Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Thought it about time I create a thread on my XKR, about the car, issues, faults, fixes and mods.

Most have seen this pic, but prudent to start with a pic of the car for those who haven't seen it.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Grille

I fitted a cross-over center exhaust in an attempt to allow the V8 burble out, it didn't really make much difference.
Motor vehicle Wood Gas Automotive exterior Electrical wiring

I recently bought a used Elite & Performance Jags rear exhaust box, was a little marked so I'm polishing it before fitting.
In Jordan style, here's progress pics.
As bought:
Hand tool Tool Wood Metalworking hand tool Pliers

Right input pipe polished:
Table Wheel Tire Bicycle part Wood

Left input pipe polished:
Wheel Tire Table Wood Tool

Worn out now, tea.

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
And finally all polished.
Bicycle handlebar Vehicle Bicycle tire Tire Crankset

·
Administrator
30,260 Posts
Very nice. Don't go over-doing it tho'.

Reactions: Popeye

·
Registered
9,346 Posts
Most excellent job there Alan, that looks superb.
I must put a bit more effort into the MG one before I nail it back on!

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It was very therapeutic to be able to do some work in the garage. I've changed how I work, bought a decent mechanics creeper that converts to various different modes including a stool and I take regular breaks. I've a box full of poly bushes that I want to change on the suspension, these will be next after the exhaust, but I'll take my time.

·
Registered
9,346 Posts
Do.
Working on suspension, even if it is in reasonable shape, is fairly tough going.

·
Registered
🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿X260 R-Sport in Aurora Red
12,308 Posts

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Too good to fit to a car & take on mucky roads!

Reactions: cutlea01

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Fitted the exhaust to the car, I knew I should have just removed the old one and left fitting the new to another day. Now I’m totally shattered. Phew. Still, it's good exercise, I was told to do something every day. Need to refit the tips with some exhaust paste, they're a bit of a loose fit and the joint leaks.
Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
9,346 Posts
Lovely Alan. Lovely.

Reactions: cutlea01

·
Administrator
30,260 Posts
Don't go overdoing things now!

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Don't go overdoing things now!
I'm trying not to but once I get started I don't want to stop! It's been months since I've really been able to do "proper" stuff in the garage on the cars.

Last MoT there was a single advisory for the rear shock absorber lower bushes being soft. I've got a replacement pair so that'll be the next job, not that I think there's anything wrong with them, having just checked. Think the units will have to come off so I can push the bushes out on the press. I did notice both shock bodies were slightly moist, from the top of the damper tube though. Hope they're not knackered, they're around £500 each.

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Finished off the exhaust install, modified the quads so they are now sealed at the join and don't wobble.

Removed the OSR shock to press out the bush. They are actually worn and soft. Bit of a pain job. I've got a suitable drift to fit the bush to push it out but nothing to act as a receptacle to support the eye of the shock while on the press table that is suitable. I was using the pillar drill vice but being cast iron it very annoying broke :confused: I'll pop over to Halfords and have a look and see if they have a suitable sized socket...something like 38mm...

Reactions: ChrisSB

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ordered a proper bush and bearing removal/insertion kit, pointless struggling while having a decent bench press.
Automotive lighting Red Motor vehicle Font Auto part

·
Administrator
30,260 Posts
You can never have enough tools, lol.

Reactions: dhallworth

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Booked a local mobile wheel referb bloke to have a look at the rims, as I'd dinged 3 of them, all in one day :mad: He said be a couple of hours work, spot repair, £100 all in. That's cheap.
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood

Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
That sounds like different incidents on the same day, how did you manage that?

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Both near side at the same time, sticking out broken curb and on-coming traffic, seen at the last moment and no chance to swerve out, 30MPH - BANG, BANG :mad: Then later the same day, a stupid designed 6' 6" width restriction with a central bypass for emergency vehicles with extended high curbs, which you can't see once past the restriction gate, so you naturally move right, away from the pavement and so catch the rear wheel :mad::mad::mad:
Plant Sky Cloud Building Window

I walked up to it to stretch my legs later that day and about every third car through did the same.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Seems like the Watford width restriction all over again!

1 - 20 of 53 Posts