Jaguar Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

Registered
Shrek, have you managed to achieve four wheel weelspin yet? I did the other day, on MPS4s. 馃榿

• Haha
Reactions: Shrek

Registered
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Just to throw another into the mix, after a bit of goggling and reading various user and professional reviews, the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetrical 5 comes out really well.

Has anybody used them before? The only thing is that they don't do a 275/35r20 but they do have a 265/40r20 which has identical label stats as the front 245/40r20 with A for economy, A for Wet and 71db noise, they also have a wear rate of 45K miles.

There's only + 0.7" difference in diameter, which equated to an additional 1.8mph at 70mph but as my clock says I'm doing 73mph when my GPS says 70mph it should even things out.

The thing that impressed me during my research is that even though they don't specify that they are all season, the tread pattern does appear to be more towards a summer/all season and they have been reported to work well in slush and light snow but still great in the summer, which sounds ideal to me.

They performed better than the MPS4s in wet handling, braking and pretty similar aquaplane tests.

Any thoughts?

Dom

Registered
Hi Dom, I have posted before on this, I have for years used the Goodyear Asy 3's "J" rated, superb tyres then when the 5's came out I thought I would give them a try. WRONG, worst decision of my life (nearly), they are just as good for wet handling, and there it stops. Compared to the 3's they are noisy and now the cooler weather has arrived they are like riding on bricks. I can't wait to wear them out and get the cursed things off the car. Phil

Super Moderator
Hi Dom, I have posted before on this, I have for years used the Goodyear Asy 3's "J" rated, superb tyres then when the 5's came out I thought I would give them a try. WRONG, worst decision of my life (nearly), they are just as good for wet handling, and there it stops. Compared to the 3's they are noisy and now the cooler weather has arrived they are like riding on bricks. I can't wait to wear them out and get the cursed things off the car. Phil
I had the 3鈥檚 on my XF and I can concur they were a superb tyre. Can鈥檛 comment on the 5鈥檚

Registered
XJ Portfolio.2014.Amethyst Black.
Michelin PS4S are by far the best summer tyre in cold temps. I have them on the F-Type and the Mrs has them on her Mini (well PS4 version). Even now when it鈥檚 around zero, they鈥檙e still good compared to the P-Zeros on my JCW. Yes you have to be careful, but unless you鈥檙e on snow, then I鈥檓 not a fan of full winter tyres, just too squiffy. And given our winters where it gets above 7鈥檆 quite often, then winter tyres become a tad dangerous. I took off the winters my JCW came with in November. All seasons are ok-ish, unless you like a spirited drive in the summer. Then they鈥檙e not so good.
Funny how different us humans all are鈥︹ am just about to complete a full two year period driving the whole time on cold weather 鈥渨inter鈥 tyres. At no time have I found them in any way 鈥渟quiffy鈥 regardless of season, albeit I must observe I need to screw the bobbin a wee bit in mild climes with very heavy rain. They can be caught out minimally then.We get lots of rain just east of Inverness in winter, but in dry summer conditions the grip is superb.

Registered
Just to throw another into the mix, after a bit of goggling and reading various user and professional reviews, the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetrical 5 comes out really well.

The thing that impressed me during my research is that even though they don't specify that they are all season, the tread pattern does appear to be more towards a summer/all season and they have been reported to work well in slush and light snow but still great in the summer, which sounds ideal to me.

They performed better than the MPS4s in wet handling, braking and pretty similar aquaplane tests.

Any thoughts?

Dom
Dom,
These (F1) were fitted to my wife鈥檚 Range Rover velar and they were worse than useless in the snow. I mean really useless in Scottish snow. I changed them for Pirelli Scorpion verde all season tyres and the transformation was stunning. The rangie performed flawlessly in all conditions in all seasons.
maybe the F1s are OK down south but certainly not in sub zero deep snow in Scotland.
I use mps4s on the XFR except in winter when I changed to Nokian winter tyres in winter.
however, now I live in Devon and I just used the mps4s this winter(have we had one? 馃槀) and so far so good!

Registered
2011 XJ Supercharged
I haven't seen anyone recommend them yet and I'm not sure if it's something that's in your market but I've had Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06's on all three Jags I've owned. I live in an area that regularly gets a good amount of snow during the winter and have never had an issue with them, even on my most recent rear wheel drive supercharged XJ. I get pretty good mileage out of them and have had no issues with performance pushing about 550+ hp and I do believe my current rears are 275/35R20 but to be fair I have also not tested any other brands as I've felt no need to so the Pilot Sport 4S may be better.

Registered
The Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 (not 5) is a great tyre, on the XF, grippy in summer, planted in rain and very good on the milder winters we get here on the East Coast of Northern Ireland.
I鈥檝e done 11k on these and there is plenty of tread left on them. I鈥檝e never had more than 15k out of a set of tyres on my XFs so these are looking good.

That said, I did splash out on a set of Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season for Mrs S鈥檚 F-Pace recently and they seem really good. They are about the price of a set of Michelin MP4S.

If it snows, we鈥檒l have something we can get about.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
So guys, I've come to the conclusion that it's the MPS4s when it comes time to change, a couple of videos below bolstered your advice;

Driving in freezing conditions

Driving in heavy rain at 7 degrees

I will keep some Autosocks in the boot for the rare occurrence where I may actually have to drive on some snow.

Thanks all for your advice.

Dom

Registered
Not seen these vids. Will give them a watch, thanks.

Registered
I use different brands on each end of the car. Michelin PS4S on the front and Goodyear Eagle F1A2 on the rear. I got 3 years out of the last set and just refreshed the set last week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

21 - 32 of 32 Posts