Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
hopefully you have some hints for me. My intercooler just blow off last week during a nice 200 km/h ride on the Autobahn. After one week waiting for the part, I have a new Mahle intercooler assembled by an Indy. Is this a known issue of the 3.0D MY2013 (with 210000 km mileage)? Or is it just bad luck? I only read about a few 3.0D with this defect.

The cat is running well....but.... the coolant level was at maximum when I got the cat back. 1 day later it is at minimum.
No wet parts. No coolant on the floor. And the coolant fan is running for about 1 minute after switch off the engine. Only after short trips. Around 7 km. After a 150 km ride on the Autobahn, the fan didn't show this behaviour. I searched for this behaviour and found several hints regarding Regen of DPF, normal feature, cracked hoses, cracked waterpump, defective thermostate, wrong level of antireez fluid....
First I would like to verify if the fan is just working right. At which coolant temperature will the fan keep running after switch off the engine? 90°C to 120°C ? What is a "normal" coolant temperature under these circumstances: 28 °C ambient temperature + the cat is parked in the sun for about 3 hours + riding home 7 km + climate on. Is it somehow linked to the climate beeing switched on? Is it possible to check the status of the thermostate with the some tools like the iCarSoft CR Pro or the SDD software?

Dirk

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
When my coolant was drained so they could change the water pump I was told it would drop over the next 24 hours and to just top it up with distilled water. Have you topped yours up?

I think mine ran at about 93 degrees C. I monitored it whilst doing regens etc. I'm sure when very hot it's fairly normal for the fan to run for a short while after the engine is off.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. I will check the coolant this evening again. I didn't get the advice with the drop of the Level. Maybe it's just normal. That's what I hope.

·
Administrator
29,688 Posts
It is just air trapped in the system working its way out. So long as the coolant level stays constant after a while, no problem.

Reactions: FCS

·
Administrator
27,821 Posts
Try running the heater on max for a bit to release any air trapped in there.

Reactions: FCS

·
Registered
135 Posts
The torque app will show your coolant temp, mine normally sits around the 90 degrees mark.

The intercoolers blowing are a common fault, seems to happen quicker/more often on the sport version for the 3.0d.

·
Registered
21,308 Posts
The level anomaly could have been air pockets working their way out.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys. Sounds good. So I will observe the level the next days.
The running fan needs more data collection:) but doesn't seem to be a problem. It didn't show this behavior before the repair of the intercooler. Maybe that was a fault 🤔?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Coolant level checked again. Still at minimum level as yesterday. So this should be normal due to some air pockets. I will check it for the next few days.
The fan is still very nervous and will run after turn off the engine. But it was again a very warm day. So maybe this is a normal behaviour. I checked out some temperatures with my iCarSoft tool and some system status information. I will performe a test cycle this week and record some data. Maybe I can find out, if it is a fault or not.

·
Administrator
29,688 Posts
Think my XF's fan would run after shutdown quite often.

·
Super Moderator
12,279 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you for your replies. Looks like my cat is now working as all the other XF and this fan feature wasn't working right in the past :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Everything is ok with the fan. Made several tests. Took some data. Reaction is normal 😀.
Thank you guys.

Now I am waiting for a pick up. The right valve cover cracked again!!!! F***. And I don't have any chiptuning 😞. But 100km away from home.

·
Administrator
29,688 Posts
:(

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
Everything is ok with the fan. Made several tests. Took some data. Reaction is normal 😀.
Thank you guys.

Now I am waiting for a pick up. The right valve cover cracked again!!!! F***. And I don't have any chiptuning 😞. But 100km away from home.
Have you checked your MAP sensor? Might be worth checking if it's fouled up.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you ninjag. Just opened another thread for that :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts