Jaguar Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
:) Thanks Pete. At the moment it is a bit tricky for me. I have downloaded the WM Hamed mentioned. Pages are not numberd and "your" page 1759 is maybe the page 1348 in the downloaded version of jaguardocs.com :) But you are right, is a fairly good description and I found out were are all sensors assembled. I am prepared for my SDD session today :) The sun is shining, Baker's 107 is ready to drink and 50 bottles of nice organic wine are waiting in the cellar :)....

I just got the answer from a ebay seller. They would provide me a donwload link instead of shipping a USB stick from the UK. So next week I will hopefully have this WM :)

·
Registered
8,685 Posts
PM sent.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Updates from my SDD session. As far as I understand the turbo system, something is still wrong. But maybe I am wrong :).
First I can confirm, that one of the old MAFs is somehow defective. I connected it again to the MAF cable of MAF (fixed vane). Ignition was off. Ingnition on afterwards. I heard some strange movement from some actuators. Read the sensor value. 1g/s. Switch back to the new one. No sounds of actuator movement and 0 g/s. 0 or 1 g/s is nearly the same. But the strange reaction/movement of an actuator proved to me, something is wrong with that MAF..

Next step. Current readings of 16 paramaters. Short ride on the autobahn with a kickdown and accelerating from 110 kph to 160 kph and rpm from 1200 rpm to 3180 rpm.
Fixed vane turbo kicks in at 2400 rpm. Bad? WM says 2800.
MAP sensor -> 258 kpa (really? 2.5 bar?)
EGR -> closed (good or bad? Thought they would be open)

MAP defective? I will check the new one from last year tomorrow. I lost 1 hour today because of PC problems with my SDD partition on the stick.

I hope someone could give me a hint, if this Cat is running well or not.

Dirk

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Hi guys,
nice pictures .... Hopefully the original one will last as long as it takes to find the root cause for the cracked intercooler (charge air cooler) and the cacked manifold.

Motor vehicle Bumper Rim Automotive exterior Auto part Motor vehicle Hood Automotive fuel system Automotive exterior Automotive design Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Bumper Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive lighting Car Automotive tire Automotive design Bicycle part Wood Bumper Automotive tire Bicycle part Rim Bumper Automotive design

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
With all the hints and help I got so far, I had a nice weekend gaining knowledge about the turbo system of the my cat. A very good start was the workshop manual. I am missing the assembled sensors in the turbo system. But I will come back later on with precise question regarding single sensors. Questions like "where are all the sensors?" are not very useful. My opinion.
The SDD software is very helpful and it took me only 2 hours, to get used to all the measurement specification and usage. The limit of 16 signals that can be recorded, is painful.
Do we have a workaround for this? A second instance of SDD doesn't work.

My pictures and question regarding EGR and pressure (258 kpa) are obsolete. I thought the manifold absolute pressure is the boost pressure minus barometric pressure. Finally it isn't. It is the real absolute pressure of 2.58 bar. Saw it on SDD, because it starts at the barometric pressure of 98 kpa. So my "real" charging pressure is 1.58 bar. And this is a real normal pressure for this system. I will have some more test drives with SDD to be sure, that my cat is healthy again.

Checked the LMM -> seems to be defective
Checked new manifold pressure sensor -> Not the right one for this Cat. Voltage drops down to 1.07 V (= 77 kpa) and throws manifold pressure sensor error. -> Cleaned the old one and performed the recalibration of air path again.

Next step will be to check the data of the last test drive with the cleaned pressure sensor. After that I will define my next measurements. Currently I am not convinced that only one defective MAF is the root cause for a cracked intercooler and manifold. Even if the Garrett VTG turbo may deliver up to 3 or 5 bar. Some sensor and software has to command such an amount of air....and some other sensors have to ignore, that this is way beyond of their range. And I din't have any fault code in the display before the cracked intercooler or manifold.
I will share my news :)

Dirk

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Bumper

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)
A minor update....what happened in the meantime....
I tried to record if the manifolds R and L are inflating during a load test. But my endoscope camera is not good enough for such videos. So have to go for a system like the GoPro... we will see.
Still I am not convinced that the second manifold is ok. So I took some of the scraped PA66 GF25 parts of my company and perfomed several fracture tests. OK. It is PA66 and not PA6 as the manifolds (the orignal ones). But if you compare the two materials at these particular ambient condition (23°C, 60% humidity) during the fracture test, they should crack in the same way. OK, the PA66 parts have only 25% glass fibre and not 35% as the original manifolds. But this is only relevant, if you want to compare the strength of the material. In my case, I first want to compare, if the chinese manifold is more brittle than another PA66 part. The chinese manifold cracked very easy and could not be bent. The breaking edge is normal. Normal structure. No major defects like blowholes or something like that. My PA66 GF25 test parts could not be fractured very easy. The bent very much before they broke. The breaking edge looks the same as the manifold braking edge. The thickness of the chinese manifold and the Jaguar manifold is the same. Measured at several points. I have been working several years with a company that produced injection moulded parts. So finally I must state that something went wrong during the injection process of this particular chinese manifold. The are several root causes for such a brittle PA6 part. Starting with wet or dry raw material, not well tempered mould, degenerated melted material.....
So I am not 100% convinced that the other chinese manifold ( my passengers side) is ok, but it really seems to be a single defect of this chinese manifold on the driver's side.
I will now start my test sessions to find out more about the real pressure in these manifolds. I think the chinese manifold didn't crack due to higher pressure. The absolute pressure sensor probably would have thrown an error like "absolute pressure sensor fault".

Automotive tire Tread Bicycle part Rim Font Brown Wood Font Tints and shades Metal Wood Font Material property Household hardware Metal Automotive exterior Auto part Bicycle part Gas Bumper
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Automotive design

21 - 26 of 26 Posts