Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Afternoon All,

On my previous car (XF Sportbrake) I ran (Nokian) all season tires, however, there doesn't seem to be any in 275/35 r20 at all.

My question is; Do I go for Michelin Pilot Alpin 5 and use them all year round? I've read they have great longevity and all other qualities, as you all know, we only really get a couple of weeks of what can be termed "hot" weather each year, with the mean temp being just below 10 degrees celcius.

End of Jan last year, when we did have some snow in my area and the roads weren't gritted I just cruised on by effortlessly whilst others were struggling immensely, I can only assume due to being on summer tires.

The other option would be the Michelin Pilot Sport 4s but then the question is, how do they fair when the temp drops below 7 degrees? What about when the temp is closer to 0 degrees.

What are your real world experiences of either tire in and out of their designated season?

Many thanks in advance.

Dom

·
Administrator
30,260 Posts
My experience is:

Full summer tyres - about as much use as a chocolate teapot when it is snowy/icy. Perfect in summer!

Full winter tyres - fantastic in winter, wore out a tad faster in summer. TBH I never experienced the alleged handling shortfall of winter tyres in summer, maybe I don't drive enough like a (insert word of choice here) to get close enough to the edge of the grip envelope.

All season - what I routinely fit now, as I can't be bothered to have two sets of wheels and swap them seasonally, and they seem to be a good compromise and allow reasonable traction on snow or ice. Enough to keep going anyway, when summer tyre shod cars stop.

·
Administrator
28,415 Posts
I don't think there is a 275/35/20 all seasons tyre. Full winter tyre choice is also pretty limited & very expensive - Michelin Alpins, Pirelli winter PZeros & some Vredesteins.

Alpins work well in winter but I've no idea what they're like in summer.

·
Registered
9,346 Posts
I've recently put Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season tyres on the F-Pace.
First time doing this, and we'll probably never see snow as we've only had two-three nights below zero so far this winter, but it gives that extra peace of mind when Mrs S is out and about in it.
So far they're nail free (don't ask...) and are fairly quiet, grippy and easy to dress with shiny tyre gel.

I see they come close to your size in a 275/45R20

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've recently put Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season tyres on the F-Pace.
First time doing this, and we'll probably never see snow as we've only had two-three nights below zero so far this winter, but it gives that extra peace of mind when Mrs S is out and about in it.
So far they're nail free (don't ask...) and are fairly quiet, grippy and easy to dress with shiny tyre gel.

I see they come close to your size in a 275/45R20
Thanks but unfortunately they won't fit, on the tire size comparison they come out 2" larger in diameter, I would be concerned about clearance, not to mention they would add 7mph over what is on the clock.

Dom

·
Registered
12,195 Posts
I’m pretty sure the Pirelli P Zero Nero are the (only) all season tyre recommended by Jag for the XJ.

So my assumption is that they must be available in 275/35 20 and 245/40 20.

Goes off to check...

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Michelin PS4S are by far the best summer tyre in cold temps. I have them on the F-Type and the Mrs has them on her Mini (well PS4 version). Even now when it’s around zero, they’re still good compared to the P-Zeros on my JCW. Yes you have to be careful, but unless you’re on snow, then I’m not a fan of full winter tyres, just too squiffy. And given our winters where it gets above 7’c quite often, then winter tyres become a tad dangerous. I took off the winters my JCW came with in November. All seasons are ok-ish, unless you like a spirited drive in the summer. Then they’re not so good.

Reactions: Sdotk

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Great Find, your google fu is obviously better than mine.

Dom
Now I know why I can't find them, they are US market only, no mention or listing of them on the UK site.

Oh well, back to the drawing board.

Dom

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Michelin PS4S are by far the best summer tyre in cold temps. I have them on the F-Type and the Mrs has them on her Mini (well PS4 version). Even now when it’s around zero, they’re still good compared to the P-Zeros on my JCW. Yes you have to be careful, but unless you’re on snow, then I’m not a fan of full winter tyres, just too squiffy. And given our winters where it gets above 7’c quite often, then winter tyres become a tad dangerous. I took off the winters my JCW came with in November. All seasons are ok-ish, unless you like a spirited drive in the summer. Then they’re not so good.
Hi Shrek,

Good feedback, so how has driving the F-Type been on the MPS4Ss been in freezing temps in terms of handling and feel, did you notice any discernible drop off in grip, handling, comfort or braking, particularly is wet conditions? One of my biggest concerns is aquaplaning.

Dom

·
Registered
200 Posts
Guess it depends where you live, Im in the south east and use MPS4S all year. If I lived in Scotland then I would still use MPS4S but have a 4x4 as well.

·
Super Moderator
31,067 Posts
Another happy drivers on MPS4S all year round. They might not be a patch on winter tyres they are perfectly fine for cold wet weather. I've driven in the snow with them and that is a little sketchy, but I just wont drive it in those conditions.

Reactions: Sdotk and PeteA

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
I've yet to replace the (not too bad so far) Maxxis tyres on my XJ as there's a load of life left in them. When I do though I'll be looking for Michelin Pilot Sport 4's.

On my previous XF I replaced the Pirelli's with Michelin's and will probably always use Michelin in the future.

We're fortunate that the weather here in the west country rarely gets bad enough to warrant winter tyres.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
MP4S get my vote also. Use them year round with little to no issues regardless of how cold/wet it is out there.

I'm tempted by Goodyear F1 Supersports but it's a big investment just to try out some tyres.

Reactions: PeteA

·
Registered
9,292 Posts
MP4S's all year down here in the proper SW, just about to Google 'snow'...

• Haha
Reactions: Popeye and Sdotk

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Hi Shrek,

Good feedback, so how has driving the F-Type been on the MPS4Ss been in freezing temps in terms of handling and feel, did you notice any discernible drop off in grip, handling, comfort or braking, particularly is wet conditions? One of my biggest concerns is aquaplaning.

Dom
The grip drops to that of a P-Zero in Summer :D

ETA - actually, not as bad as a P-Zero in summer

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well I guess the consensus is that it's MPS4S all year round.

Thanks Guys,

P.S. I still have plenty of tread on the current set (that came with the cat), my only concern is that it's Dunslips (SP MAXX GT J) on the rear and Goodyear Eagle F1s on the front

·
Super Moderator
31,067 Posts
I wouldn't put Dunslips on a wheel barrow.

• Haha
Reactions: PeteA
1 - 20 of 32 Posts