Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Firm Rampant Member
22,358 Posts
It only triggers debate amongst people who will NOT listen to mechanics who open EGRs and engines regularly that run on crap fuel. Doing a high mileage at motorway speeds in a Euro 5 car…? You should be ok. Running a Euro 6 oil diluter…? Use supermarket pish at your peril, regardless of high motorway miles.
Which is why all car leasing Co's insist that super narket ( yep) fuel is never used with their vehicles.

they don't.

·
Firm Rampant Member
22,358 Posts
Once the car is out and leased, they give not a shit if you run it on paraffin. Out of their hands and liability transferred.

IT IS………
not so.
it's always their property....until it's sold

Reactions: Coolcity

·
Firm Rampant Member
22,358 Posts
Methinks you have missed the smaller printed sarcastic bit at the bottom of Dave’s post, John. Lol.

……….and like any motor retailer, they will sell on any faulty shite we are daft enough to buy under the auspices of two things…..buyer beware and tough tit mate.
like those who sell premium fuel .. to those who missed the chance to buy some magic beans ?

• Haha
Reactions: Nathan

·
Firm Rampant Member
22,358 Posts
Democracy is doing so well in the critical services ….
imagine a private UK Co with over

200+ CEOs
200+ finance directors
200+ deputy finance directors
200+ procurement directors

et bloody cetre

Reactions: Coolcity

·
Firm Rampant Member
22,358 Posts
I'm not sure democracy is really the best word for what we have, is First Past the Post really representative? And what about gerrymandering?

I do wonder if it would be better to simply have one nationwide vote for the party to rule the country? Maybe also introduce some Direct Democracy, but not to the level where it impedes routine progress.
the half German half Chinese chap?

·
Firm Rampant Member
22,358 Posts
Life would be wonderful if it was as black and white as that.

Apple, to quote just one, certainly set the price for their £1000+ iPhones long before other companies were charging similar prices. You could buy an equivalent or in most cases, considerably better, Android phone for well under half as much so please don't tell me that was anything but blatant profiteering by Apple.
you charge what the customer is willing to pay.

·
Firm Rampant Member
22,358 Posts
There's a difference between operating a profitable business and fleecing customers for as much as you can get out of them, at least morally. I don't really know why retailers/forecourt owners are being discussed here because we all know that their share of the value of each litre is only a couple of percent. It goes much deeper than the retailers, and obviously you're not so naïve that you don't know that.

As for Apple, they sell a £1000 product that's worth £200 (based on the selling price of equivalent Android products), and they do it by selling to gullible Americans by trying (and for the most part, succeeding) in convincing then that it's a considerably better product. Except it isn't.

One example is the way they name certain features then market it as a unique feature that nobody has. The "Retina" screen was a classic example. They told the world it was unique, it was the best screen out there. Except it wasn't, not by some distance. But you couldn't compare them because nobody else was allowed to use the exact same "Retina" screen. Dress it up any way you like but they basically deceived people, it's nothing to do with "market forces", it's deception, pure and simple.

Not convinced? Well here's a completely different example. Some years ago a friend of mine bought an accident damaged Lotus (I forget which model), and rebuilt it. It was almost complete and amongst the few things he still needed was a front indicator/sidelight lens. Lotus quoted around £300 - this was over 30 years ago.

Convinced he'd seen the same part elsewhere, he held his ground and waited while he tried to remember where. Then he spotted one. On a Morris Marina. It was the exact same part, made in the exact same factory, and the Morris Marina one cost £18. Again that's just blatant profiteering. The point is this is widespread company policy, these are not isolated incidents.
they did use Morris parts.
not blatant profiteering,.. margins are important

·
Firm Rampant Member
22,358 Posts
The difference between Lotus & BL is that despite their vehicles having the same number of components, Lotus sold very few & BL sold thousands. Once you apportion the running costs of the parts department, the selling price of Lotus parts may need to be 16x higher than BL?

What you regard as deception, an entrepreneur would call "marketing". Surely a key business skill is creating a USP regardless of whether you sell the best product or not? Apple have done that successfully by creating a premium brand.

If you wanted to sell your car, would you try to get as much for it as you could or would you price match the cheapest offering on autotrader?

Business is not an extension of the welfare state or a charity.
You're completely twisting the argument. Getting as much as you can for something doesn't mean charging 16x it's actual value.

There's a difference between maximising your profits and ripping people off, and there's a difference between successful marketing and deceiving the public into thinking a product is better than the competition and therefore worth far more, regardless of whether you want to accept it or not.

Although some of the responces here highlight much that's wrong with the capitalist system.
what device have you posted this from?

·
Firm Rampant Member
22,358 Posts
Not in my opinion it isn't, it's telling the Lotus driver that's what he'll have to pay because its something he most likely needs and they know that he doesn't realise that he can get the exact same part considerably cheaper elsewhere.

Would you go into a chip shop and pay £1 for chips but £2 for fries if you knew they were exactly the same thing?
Your final comment contradicts the sentence before.

·
Firm Rampant Member
22,358 Posts
Again, this is an example of ‘what the market is willing to pay’. Your average Lotus owner will pay £300 for that part. Your average car flipper will not as they are trying to make as much ‘profit’ upon reselling it. Is than not just basic business sense?

BTW, the washer fluid level sensor I just replaced on my Jaguar was £34 delivered from a main dealer. There is an exact equivalent Ford part which was £48 delivered.
I'm working on a nice project at the moment.
The CEO contacted me in reference to the RFQ.
He stated that my offer was competitive and he was happy to press ahead.
However, on one item he stated that whilst it was more cost effective than my competition- he still expected it to be even cheaper and believed that my offer was based on the market itself.

Isn't that how business works?

·
Firm Rampant Member
22,358 Posts
Bill of materials.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
r and d
patents
features ...benefits
etc

value adding sales.

a basic example.

product x is more expensive in cash terms but will save
x in production time... etc etc

cost is one thing
value/worth can be more of a concept and can be unique to an individual.

·
Firm Rampant Member
22,358 Posts
As interesting as this is, back on topic; the choice of whether or not to buy a product is far less pronounced and non-existent for some, when it cones to buying fuel for a vehicle. The oil companies have a captive "audiance" so where is the market force that determines the worth or value of diesel?
demand and need.

I had a Windows phone ( stolen whilst in Emmen).
I thought it was bloody great ( after being stuck with a blackberry for years)... anyone else had a Windows phone?

·
Firm Rampant Member
22,358 Posts
when making offers to major OEMs it wasn't unusual to be asked to present full component/ raw material costings of the final product .
Were never happy to do the same for their product.

PITA.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts