Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Jaguar XF S 3.0 D
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

Basically the other day the Red warning coolant low level sign came up. So drove back home which was a minutes away. Bought some coolant and topped it up. After some miles of driving , checked again and coolant went down. I don't really drive the car that much but i noticed if i take it on motorway it takes more coolant.

So obviously I have a slow leak somewhere and couldn't see any drops of water on the floor but on close inspection i saw that around one of the the pipes it was wet and a few drops of coolant dropping from it but i couldn't tell if the water was coming form the hose or the pipe. Further inspection and i'm convinced it is coming from the black Phillips style bleed screw. i checked if it was loose but seemed quite tight, i didn't want to mess around with just in case I'd make it worse.

Can anyone please tell me what is the part number of this pipe. or the connector hose?

My Car is Jaguar XF S 3.0D 275 bhp. 2009 Plate.

I did put my fingers around the house and it was completely dry but fingers were wet when feeling around the bleed screw. As you can see from the pics it seems like the water is coming from there and not the hose fitted to it. So what to do. If it is a worn Bleed screw what is the name of this part or worst still would I have to get a whole new pipe? please advise.

Help much appreciated.

C

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Car Gas
Automotive tire Hood Finger Gas Auto part

Thank You
Tire Light Automotive tire Tread Bicycle part
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Automotive wheel system Rim

·
Registered
24,246 Posts
It looks to be either the flow or return to the RH EGR valve. That black plug is probably just a bleed point as it seems to be the high point in cooling system. When the system is cool, try undoing it. I don't know but there could be an O-ring and O-rings perish and fail. Ask NASA.

Reactions: cosmic

·
Registered
Jaguar XF S 3.0 D
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It looks to be either the flow or return to the RH EGR valve. That black plug is probably just a bleed point as it seems to be the high point in cooling system. When the system is cool, try undoing it. I don't know but there could be an O-ring and O-rings perish and fail. Ask NASA.
Hi OBC John. Thank you for your reply and the diagram you sent. I'll undo that screw tomorrow and see if it or any O-ring has deteriorated etc. Let you know soon.

Regards

C

·
Registered
Battery powered superhero
5,037 Posts
Amazon ones are brass, think I'd prefer a plastic one so no dissimilar metals to corrode. In any case, from memory, there's an O-ring fitted to the bleed screw, try replacing that first?

After some miles of driving , checked again and coolant went down.
However, I'd be surprised if this was the main source of the leak, it'd have to be gushing out to make a noticeable loss in a few miles? Have you checked under the oil filler cap for a buildup? I'd next perform a coolant pressure test and a sniff test.

Reactions: FCS, cosmic and Gav

·
Registered
Jaguar XF S 3.0 D
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
"there's an O-ring fitted to the bleed screw, try replacing that first? "

However, I'd be surprised if this was the main source of the leak, it'd have to be gushing out to make a noticeable loss in a few miles? Have you checked under the oil filler cap for a buildup? I'd next perform a coolant pressure test and a sniff test.
[/QUOTE]

Hey thanks for the reply guys.

Cutlea01, Yeah I will check the screw tomorrow morning and obviously will check the 0-ring first and then some other places.

Well at first the leak was very slow as i kept checking after every time i would use the car but in the last two days it's got more noticeable and yeah was checking all over the place for any more water but didn't find any or even steam coming from anyway until today. I could see it coming from under and around the bleed screw.

will keep you posted

Regards

C

·
Registered
Battery powered superhero
5,037 Posts
Oh, pressure test was suggested in order to put the cooling system under cold pressure to see if the leak source would show up by escape of coolant, not to check the system was holding pressure for a set time as we know it's very likely not. Even if you need to buy the tools (pressure test kit and maybe a sniff kit) it'll be lower cost than getting a garage to perform either or both.

·
Registered
Jaguar XF S 3.0 D
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi guys,

update

Long story short. When turning the bleed screw only the top came off (Aaarrgg) so had to figure a way of getting out the plastic bit left inside. see pic
Automotive tire Tire Rim Tread Motor vehicle

I had to cut inside the piece carefully with a small sharp screwdriver. Was working wonders until the last bit, half of the ribbed plastic went through the pipe hole. Oh No! tried to get out with some tweezers but quite impossible. Damn!

Had a brainwave. pull the way pipe out from the hose and use.... (I know some of you are going to laugh.) the Dyson Vacuum cleaner to suction it out. It's the only thing I could think of or else would resign to having to get the whole pipe etc. On top of all this which i forget to mention is that my DPF Red warning light came on before i got home yesterday afternoon. so can't get to any garage.

Anyway need to get this sorted first of course. pics

Light Automotive design Automotive tire Grey Automotive exterior
Light Automotive design Automotive tire Grey Automotive exterior
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Outdoor shoe Orange Walking shoe

Drum Roll! Yes It worked/ I would've post pic here but i threw away the plastic rib in such elation. lol

so now looks like this ;
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Bicycle part Gas

WOW i didn't think such a small thing like this would take so long and Man that caused some stress today lol

Anyway will now order the bleed screw from Amazon. btw is there any other compatible one as this one suggested by johnw777 can't be delivered until first week in Oct.

C

·
Registered
24,246 Posts
If you're a Prime member there are options for next-day delivery. For example, I could have this one tomorrow.

For BMW Radiator Overflow Coolant System Expansion Tank Bleed Screw 171117127 https://amzn.eu/d/69FKJyd

Sent from my Galaxy S10 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24,246 Posts
Hi

Yes I have prime. The link you sent,looks like they don't have the O-Ring. what about the brass ones?

C
As has been pointed out, the problem with the brass one is that it is being screwed into an aluminium (steel?) pipe which will create electrolytic corrosion. Stick with the plastic.

·
Registered
24,246 Posts
Yes, almost as bad as putting metal dust caps on your valve stems. They'll be stuck like the proverbial dog do by the time you come to move them. Plastic all the way!
I've had metal "Jaguar" caps on my summer alloys for years with no issue. But . . . I do apply a smear of copper grease to the valve stem threads whenever they come off.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts