot more sophisticated, but as with everything else Apple marketed it as a unique feature rather than a different version of an existing one. Sort of like redesigning the tread on a tyre and not calling it a tyre but a revolutionary new thing.

·
Super Moderator
32,340 Posts
It’s not just Apple that are good with that kind of marketing.

·
Firm Rampant Member
21,813 Posts
I'm actually quite familiar with Microsoft and the mobile phone issue and the reasons it were scrapped is because of the apps, the software, as you say. There was a general media-led misconception that there were hardly any apps (there were almost a million, how many do you need?), but take up was slow, particularly in the US (in some European countries it outsold the iPhone!), and as a result it was harder to get the more popular apps and bigger companies, banks etc. on board. They were gradually beginning to break through but then Microsoft had a change of CEO, who wasn't a fan, and that really was the end of the Windows phone. It didn't help that they had to bail Nokia out, who were nearly bankrupt, on the verge of the release of the new OS.

Yes, Face ID is a lot more sophisticated, but as with everything else Apple marketed it as a unique feature rather than a different version of an existing one. Sort of like redesigning the tread on a tyre and not calling it a tyre but a revolutionary new thing.
very true
not a lot of apps but, and yes I can accept that it may not have been the best, moving from a uber encrypted blackberry to the Windows was night and day.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Oh, absolutely not, I'm not suggesting it is. From a business point of view you have to admire what they have done, but there are countless other examples. One that springs to mind is Anadin marketing different versions, one for headaches, one for periods pain and so on, and all at different prices. But they were exactly the same thing. In fact when you think how cheap you can buy aspirin or paracetamol you wonder how they still manage to sell the branded stuff.

Same with anything though, I bought some Steyer Panel Wipe today to prep my wheels for a protective coating. It's half the price of Gtechniq but is more or less the exact same thing.

·
Registered
237 Posts
very true
not a lot of apps but, and yes I can accept that it may not have been the best, moving from a uber encrypted blackberry to the Windows was night and day.
When I switched from Android I didn't actually miss anything. I work from my PC so it was probably easier for me than for those who rely more on their phones when they're out, but most of the core apps that people use were there. What people didn't realise is that the likes of Android might have a zillion apps but they're all duplicates of the same thing, a thousand calculators, a thousand fart apps and so on. For me, Windows phone were far less cluttered and it was easier to find a decent app as you were not searching amongst so much garbage. I think the Android store is the ebay of the smartphone world. 99% junk.

·
Super Moderator
32,340 Posts
Oh, absolutely not, I'm not suggesting it is. From a business point of view you have to admire what they have done, but there are countless other examples. One that springs to mind is Anadin marketing different versions, one for headaches, one for periods pain and so on, and all at different prices. But they were exactly the same thing. In fact when you think how cheap you can buy aspirin or paracetamol you wonder how they still manage to sell the branded stuff.

Same with anything though, I bought some Steyer Panel Wipe today to prep my wheels for a protective coating. It's half the price of Gtechniq but is more or less the exact same thing.
I prefer the U-Pol stuff.

·
Registered
XJ Portfolio.2014.Amethyst Black.
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #195 ·
Back on trucking fack, wife got a wee car that has only EVER been run on Super Diesel by a friend, so out of respect I decided to follow suit. Fantastic Deal….! Fekn NOT……the very same bobbing rastards who charged me £2.20 are now £2.09 a litre for Super Diesel….! What do you call a collection of railway employees who hide from trains being moved noisily around….? Yep…..you guessed it…..

A cower of shunts……! Made that up……

181 - 196 of 196 Posts