Jaguar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive just ordered one of these as I often don't use my car for maybe 2-3 days straight so thought a good purchase to keep battery in good charge/condition.

The CTEK tutorial says you can simply connect it to the battery directly, without disconnecting the car from the battery terminals first, just clip the charge cables on with everything still in place and switch on at the mains.

Is this how people on here use theirs? Or do you fully disconnect the battery first before putting the charge clips onto the terminals?

Cheers

·
Registered
17,512 Posts
This is how I have my battery wired, ready to plug in the CTek as or when required.

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17,512 Posts
That short flying lead (I think it's referred to a "comfort" lead) comes as standard with the charger as well as the crocodile clips. I then bought a CTek extension lead so the charger can stay in the garage while I run the wire under the garage door and into the boot. The boot seal is quite spongy enough to accommodate the thin wire when it's closed.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just to clarify then, below are pics of how mine is currently (standard):

im connecting the red circle connector to the below on either of the bolts (or does it have to go on one specific one)?

and with the black one can I connect it onto the negative terminal direct as below (where the smaller nut at the bottom is which tightens up the connector to the terminal), or does it have to go where the thick cable is attached as the second photo down?

Thank you in advance, my knowledge when it comes to this stuff is poor so sorry if im asking daft questions

·
Registered
17,512 Posts
No such thing as a daft question!
Yes, re the +ve (red) terminal. But under the top nut. The lower one would work but that's the one that tightens the connector onto the battery post.
The -ve (black) connector can go onto the battery terminal in the same way but the general advice is to use a nearby convenient earth. And you've identified one in your last photo.

·
Registered
9,728 Posts
You'd be fine just using the supplied croc clips direct on to the battery, just make sure the red positive is secure and no bare metal is anywhere near touching the chassis.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No such thing as a daft question!
Yes, re the +ve (red) terminal. But under the top nut. The lower one would work but that's the one that tightens the connector onto the battery post.
The -ve (black) connector can go onto the battery terminal in the same way but the general advice is to use a nearby convenient earth. And you've identified one in your last photo.
Thanks, on the last pic with the nearby earth.... How does that white plastic thing on top come off?

Are there any alternate suitable earth points on the pics I have posted which would be easier to use (incase the plastic thing is too difficult to remove)?

You'd be fine just using the supplied croc clips direct on to the battery, just make sure the red positive is secure and no bare metal is anywhere near touching the chassis.
If I did use this method could the croc clip on the red side attach to the part attached to the terminal then or does the croc clip have to have some sort of direct contact with the actual battery terminal? Im guessing not as its all metal and the electricity conducts through anyway, but just making sure?
Also thinking if I used this method might be worth putting an old towel on any part of bare metal under the red side incase it slips off?

·
Registered
9,728 Posts
Thanks, on the last pic with the nearby earth.... How does that white plastic thing on top come off?

Are there any alternate suitable earth points on the pics I have posted which would be easier to use (incase the plastic thing is too difficult to remove)?

If I did use this method could the croc clip on the red side attach to the part attached to the terminal then or does the croc clip have to have some sort of direct contact with the actual battery terminal? Im guessing not as its all metal and the electricity conducts through anyway, but just making sure?
Also thinking if I used this method might be worth putting an old towel on any part of bare metal under the red side incase it slips off?
you could attached the red croc clip on ANY metal part of the battery clamp, towel wouldn't do any harm, but I suspect the clip spring is quite strong so unlikely slip off, would only be a potential issue only when the CTEK was actually ON anyway...

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
That short flying lead (I think it's referred to a "comfort" lead)...
Just for the record, the comfort lead is the longer one with the traffic light system of green, amber & red as an easy visual check as to the state of the battery.. however expect to see amber almost all of the time...

What is also important though, is that you cycle through the options with the 'Mode Button' button to get 'Normal Battery Program' & 'AGM Option' lit at the same time. (y)

·
Registered
5,379 Posts
Ive just ordered one of these as I often don't use my car for maybe 2-3 days straight so thought a good purchase to keep battery in good charge/condition.

The CTEK tutorial says you can simply connect it to the battery directly, without disconnecting the car from the battery terminals first, just clip the charge cables on with everything still in place and switch on at the mains.

Is this how people on here use theirs? Or do you fully disconnect the battery first before putting the charge clips onto the terminals?

Cheers
I occasionally haven’t used mine for a couple of weeks because of holidays. Always fires up first time. I think these are more for the low frequency and short journey people.

I dropped from 20k a year in the R-S to 8k in the last year due to a second car and CV19. I did think about one of these but thought ‘let’s see’. Never needed.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for responses gents.

My car sits for three days straight then does 3 miles to and 3 miles back, so im sure ill need one of these.

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
It is recommended to connect the -ve to a separate earth point so that the Battery Condition Monitor (BCM) which is attached to the -ve battery post can see the state of charge. Basically any other convenient bolt into the bodywork.

·
Registered
9,728 Posts
It is recommended to connect the -ve to a separate earth point so that the Battery Condition Monitor (BCM) which is attached to the -ve battery post can see the state of charge. Basically any other convenient bolt into the bodywork.
Recommended, but in actual fact it makes no difference at all

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Just for the record, the comfort lead is the longer one with the traffic light system of green, amber & red as an easy visual check as to the state of the battery.. however expect to see amber almost all of the time...

What is also important though, is that you cycle through the options with the 'Mode Button' button to get 'Normal Battery Program' & 'AGM Option' lit at the same time. (y)

View attachment 181039
And on the older MXS 5.0, the AGM charging option is the cold setting. It just charges at a higher voltage than a normal battery.

·
Administrator
27,432 Posts
I charge the current Mrs Wilf's Ewok direct to the battery terminals, works fine. BCM doesn't seem to care one way or another.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Recommended, but in actual fact it makes no difference at all
That's what I thought until the last battery change, even when supposedly fully charged it would give the 3 minute warning for the radio, then I reset the BCM and magically I was getting 10 minutes until shutdown, so I can only assume it does make a difference. Phil

·
Registered
9,728 Posts
Reactions: PeteA
1 - 20 of 28 Posts