Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see the locations marked in this linked post, but when I look under my car it's all covered with a plastic undertray ( apart from the cutout of the sill ( plastic side trim/bodykit really) for the factory jack on the seam. Looking at the dots in that linked post it looks like they would involve putting the axle stands under the plastic undertray. Is that correct do you actually support via the plastic undertray?
I which case do you use special flat topped axle stands so the raised edges aren't pushing into the plastic?
Do you have to remove the under trays before jacking? ( I guess you'd need a lift for that )

I can't help feeling I'm missing something and guessing where the structural bits are hidden by the under tray seems like bad idea!
Does anyone happen to have a photo of the axle stand in place showing the correct location?

BTW the undertray seems to run right back to the wheel arch on my car.

·
Super Moderator
29,735 Posts
On my car there is a chassis rail on both sides in the exact place the workshop manual shows it on the saloon.

·
Super Moderator
29,735 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
There are 2 metal plates further in near the exhaust, that linked doesn't work for me so not sure if it's confirming that

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nope, there is a cutout in the undertray.
Hmm there's no cutout on mine other the the one for the factory/wheel change jack at the outside edge of the undertray, so there's an inch or so either side of the seam weld where the factory jack goes, is that what you're referring to?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There are 2 metal plates further in near the exhaust, that linked doesn't work for me so not sure if it's confirming that

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
I think it's the front jacking points that are further in near the exhaust.

·
Super Moderator
29,735 Posts
Hmm there's no cutout on mine other the the one for the factory/wheel change jack at the outside edge of the undertray, so there's an inch or so either side of the seam weld where the factory jack goes, is that what you're referring to?
Nope, further inboard. I'll try and get a photo later.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I tried taking a photo under my car, but there's not really enough room, at least my camera isn't wide angle enough to get a reasonable shot, but had a good look, and there's definitely no holes in the my drivers side rear undertray, though there is a recess just behind the seem weld in line with where there is the marking is for the wheel change jack. ( It's still plastic in the top of the recess though, but no gap above it ) I took a look at the passenger side, and very back outside corner of the undertray is broken off ( a chunk about he size of the head of a good trolley jack), it seems someone has had a trolley jack or pad for a two post lift there, and crushed the undertray!
So it appears right at the back isn't a good location for the jack, at least with the undertray in place.

Does anyone know how/where the rear undertrays are fastened? ( I can see one bolt near the outside edge at the back, but that attaches to where it's broken on the passenger side, and it still seems supported near the middle rear, and I can't see any further bolts. Perhaps the front/middle undertray has to be removed first, but I'm hoping I might could remove the undertray so I can jack up ( probably with the wheel change jack ) and get an axle stand under with certainty it's under the chassis so I can get to my rear brakes. ) It seems more than a little odd to have to remove the undertrays before jacking as there's not much access.

·
Super Moderator
29,735 Posts
Bugger I still haven’t taken that photo.

Anyway there is still another point I have used. Where the metal cross member goes across the rear suspension. I just put an axle stand at each end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts