Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

My 2014 xfr has developed a rather loud & annoying constant rattle whilst in motion.

It doesn't do it when stationary with the engine running but as soon as you start to move it starts but doesn't seem to get any louder/faster with speed it just stays the same.
Car was fine yesterday afternoon, came to work this morning and its there.
Braking/steering seem to have no effect on it.

Seems to be coming from drivers side I think.
Any ideas?

· Firm Rampant Member
23,745 Posts
Hi guys

My 2014 xfr has developed a rather loud & annoying constant rattle whilst in motion.

It doesn't do it when stationary with the engine running but as soon as you start to move it starts but doesn't seem to get any louder/faster with speed it just stays the same.
Car was fine yesterday afternoon, came to work this morning and its there.
Braking/steering seem to have no effect on it.

Seems to be coming from drivers side I think.
Any ideas?
Wiring loom?

· Registered
2014 F-Type S V6 coupe most of the fruit and a few mods.
4,091 Posts
My prime culprit would be a loose under-body heat shield.
Next on my list is a loose under-body metal panel, one of those on either side of the centre.

• Helpful
Reactions: OBC John

· Registered
25,010 Posts
I'd also suggest a heat shield. But also, check the exhaust hangers. If one of the rubbers has broken, a part of the exhaust could be "waggling" (technical term).

Reactions: FCS

· Registered
Battery powered superhero
5,743 Posts
Have you got underneath to have a look? Or just trying to get a list of likely culprits? Getting the car in the air and getting under it to check is the only way you'll identify it!

Most likely - lose exhaust heat shield
Lose/broken suspension component
Rock or pebble resting on top of something, e.g. exhaust
Exhaust knocking against bodywork or other structure

You should have heard the racket the rear exhaust heat shield on my XKR made when it fell off so was resting, in its entirety, on top of the rear exhaust silencer. That was silent at tickover and the car stationary, but while driving was a right din, that wasn't altered by speed.

· Registered
2011 XK
12 Posts
lower suspension spherical joints (bottom of strut) make a distinctive sound on certain surfaces, usually heard at low speed.

· Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
so the noise is coming from the O/S front wheel area, i cannot get down to look underneath at the minute due to quite a severe leg issue so its going on a ramp tomorrow for an inspection.
hopefully nothing to serious, deffo sounds like heat shield/brake disc dust plate etc

thanks for all the replies

· Registered
550 Posts
Now that's what I originally thought as had that issue on my impreza however the sound would get worse with speed, the sound I have doesn't get worse with speed it just stays the same
Not necessarily, I had a BMW that picked up a lump of tarmac off a newbuild estate. The sound was got worse when corning left. Its a strange one as there is not a whole lot that can clatter as opposed to knock in that area.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts